Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM

22 posts, read 27,169 times

Advertisements

I am 24 and never had a job. I know this is my fault. My social abilities are low. I really don’t have any references. Literally, I have no friends or acquaintances. I have a bachelor degree. The reason I asked is because I have applied everywhere. I mean I have applied at all the places people tell you to like McDonald’s Burger King, Walmart, Home Depot, grocery stores, and temp agencies. Even cleaning jobs are requiring experience.

Any temp agency hire without work experience ? Should I try to get a cna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
What have you been spending time doing? Maybe you can parlay that into an interview.

What is your degree?

What do you like to do?

I wouldn't go for a CNA unless you would like that type of work. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to your patients and you would grow tired of it, but may feel boxed in to continuing to do it.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieFan View Post
Should I try to get a cna?
Certification 'N Accreditation?
Certified Novell Administrator?
Certified Nursing Assistant?
Certified National Accountant?

Any cert will help, but it's time to go to work. Look for unpaid internships on Craigslist, Monster, and LinkedIn. If you can last six months you've got a launching pad.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Have you looked at your university's career services? Majority of the graduates from my school get jobs through career services. Employers are looking for entry level people with minimal experience there. Unfortunately, on general job boards, experience is generally required.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 PM

@ Magnolia Bloom
I been trying to volunteer;however, there are not many opportunities in a small town. Most places I called say they don't have anything available. My degree is in general business/marketing. I would like to work in the non-profit area.

@Quantum
Certified Nursing Assistant. I live in a small town and I have searched for unpaid internships;however, there are none in my area.

@NJBest
My college career service is really not that good.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
What interests do you have exactly? It's clear you want a job, but what type of field really interests you?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieFan View Post
@ Magnolia Bloom
I been trying to volunteer;however, there are not many opportunities in a small town. Most places I called say they don't have anything available. My degree is in general business/marketing. I would like to work in the non-profit area.
Don't just call. Walk in! Have an idea ahead of time about what you can contribute to their non-profit and ask if they have any opportunities to volunteer doing X. I worked with non-profits for years and we never turned down someone who seriously wanted to help us. There were volunteer jobs for all.

One phone call isn't gong to cut it. Push out of your comfort zone, get your interview clothes on and go out there and ask about opportunities. Let them see YOU and your determination. Doing that will also give you the confidence to go out and look for a job. Again, phone calls don't cut it- put yourself in front of the employers and let them know you mean business.

You have much to contribute. Maybe you need to think about what that is. You have succeeded to get a degree, so don't sell yourself short! That is what your post sounds like, but could be BC you haven't had much success.

Since you are starting with a blank slate job-wise, I would really think about what YOU like to do. Go for what you want, settle for what you have to.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 PM

@andywire

I am interested in working with non profits. I really into scheduling careers.
For example this job with the American Red Cross,
https://www.americanredcross.apply2j...CurrentPage=67

other scheduling could be events.

I wish there was an American Red Cross in my area to volunteer at.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM

25,932 posts, read 22,083,977 times
A lot of public offices take volunteers because of cutbacks in funding. You might try the Chamber of Commerce in your area and maybe they know of some events or just anything that you could get involved in to meet people and make contacts. Really, at 24, you need to show that you have ambition any which way you can. You may need to relocate in order to find a job that is such a "specialty".

Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM

@Magnolia Bloom

Thanks for the encouragement. I do lack confidence. I am applying to Walmart and places like fast food; but, I am not getting called for an interview. However, when you go back into these places you see new people hired for example teenagers. I know they need experience too; but, I just want a chance. I know this is all my fault. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment