Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 04:25 PM

83 posts, read 435,411 times

Advertisements

From late July to late August, I had been interviewing with a small company. The interview process consisted of the following: a phone interview, two face-to-face interviews with management, and an extensive back ground check.

In late August, I was told that I had impressed everyone and that my background check had come back "clean". I would be brought on as an employee, they just needed to check references.

Now, granted, at 26, I haven't had the longest career, and my longest stretch of employment was 8 months, but I told them that in the interviews. I cannot understand why, six weeks later, I have yet to get an offer. Follow-up calls have not been returned.

I have two theories:

1. They really were not serious about hiring for the position. It took two weeks for them to get back to me regarding the results of my background check, which usually takes a few days to complete. Also, they told me last minute that I would start off as a 1099, and not as a full-time employee, as for them to minimize risk should I not be right for the job.

This pissed me off because I felt as though they intentionally misled me and misrepresented the job at hand.

2. My background check really did NOT come back clean, but they didn't have the balls to tell me they couldn't hire me, so instead, lied and acted as though I had made it to the next step when I in fact had not.

In any case, I find it rude and unprofessional that they don't have the courtesy to phone and/or e-mail and tell me that I'm no longer in the running for the position. I mean, as far as I know, I was the only person they were interviewing.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,792 times
Well, it sounds to me like you were going to get the job. They just don't bother with the next step if you weren't OK.

Usually when this happens it's because you were second choice. First choice said No to the money, and so they went with you, but oh now first choice is back.

Sorry it happened in any case. Time to move forward.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Another situation is that someone else cam in and applied later and was far better qualified. Whatever happened it is rude to
leave someone hanging and not call or at least send a letter. You don't want to work for a company that does that anyway.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
And why would you assume that you were the only person they were interviewing? In this day and age this would be highly unlikely unless you've been nominated for a Nobel or suchlike. Hopefully you didn't stop applying for jobs in the meantime. I agree with Quantum that you just need to let it go and move on. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Playing the devil's advocate, the position could have also been placed on hold due to financial problems (that's why they may want to hire you on as a 1099 contractor instead?), not because there's necessarily anything wrong on your end.

They don't want to tip their hat either way until getting the above resolved.

It has happened with other people before.

That said, it still doesn't excuse the lack of communication since late August. And personally I wouldn't want to work for a company that's not financially stable.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM

83 posts, read 435,411 times
They are among Inc. 5000's "Fastest Growing Companies", and also have VC investment behind them, so I highly doubt it's financially related.

Although, in perusing various ads they had for the job, I do see a significant difference between what they told me they'd pay (roughly $10,000). Perhaps they really couldn't afford me.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
They are among Inc. 5000's "Fastest Growing Companies", and also have VC investment behind them, so I highly doubt it's financially related.
This means nothing. They could be the biggest company in the world, but if a particular team in the company doesn't have money in the budget, they can't afford it. That's what it really sounds like: they want to hire you but they need a way to fudge the numbers around in such a way that they can do it.

At this point, there's not much you can do. Inform them that you're still interested in the position, and just leave it at that.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:

Although, in perusing various ads they had for the job, I do see a significant difference between what they told me they'd pay (roughly $10,000). Perhaps they really couldn't afford me.
Sorry, man. It really means nothing how profitable a company is. It just makes them a bigger target to be bought out by the real players.

I applied at a company and was called back 4 months later! There was a hiring freeze, after Goldman Sachs started negotiations to buy them out. After Goldman Sachs completed the deal, they approved additional hiring for the company.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 15,304 times
I have been terminated for 8 months from Goodwill in SC, they said I was terminated for price gouging, before that I was being written up twice within two months time, I felt that I was being set up by the Store Mgr. which made me feel intidmindated all the the time, I reported it to HR but they said that it wasn't really much of a complaint, next thing I know I was terminated on the third write up I refused to sign on 2nd & 3rd. Now I am afraid to put them on my resume as they will mentioned that I am not rehireable.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
From late July to late August, I had been interviewing with a small company. The interview process consisted of the following: a phone interview, two face-to-face interviews with management, and an extensive back ground check.

In late August, I was told that I had impressed everyone and that my background check had come back "clean". I would be brought on as an employee, they just needed to check references.

Now, granted, at 26, I haven't had the longest career, and my longest stretch of employment was 8 months, but I told them that in the interviews. I cannot understand why, six weeks later, I have yet to get an offer. Follow-up calls have not been returned.

I have two theories:

1. They really were not serious about hiring for the position. It took two weeks for them to get back to me regarding the results of my background check, which usually takes a few days to complete. Also, they told me last minute that I would start off as a 1099, and not as a full-time employee, as for them to minimize risk should I not be right for the job.

This pissed me off because I felt as though they intentionally misled me and misrepresented the job at hand.

2. My background check really did NOT come back clean, but they didn't have the balls to tell me they couldn't hire me, so instead, lied and acted as though I had made it to the next step when I in fact had not.

In any case, I find it rude and unprofessional that they don't have the courtesy to phone and/or e-mail and tell me that I'm no longer in the running for the position. I mean, as far as I know, I was the only person they were interviewing.

Has this happened to anyone else?
More than likely the position changed and will not be filled

You should know if your background check is going to come back clean, why get upset with them for not telling you something you should already know?

More and more companies are doing a 1099, it is much cheaper than hiring a staffing agency, if you do not like that you can always walk away from the position as soon as it is mentioned.

How can you be misled if the facts about the 1099 were mentioned, just because it is not within your accepted time frame does not mean you were mislead.

If you happen to have facebook and posted any of this there and your potential employer saw it, which many check social sites now, it could be the reason you did not get the position or it could be something completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search