Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
It's one of the highest paying jobs you can get with a 2 year degree. When my cousin went back to school he really thought about going into nursing after seeing the potential income and job security. He was even told by a counselor that male nurses are even more in demand than female ones. It's well known that the one downside to the job is the hours and the nature of the work, not to mention it's a female dominated field thus there is a ton of drama surrounding the workplace at all times. That was my nephews biggest complaint with the job when I asked him if he enjoyed his job. Long story short he ended up getting a two year in HVAC and has had steady work for the last 5 years. He currently makes close to 50k a year, is usually off before 4 and doesn't work weekends.

Since when is nursing a 2 year degree? A bachelors in nursing takes 4 years at most universities.

A Licensed Practical Nurse is something else and I'm not sure how long their training is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
It seems like EVERYONE is trying to be or wants to be a nurse. Is that the new "it career"?

What's the appeal? Nurses do crappy work.
It's the $$$$$$$$$$$$'s and nothing else, pure and simple.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Since when is nursing a 2 year degree? A bachelors in nursing takes 4 years at most universities.

A Licensed Practical Nurse is something else and I'm not sure how long their training is.
RN boards requires two years (the associates).

You're thinking of the BSN, which basically gives you the ability to pursue management positions off the floor and be more competitive. You're still an RN just as someone who earned their associates, same scope of practice, just making a dollar or so more per hour (locally, atleast) vs an RN with the associates.

BSN is two years closer to Nurse Practitioner, which is another reason to get it over the associates.

LPNs are the one year variety, with a more limited scope of practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
It seems like EVERYONE is trying to be or wants to be a nurse. Is that the new "it career"?

Lots of job opportunities, wages you can live on, and much easier than being a doctor. Also doesn't require being a very good student, so it's a field open to almost anyone. Moreover, there is the possibility of getting licensed in only 2 years for those who don't want to or can't afford 4. There are very few opportunities like that.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:

The "Boomers" aging will support jobs in the health care field for several decades. It's all a matter of getting and keeping a steady job, whether it is deemed "crappy" in some people's eyes or not.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Heh. My hospital pretty much only hires new grads (and has tons of applicants) and new grads go to nights if that's what's available. Now, they get pretty good orientation and there are a couple of "extra" nurses around to help out (if not covering sick calls) but yes, new grads will work nights.
I feel vulnerable because I have so many years of experience and am not cheap labor. I'm sure the joint will be happy when old dinosaurs like me retire.
I worked five months of surgical at night. It was like being a super-pressured waitress and people could die and stuff. It was grueling *and* boring. So I went to psych/detox at a very good place. I've jumped ship to less-good places for various reasons and learned my lesson again and again.
Many of us work nights to avoid "politics" and personal junkola. If you work nights, they're pretty pleased if you show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No, they do not have to work the night shift. That is bogus. lol No hospital would dare put a new graduate on the night shift with no team to back them up. Only nurses with seniority work the midnight shift.

You obvious have a bias against nursing so you have lost all credibility with me.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Nurses do care and when they become advanced practice nurses (nurse practitioners) they make super salaries. In our area start at well over 6 figures.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM

96 posts, read 171,949 times
Just thought I would add my experiences in nursing to this forum:
I graduated 12 years ago with my B.S.N. in nursing and I love it. We are not a unionized state, although it might be nice if we were. I was a single mom and needed something I could support my daughter on. Something if I moved anywhere else I could get a job, and nursing, although not for everybody, for me it was that job.

I started out making OK hourly pay at the hospital. Because of childcare restrictions, I couldn't work the night shift. I interviewed at several hospitals until I found my first job on the presurgical/recovery room area of the hospital. The latest I had to work was 9pm. But I also didn't start til 12 so it wasn't that bad. I am white, but did not experience racism from any African-Americans I have worked with. Perhaps it is the place. But I believe everybody should be treated with respect and to treat others as you would want to be treated. (I haven't worked in the nursing homes, I hear that is truly horrible in that setting).

Admittedly, nursing is a hard profession. If you don't care about your patients or are doing it for the money, it is not worth it. It is not for you and you should not go into it. Truly, I feel it was more of a "calling" for me. I loved working with my patients. There are many fields you can go into, so please choose what will make you happy and don't choose to be miserable.

After the hospital, I went into home health nursing and hospice for several years. I loved that also. Day hours, occasional visits on the weekends, overall not bad. I enjoyed caring for patients in their homes and building a relationship with them while providing their care. Hospice especially had it's challenges, but I enjoyed it. It, however, paid the least of any nursing job I ever had and required too much call so I could not stay there long.

Since I had my Bachelor's degree, I was able to go into hospital case management as a nurse, so that is where I went next. It is a Monday-Friday 8-5 job. No patient care sadly, but you work more to assist patients with discharge needs, make sure they meet the appropriate status to be in the hospital, and communicate with insurance companies about their stay.

After that, I moved into Quality. I currently work for a local Quality Improvement Organization at the state level to assist with measures to improve hospital quality. These measures are tied to their reimbursement so hospitals have nurses in their quality departments to assist them in meeting these guidelines. I work a condensed government schedule M-TH, 1/2 day Friday, next Friday off, at a substantial salary with government holidays (which really can't be beat) and weekends off with government benefits. I truly love my job. I have such a substantial salary my husband is able to be a stay-at-home dad when he was laid off and it has worked out very well for both of us. I never have to worry about layoffs or not finding another job.

I will be working toward my master's degree in the future, just because a lot of people in the organization I work for at the state QIO have that and I believe it would help me further my career.

For me, being a nurse is truly the best decision I ever made for me and my family.

If you do go into nursing:
1) Get your bachelor's degree. Many will say it is a "waste" but you will limit yourself to floor nursing forever without it. You will go back for it eventually anyway, so just get it if you can.
2) Make sure it is truly what you want to do. There are many different fields and types of nursing. I should know, I've done a lot of them! Employers actually value your experience when you change jobs in this field, which is a plus. I have had over 8 jobs in the last 13 years and my experiences are invaluable. I'm not saying you shouldn't stay in the area you are in if you are happy, but sometimes making a change is good.
3) Travel nursing can also open you up to new experiences and places. I have never had the opportunity to do that, but someday, I will!

Hope this helps and offers some encouragement.
(Also, I am not skinny or fat, just active. I work out 4-5 x a week...not that it's anybody's business! LOL

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No, they do not have to work the night shift. That is bogus. lol No hospital would dare put a new graduate on the night shift with no team to back them up. Only nurses with seniority work the midnight shift.

You obvious have a bias against nursing so you have lost all credibility with me.
No, dear, nurses with senority work days.....

Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I wonder how many people posting here are actually nurses..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I am!!!!! I also teach AND am an APRN and I usually don't post on threads such as this, but sometimes I can't help myself. Be sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment