Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times

Advertisements

14 months since being laid off, with very few nibbles along the way, I finally landed a contract position which should last 1.5 yrs maximum, if I do well. It will give me some breathing room. It won't turn into a permanent position due to various big corp headcount reasons, but I'm happy and grateful to have the opportunity in this economy.

Some stats for those who like to know

- 20+ years work experience, including a couple very well-known companies
- Only what I did over the last 5 to 10 years was of any interest.
- Advanced degree (MBA) -- * this does not impress anyone if it's not from a top 3 school, which mine is not*
- None of my local networking efforts netted me any leads or assistance.
- It was a call out of the blue from a recruiter I never met or heard of and it just happened to work out...in other words sheer luck and timing and I guess I interviewed well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
How did the recruiter find your contact info?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Congratulations. That is great news!

I just went from cold as ice to on fire in the span of 2 hours. I have a job interview Monday with software company that pays well. Then I got a call from a company I have been interviewing with, and have another interview on Wed. All good paying jobs in outsides sales with the realistic potential to make north of 80k first year. I have another 2 realistic possibilites but have closed for the interview yet.

Most recruiters find me on linkedin. That is where I am getting my best luck. move4ward I find the top recruiters ( they have the most connections on linkedin ) and connect with all of them. They network and share jobs and placement fees so its like sales its a numbers game. Then I drill down more and find the top recruiters specfic to my fields of interest and link with them. I never changed my work status from my last employer because I found companies discriminate against the unemployed, when they ask I tell them and it gives me a chance to overcome their objection.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How did the recruiter find your contact info?
I posted my resume on a couple job boards (Monster and somewhere else). I don't remember which one he saw it on, but he had sent out an email which I'm sure he sent out to several people, and I jumped on it as soon as it came in. I'm also on Linked-In but I've never had anyone contact me using my info there.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
I've had no luck on LinkedIn.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
good for you lottamoxie ! thanks for posting this --- it's encouraging for me, I'm in a similar situation.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Glad you landed. It is such a relief from the constant hassle of looking. Hope it lasts.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Lottamoxxie,

I have not had any luck with Monster.com. My resumes may have been lost in a sea of applicants.

Linkedin is great. Recruiters contacted 2-3 times a week, while hunting. I dialed it down, after I had a few interviews. I had a Linkedin offer for $60/hr for a contract position. It was pretty good money, but I was worried about being let go. I ended up with a job from Indeed, which is another great site.

Colorado xxxxx,

That's awesome with the interviews. The 4th quarter just started. I am sure some positions were put on hold until after the 3rd quarter. Did you update your resume with numbers to back up your awards, yet?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
That's awesome with the interviews. The 4th quarter just started. I am sure some positions were put on hold until after the 3rd quarter. Did you update your resume with numbers to back up your awards, yet?
I am going to do that tomorrow before my interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment