Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 72,236 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some feedback on my resume. This is my first time planning to apply to random jobs that teenagers would commonly apply to for their first time: Zellers, Wal-mart, Second Cup, Tim Hortons, Target, Cineplex, etc.. I am 21 years old and recently been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression. I've had social anxiety ever since I was a kid and it really prevented me from being able to live a normal life. I've always wanted a job since my sister worked when she was really young and she always had to take care of the family. My fear of social situations prevented me from applying to jobs and I always get nervous just thinking about it. Due to my SA, I've also never been able to volunteer. It's hard for me to leave my room right now to apply in person, but I want to prepare a resume in case that I actually manage to get out there and face my fears. What I'm really hoping for is a job where I don't interact with the same person for more than like a minute. Jobs like cashiers or being a waiter in a coffee shop would be ideal jobs since I'd be seeing lots of people for a very small amount of time for each person.

The only experience that I have is helping my aunt with her food business. It's not really a restaurant, but more of a take-out business that she manages at home. So we get customers calling in placing orders days before and I would help with food preparation.

Sorry about the crappy formatting. Copy and pasting from word ruined it, but I'm just concerned about the content.
The objective statement that I currently have is geared more towards fast food places, though I do want to apply to other areas.

I also wasn't sure about the interests/hobbies section. I think its a useless section, but I can't think of anything else to replace it with to cover up the whitespace.

All tips, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
First Job Resume - No work or volunteer experience, have social anxiety/depression-first-job-resume.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
I suspect that most Walmart applicants don't have a resume. Your resume is great for a first job. It's organized and easy to read. You will beat 99% of the competition. I would get rid of the technology awards and reword the skills section. The skills section is too focused on biology and not enough on food prep and customer service. The technology awards don't fit for this type of job. You have to customize the resume for each job.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
The resume is good. I would move the work experience to above the education. I work in recruiting, and I look at resumes all day...the one you have here gives the impression that you are in school but do not have work experience that is current. It is common for people to put their "most recent" at the top. So, I would swap the work experience and the education. other than that, looks good.

Also, in the future when you have more work experience I would remove the "hobbies" section (sorry, I do not recall exactly what you called it) but it is good for now.

And, change it to "employment history" or even "work experience" from relevant experience...makes it more broad. If you say "relevant" and are applying for a cashier, I would expect cashier experience in the area. Does that make sense?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Well I have some family members with GAD so I know what you are talking about. I know this isn't mental health forum, but a limited amount of klonopin has allowed them to ease their anxiety. Also you might like jobs were you don't interact with people as much to lower your anixety. But hey that's awesome you want to face your fears head on. Your own immersion therapy so to speak.

A candiate for WallMart with a resume you are golden Also embelish a bit on the food experience they will eat that up, bad pun sorry, but seriously I would love it as a food deli manager at Wallmart.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 72,236 times
I was wondering just from taking a glance at my resume, what kinds of questions would you ask of me if you wanted to interview me. I'm really nervous about the interview part and I really don't know how to respond to any question that might be asked. I'm not in a good place in my life where I can just spew out answers from the top of my head right now. I actually have to practice my answers beforehand.

I forgot to mention that I'm taking a year off to focus on getting a job and overcoming my anxiety. I actually didn't finish my biochem degree because I was fed up with it and switched to comp sci.

From the top of my head:

-why haven't I had a job yet? should I mention my SA?
-why am I taking a year off?
-why don't I have any volunteer experience?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinghan View Post
I was wondering just from taking a glance at my resume, what kinds of questions would you ask of me if you wanted to interview me. I'm really nervous about the interview part and I really don't know how to respond to any question that might be asked. I'm not in a good place in my life where I can just spew out answers from the top of my head right now. I actually have to practice my answers beforehand.

I forgot to mention that I'm taking a year off to focus on getting a job and overcoming my anxiety. I actually didn't finish my biochem degree because I was fed up with it and switched to comp sci.

From the top of my head:

-why haven't I had a job yet? should I mention my SA?
-why am I taking a year off?
-why don't I have any volunteer experience?
No don't mention your SA they will discriminate against you for that, they will just do it secretly and say you weren't the best fit. They would be concerned you would raise their healthcare costs or be unable to show up due to SA. My friend has Bipolar and when it starts to get close to unmanagable she just tells co workers she has ADHD or drank to much coffee. It's sad but anything mental health related in this country is stigmatized.

I would consider saying you were helping out a sick family member, which is a bend of truth, because you were, yourself! I know I have seen some good excuses people have come up with on this board, seach around and I am sure a nice person can chime in.

I will think about #3 and get back to you.

You need to practice interviewing. This is a game that you want to win and can. You just have to sharpen your skills for the game and that comes with practice. Really consider doing some mock interviews with friends/family and even consider video taping them. Really if you think of it as a game you will have better results. Too much honesty is a bad thing in landing a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search