Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM

380 posts, read 1,155,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Not necessarily. Some companies are so cheap the regular folks like me get laid off with nothing. Our AVP was let go and only got a couple of months severance!

I agree with others it's a nice way of saying your are fired. As long as it was just for downsizing or performance than the person should be able to get UI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Not necessarily, unless you are in a union position where these are mandated, severance is not mandatory.

It is likely that this is being handled as a layoff, a no fault situation, which saves face for the ex-employee and reduces the paperwork (and potential litigation) for the employer.
Even if he didn't get severance there still should be more to it if he were laid off. It sounds like the guy was fired. But, then again, maybe smaller companies handle things differently. When I was laid off it was clear that was what it was. There was info on our retirement plan and vesting, severance pay, info on how to apply for unemployment benefits, and HR could answer any other questions. Plus, I was "employed" with the company for 30 days before the lay off was effective. However, I didn't work those 30 days. They gave us time to find another job within the company before officially letting us go. Obviously, every company doesn't do it this way. But, I would think if he were laid off or downsized that would have been made clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
In my opinion:

"I have to let you go" = laid off
"Your terminated" = your fired

There is a clear difference between the two terms.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
If he were laid off he would have gotten a severance package.
And look unicorns and puppies are flying in the sky. Look bags of money have appeared in my lap. The world is great! There are thousands of people that have been laid off without the idea of a severance package. lulz at this poster.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
And look unicorns and puppies are flying in the sky. Look bags of money have appeared in my lap. The world is great! There are thousands of people that have been laid off without the idea of a severance package. lulz at this poster.

I must be a unicorn because I got a severance package when I was laid off. LULZ, at you!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
I must be a unicorn because I got a severance package when I was laid off. LULZ, at you!
Your "logic" is faulty.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
In my opinion:

Even if somoen agrees that there is a clear difference, that does not mean that people that use those terms understand the difference.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
The salient point here is that Unemployment Compensation is available to any employee "who loses their job through no fault of their own" That standard generally allows for payments unless the discharge was for willful misconduct, and more and more emplyers are taking the stance that fighting the claim on the grounds of mere sub-par performance isn't worth the effort.

"Severance packages" are rare, and usually limited to cases in which a major corporate employer closes a long-established facility, or furloughs a long-term employee under the conditions cited previously.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
If he were laid off he would have gotten a severance package.
I hope you're joking.

Otherwise, you have a very skewed perspective of reality.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
In my opinion:

This. These are the definitions. If you are fired, you will know if you are fired.

As for severance packages...I got one of those one time....

After I got fired!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 78,145 times
I've been laid off twice in the past four years and all I got as "severance" was my unused vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment