Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,621,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I think it's ridiculous that no one will hire him for that. What's wrong with living life for awhile instead of grinding on the treadmill like everyone else just to acquire 'stuff'? I'm sorry, but life isn't about work- it's about...well, LIVING!

Agreed

Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM

387 posts, read 635,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
So if there is a large number of college graduates and highly skilled applicants in a metro area that makes it harder to find a job? Interesting logic. I would think that the opposite would be true. The Greater Raleigh Durham/Chapel Hill area has one of the highest percentages of college educated people in the United States and as a result many companies that need highly trained employees have moved to the Triangle. Success creates more success and more and more companies are moving in to make use of the highly skilled workforce.
In normal economic circumstances, I would agree. And that definitely has been a driving factor for our growth for the past 10-15 years in this area. However, many skilled, college/university-educated people lost jobs between 2008 and 2012. Many of these people are still job hunting. During that same time frame, colleges have been churning out graduates, most of whom are also looking for jobs. As the economy is rebounding, and jobs open up, the competition right now is fierce. The job scene is picking up. There are jobs out there. But it can take quite a while, and for someone who may not have any contacts/networks in the area (the OP did say the friend just decided to settle in Cary because it's cheap, and it's perceived to have a thriving economy), but did not indicate he knew anyone in the area, or knew anything about the job market. That will make it much more difficult.

As far as a large number of college graduates and highly skilled applicants making firms want to move to the Triangle, this is starting to happen again. But it's slow moving. I believe things are looking up, and companies are investing in and moving to this area due to the skilled, educated residents of the area. But for the time being, competition for jobs is a very real thing, and for someone new to the area, with potentially minimal contacts, I don't believe the choice to travel extensively is the primary problem with the job search.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,536,219 times
Lots of people would love to do what he did but can't afford it. The fact that he had the money to travel does not really make him more 'dynamic and interesting' than everyone else.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM

653 posts, read 1,798,078 times
About ten years ago I came to the conclusion that I am incompetent at job-hunting. Deciding this alone, set me on the path to figure out where I'm failing and how I can improve.

I found that my obvious wonderful personality, and sterling education and accomplishments... were not so obvious to others. That there are -alot- of others out there who just looked better than me to employers. So I learned, probed, questioned, and stuck with the hunt, and finally got together a half-decent act.

After three months I don't have a new job yet, but I think I'm doing the best I can.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,750,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'd think of it this way

"Here's a guy who just felt like taking 18 months off. What if he decided to do it again? Obviously, work is not a priority for this guy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
The economy is tough and this guy gives up his job to take a 2 year vacation?
I totally love what he did, but it was not very strategically sound (as he is now discovering).
Maybe its because I've thought of doing the same (12 months off traveling the world), but shouldn't the fact that he was so financially prepared to take 18 months off from working play into this at all? Most people can barely make ends meet working full time and are a paycheck away from going under. This guy? He's got 5 figures, maybe 6 in his bank account. He basically stepped away from a unprofitable market, used his money to fullfil a life's dream, and now he's back to work hard.

Unless this guy tapped his 401k, took a 2nd mortgage out, and left kids at home with grandparents, given references, skills, and general demeaner, I wouldn't hesitate to hire him.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,063,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm so tired of employers demanding people be a slave to the corporate work world. What the heck happened to having a life? Americans are the only 1st world country where you live to work, not work to live. If you don't fuel the corporate greed monster, you are considered a lazy low-life.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,831,785 times
He should lie on his resume by not showing the 18 month gap of no-work. Also, he SHOULD NOT mention his 18 month trip at all. Problem solved.

-Cheers.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,720,741 times
It will be easy for the guy to say that he did charity work in some other country. HR and managers see a gap and think that the applicant is lazy. There's more to life than work.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,720,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Lots of people would love to do what he did but can't afford it. The fact that he had the money to travel does not really make him more 'dynamic and interesting' than everyone else.
Traveling made that person more 'dynamic and interesting' because he has been to more places than everyone else. He probably saved up $ so he can travel the world.

What other countries have you been to? If you never set foot outside this country, please stop trolling.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,912,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Does the job he was interviewing for require the person to be "dynamic, interesting and enlightened"?

Again, it would be a lot better to use my answer.

Even the job requires international travel, I would simply answer that "I have traveled to many countries in the world, and I love different culture and work with different people."

That will be enough.
It has been my experience that managers do not like employees to be more 'dynamic, interesting and enlightened' than they are. To me, they are a very greedy and jealous bunch. Not all, but most.

I think, rather than we treating our employees in a civilized manner, as in much of Europe, the European worker is becoming more of a jobslave, as in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment