Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Lots of people are having a difficult time finding work who didn't do something like this. While it certainly sounds like the "easy" answer to say he isn't getting hired because of his trip, perhaps he just isn't the most qualified.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
A friend of mine bailed out of California and the mess it has become and sold his house and decided on a mid life adventure. He and his wife sold a lot of his things and put the rest in storage and traveled the world for 18 months. He made arrangements to live in 10 different cities in condos or vacation homes all over the world and lived life as a local and bummed around and played tourist too. It was quite an adventure.

Now he has moved out east in a relatively inexpensive town in North Carolina (Cary) where the economy is strong and has been looking for work. Once the potential employers find out about his mid life adventure of living abroad and not working for 18 months they write him off as some type of lazy flake and deep six his employment application. Sometimes his creative resume gets him an interview but once they find out he has not been working for almost two years and hears about his overseas travel, they look at him like he has two heads.

If you were an employer what would you think of that man's story/situation? (He has a strong background in Accounting, an MBA, CPA and lots of great references, etc.)
His 1st problem is living in Cary, NC (I will never make that mistake again).
He should probably leave his travels out of the job seeking process unless it is relevant to the position.
If they ask why there is a gap in his employment he should try to steer the conversation towards what he can do and why he would be a good investment for the company.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
I'm so tired of employers demanding people be a slave to the corporate work world. What the heck happened to having a life? Americans are the only 1st world country where you live to work, not work to live. If you don't fuel the corporate greed monster, you are considered a lazy low-life.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm so tired of employers demanding people be a slave to the corporate work world. What the heck happened to having a life? Americans are the only 1st world country where you live to work, not work to live. If you don't fuel the corporate greed monster, you are considered a lazy low-life.
Yes, that's exactly it. Only the C level execs have a right to take a year off. Not corporate slaves.Thank God I left that world a long, long time ago. Don't miss it at all. Don't miss the crazy Type A's.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
True in Euorpe peole work to have a life, here we work to live. Every day in this economic downturn, and reading these posts I feel like we are all really Slumdog Millionarie. Pretty soon there will be no vacation at all.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
True in Euorpe peole work to have a life, here we work to live. Every day in this economic downturn, and reading these posts I feel like we are all really Slumdog Millionarie. Pretty soon there will be no vacation at all.
And forget retirement. How many people do you hear about retiring nowadays?

My grandfather was fully retired in his 50s and drew a fat pension for the rest of his life. His wife never worked.

My mother is in her late 50s and readily admits that she will be working well into her 60s and probably 70s at least part-time. My father is the same.

That is why I invest 1/3 to 1/2 of my paycheck religiously. The thought of working until you keel over is depressing.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
And forget retirement. How many people do you hear about retiring nowadays?

My grandfather was fully retired in his 50s and drew a fat pension for the rest of his life. His wife never worked.

My mother is in her late 50s and readily admits that she will be working well into her 60s and probably 70s at least part-time. My father is the same.

That is why I invest 1/3 to 1/2 of my paycheck religiously. The thought of working until you keel over is depressing.
You are smart. I have a similar frugal Millionare Next Door attitute and it has allowed me not to worry as much about money. I have a little chuckle for my former co-workers that would spend their big commission checks and now are in deep trouble driving their BMW's and are close to foreclosure. They would always rip me about being a cheap skate because I didn't have the latest, but now look who is laughing. That was bad I should not laugh at their pain, hopefully they learned their lesson.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'd think of it this way

"Here's a guy who just felt like taking 18 months off. What if he decided to do it again? Obviously, work is not a priority for this guy."
I agree.
The economy is tough and this guy gives up his job to take a 2 year vacation?
I totally love what he did, but it was not very strategically sound (as he is now discovering).

Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 PM

96 posts, read 306,311 times
I think it's ridiculous that no one will hire him for that. What's wrong with living life for awhile instead of grinding on the treadmill like everyone else just to acquire 'stuff'? I'm sorry, but life isn't about work- it's about...well, LIVING!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I doubt that would the reason he's not hired but it could be a factor.

On the other hand, it's absolutely stupid to masquerade this during interview. When being asked about the gap, he could just simply say "I was out of country for family reasons." Nothing more needed to be said. Nobody would press any future either.

The three rule in an interview are: relevance, relevance, relevance. If it's not related to the job, keep your mouth shut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment