Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,980,681 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't give up on using temp/employment services. When I first got out of the military in 1990, and every time I've moved (a few), I've found almost all of my jobs through temp services. Like you, my social skills have never been great, in my case thanks to severe allergies and allergy induced asthma. And I didn't have a network of people to help locate a job. Without temp services it would have been probably 10 times tougher for me to find work.

One thing I'd suggest, when applying at temp services, try to get in the door to talk to them face to face. Most of them want applicants to apply on their website, but some how, some way, you need to personalize it by meeting them in person. And after applying, testing and filling out all the required paperwork, make sure you continue to call back once a week. I used to ask them what day of the week was best to call. For some it was Friday, others a different day. Alot of employers prefer going through temp services. There are companies who will tell you they aren't hiring, yet have orders in with a temp service to fill a position. It could be just a temp position, or a temp to hire position. Unfortunately, some of those temp to hire positions can last for two or three years before a person is hired in, but at least it would be a start until you can find a better or long term job.

And when applying at temp services make sure they understand you'll take vitually anything. Maybe you have, but what may have happened is that they saw your degree and figured that's what you wanted to do. I realize in those situations it can be nerve-wracking for a more introverted person to express and be clear on what they are looking for, but it's critical that they understand. Even if it's just an $8/hour clerical job, at least that would be a start and gain you job experience. Obviously having a degree you wouldn't want to stay in a low paying clerical job forever, but until you can find a job in your field you'll have some money coming in.

Any temp service you've applied at, call them and let them know you are still available. And ask if they mind if you call them once a week to stay in touch in case something comes up. Another idea might be to ask them if they need you to train on certain software programs. Temp services will often let people train in their office using the services' computers and training/testing software. Often for simple office jobs you need to know certain software and test at an acceptable level. That would also make the temp service see you are motivated to find a job.

When I first moved to Omaha, Nebraska, I had some bad experiences with temp services. The next to last one I applied at was really bad. The lady could not have been ruder. I had a great work history, including six years in the Navy, and a good work history for over a decade after my military service. She acted like I had done nothing. Told me after I found a job, they might be able to find work for me. It bothered me alot considering I needed a job bad.

The next day, a Friday, I layed in bed thinking, maybe I'll just wait until next Monday to try again. I was defeated. But something made me get up anyway, get showered, and I started calling other employment services. It just so happened Mutual of Omaha had a couple of temp positions starting the following Monday, and a particular temp service that I called had the contract and was desperate to fill the positions. I was in luck. I took their tests, filled out the paperwork and got the job. Ended up working three different assignments over a three and a half year period at Mutual of Omaha, before moving.

That's also a testament to the fact the temp services often forget about people already in their system. I'm sure they had qualified people already in their system who were available, but instead of calling them, they took a couple of new people. So stay in touch after applying.

Also, this time of year, maybe seasonal work at department stores, etc., will be available soon.

Good luck and don't give up or get too discouraged. We are pulling for you. So when you feel nervous while waiting for an interview or whatever, remember there are people who wish you the best. And don't look at the interviewer as the enemy who wants to judge you harshly. They are only doing their job, and want to find a good person to fill the position.

Let us know how your job search turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:50 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,980,681 times
I went to that link for Clark Howard's list of at home jobs, and noticed he also listed a couple of survey companies that pay for taking surveys and some have focus groups that pay more than just filling out surveys.

For the past couple of years I've filled out surveys for several companies. I've never been called for focus groups, but I will say be aware that many companies are not honest when it comes to paying for the surveys you complete. There are times I haven't received the compensation or the survey hangs up after I've been in it for up to 40 minutes. And the pay for them is so low it's almost not worth it. I've stuck it out with mysurvey.com, and about once a quarter I cash in between $15-25 dollars. Like I said it's very very low pay. Pinecone Research pays $3/survey, and I received on average two per month before I quit them. I didn't like their terms of agreement so I discontinued.

While you're looking for a job, it wouldn't hurt to fill out surveys online during your free time. It'd be easy to do them at the end of your day after you've completed your job searching for that particular day. Like I said it hardly pays, and some companies aren't fair in paying, but a few bucks here and there wouldn't hurt. I have a job and still enjoy filling them out and cashing in once in awhile. And I even won 10,000 points on Mysurvey.com recently, which is the equivalent of about $90.90. Some people win 50,000 points, and every quarter I think it's three people that win $4000.

Mysurvey123.com has lists of survey companies, some reviews and even a message board. That's where I got started.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Usually, the easiest jobs to get into are retail. Consider working at Best Buy, OfficeMax (if you have a decent one nearby), etc. You can learn quite a bit in retail depending on how much exposure you are given and responsibilities such as inventory management, using SAP for Retail software, customer service skills, and gain valuable sales experience.

Before you consider working somewhere, try to walk in and do some basic observations. See if employees enjoy working there and how involved management is and try to talk to the employees. This will give you a good idea whether or not you would enjoy working there.

Also, check out Glassdoor.com for information on various companies (e.g. salaries, reviews, interview process & questions asked).

Good Luck!
apparently, the retail, customer-service jobs, even fast-food jobs, have the highest competition in terms of getting hired

Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,133 times
i would get the nurse certification that you wanted, then find a job some where else like big cities. Many hospital has nurse shortage all over the country.

http://www.nursingworld.org/nursingshortage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment