Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It is one consideration but not the only one. The US Postal Service has the best job security anywhere and some of the most miserable employees. Secure in a rotten job is no good.
AMEN!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Good pay for rewarding work with good people. Security would be nice, but in this economy it is an illusion.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Would you be willing to sacrifice job satisfaction and pay just to remain in a job that is very difficult to get removed from? I am comparing federal jobs which are more permanent to private sector jobs which are at will.
yeah apparently the retail, fast-food, customer-service jobs have the weakest job security

Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Would you be willing to sacrifice job satisfaction and pay just to remain in a job that is very difficult to get removed from? I am comparing federal jobs which are more permanent to private sector jobs which are at will.
Nope.

I have a job right now that I could keep for as long as I want, but the management, the environment all pretty much sucks. So this week I should find out the results of a background check for an offer I just accepted and regardless whether or not I pass, I will still be turning in my notice. I have "go to hell" money saved just for that. There really is not ANY amount of money that would make me stay.

Granted, I am in a higher income range than most people. I am also completing up an MBA at a top 20 school where we have very solid recruitment numbers and I am blessed to have a really strong network (I have only been looking seriously for 30 days). So my situation is not the same as say if I were my mom who makes sub 30k a year. Even if I were to take out student loans for living expenses should I run out of go to hell money I would still rather absorb that debt then work at my current workplace.

So.. for me environment means everything. As does leadership. If you have nonexistent leadership and if they only care about themselves then I could care less how "secure" the job is. It is just something that I cannot personally tolerate.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
With food and energy prices steadily going through the roof, pay is marginally more important to me than job security.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The US Postal Service has the best job security anywhere
Not any more.

I know first hand several people who work for the Post Office.

The environment is much different than what it was 10-15 years ago.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
With food and energy prices steadily going through the roof, pay is marginally more important to me than job security.
I agree with you. If our pay won't cover what we need, to heck with security.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I agree with you. If our pay won't cover what we need, to heck with security.
EDIT: The guy at Shawdowstats showed some statistics that suggests if inflation was calculated the same way it was during the Jimmy Carter years, it would be at 8% right now.

Besides, I'm also of the stance that if you're a damn good employee, short of a major contraction in said industry no employer will let you go.

The bigger task now is not keeping a job, but landing one (which is next to impossible for many folks).

Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
I would give anything to get some job security. I have absolutey zero job security at my job, since it's an at-will position. It is rough going to work every day knowing it could be my last day. The worst part is that the company I work for is just about the only company in my field that I would consider to be a reasonable commute. I'm sorry, but I don't consider being on the train at 5 AM or earlier every day to be a reasonable commute.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I would give anything to get some job security. I have absolutey zero job security at my job, since it's an at-will position. It is rough going to work every day knowing it could be my last day.
That's how it is for most of us, unfortunately. You are absolutely correct that anyone in an at-will employment situation does not have job security. Like I said before, even if the job is stable, **** off the wrong guy or don't "fit in" well, and you very well could be out the door.

Unions definitely have their drawbacks, but I will say that they do provide a level of protection that non-union people do not enjoy. Do you sleep well at night knowing that your ability to live and eat can be cut off because some random person (your boss) one day decides he just doesn't like you? I sure don't.

That's why it is absolutely important to keep an emergency fund, in case your boss gets a bug up his ass one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment