U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 PM

449 posts, read 354,963 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best second language someone should learn to make themselves more marketable? In the new global job market, what language will make you stand out as a worthwhile candidate? I know about Spanish already, especially in the public/customer service type arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,404,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
What do you think is the best second language someone should learn to make themselves more marketable? In the new global job market, what language will make you stand out as a worthwhile candidate? I know about Spanish already, especially in the public/customer service type arena.
Chinese, Mandarin I guess, and Russian, German would be good too. Arabic is great if you are going into military/defense type of work.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM

653 posts, read 782,389 times
Arabic!

Although certainly not for me. For me, Danish or Swedish as I'd like to move there.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,012,275 times
Chinese, Hindi, Arabic.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-22-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,881,409 times
If you are going to work for the government, learn Arabic. The feds are always looking for people fluent in Arabic for intelligence. Most of the Arabic population don't like us too much.

If you are working in international, learn Chinese. They are the biggest exporter in the world.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM

1,119 posts, read 532,566 times
Arabic

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,556,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
English is the MOST marketable language.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM

449 posts, read 354,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
English is the MOST marketable language.
English is wonderful and I know how marketable it is but I was just wondering if I should invest some time in learning a second language. It seems like most people from other countries know their own language and English.

It seems Arabic is really popular! I never thought of that. I have thought about Chinese/Mandarin. I had one semester of French in college and Spanish in highschool.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 PM

653 posts, read 782,389 times
I remember 40 years ago in USAF Basic Training when we got our job assignments, my best friend was assigned to language school to learn Mandarin! I thought that he is the lastest, lastest person who would be able to learn Chinese, but they didn't have a choice of language. Don't know what became of him, but I can't believe he made it.

I don't really see the point of Mandarin today, unless you're actually going to live there. The whole idea is they do things cheaper than we do; we are the ones with the money. Whereas with Arabic you have an almost guaranteed job with great pay... although you may get your head sawed off.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,404,654 times
Russian is good too if you are doing defense type of work. The Cold War never completely ended in my view. My wife was brieflly recruited by US Sate Dept. because she is Czech and had to learn Russian growing up. Unfortunately for us, once they found out she was not a US Citizen , at that time, they said no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment