Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times

Advertisements

I'm a remote employee and I have weekly meetings (they are called 1:1 meetings) with my immediate supervisor. I call in to a number and we discuss anything he wants to discuss: any issues I'm having, project assignments, etc. He does this with all of his employees. The weekly meetings were implemented after a company survey indicated employees wanted more one on one time with their supervisors. We are encouraged to bring up any issues we want during these meetings. Incidentally, I keep my discussions brief and on topic. I never discuss anything personal or negative.

One of my coworkers happened to call me and tell me that she just found out that these calls are actually on speaker phone in a conference room. Apparently, anyone can be in this room and listen: coworkers, higher ups, etc. The only reason that my coworker found out is because she was mid-conversation with our boss when our VP interrupted the conversation to ask her a question. Freaked her out. Now that I think about it, I have always wondered why he had us call a number that is separate from his desk phone number.

Anyway, I think this is completely unethical. If there are others listening in on phone conversations, I think we should be told. At the very least, we should be told we're on speakerphone. What do you think? Is this common practice now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM

653 posts, read 1,798,433 times
Hell no, they shouldn't keep it a secret.

I object to cameras that watch employees and not potential thieves. OK I object to cameras in any case except security cameras at home. Intrusive. Creepy and spreading.

Whenever I'm talking with a client and he's on speakerphone, I always assume there are other anonymous ones in the room, and I'm cautious.

But thinking about your situation I'd say that it's your boss who's being checked up on. From the sound of it they've had some manager trouble, and your boss is getting some 'adult supervision'.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,414,236 times
I think they should inform you, but hey they are your bosses and unless it's against the law whatcha gonna do about it? I think it is becoming common practice. I would have less of an issue with it if it was just higher ups listening in, but equals being able to hear that yes I have a problem with that.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times
Ooohhh, that's an interesting perspective. I hadn't considered that they were checking up on my boss.

Also, they do have cameras on everybody's work station. I hate that, too, but at least they are out in the open.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,701,441 times
In most states, it's not only unethical, but also illegal.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,015,676 times
And they are recorded?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,472,318 times
They should not have to tell you. This is a place of employment and there is no privacy for general performance 1:1s. As long as the person in the room is on a need to know level then it is ok. I would say a VP is on a need to know level, however if one of your peers is in there, then there could be cause for concern.

I am sure you know this, but in case you do not. Everything you do can be recorded or is recorded. When you are on company time, using company equipment, the do monitor and log everything and they are within their right to do so.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
In most states, it's not only unethical, but also illegal.
For company meetings, 1:1s etc...it is not illegal. A company can monitor everything within limits (restrooms etc...).

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,622,307 times
I don't get the issue of "recordings" (and the responses and commets about that) since the OP NEVER mentioned anything in the explaination about recordings; just that its an "OPEN MIKE" converstaion. Whats the real issue?????

Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I don't get the issue of "recordings" (and the responses and commets about that) since the OP NEVER mentioned anything in the explaination about recordings; just that its an "OPEN MIKE" converstaion. Whats the real issue?????

There is not an issue. I think more of a misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment