Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You don't have to be 60 to remember this. In the early 90's, I'd get job offers out of the blue every 3-4 months. That was only 20 years ago. I miss those days too...
Try 6 years ago.

I used to fight to keep recruiters off the phone when I was at my job.

In 2006, I left my then present job and accepted another job and then resigned the next day because there were some red flags that led me to believe there was no way it would work out long term and I figured each day I stayed I'd be doing more harm than good.

Within a month I had two more offers.

All four jobs were in the IDEAL location which I wanted too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
In the good ol days, Americans weren't competing with places like MyVisaJobs.com or had diveristy hiring policies that exclude qualified Americans.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM

29,804 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Seems like the same ol BS, just a different flavor. The only hope is to learn to do something better than the next guy in line. The boss can only push you so far if there aren't lines of qualified candidates on their knees begging for your job.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Try 6 years ago.

I used to fight to keep recruiters off the phone when I was at my job.

In 2006, I left my then present job and accepted another job and then resigned the next day because there were some red flags that led me to believe there was no way it would work out long term and I figured each day I stayed I'd be doing more harm than good.

Within a month I had two more offers.

All four jobs were in the IDEAL location which I wanted too.
I'm not sure where you were in 2006 but here, they were laying off people right and left. I was downsized out in 2007 and knew people who had been looking for work for more than a year with no luck. You, obviously, were not anywhere near Michigan.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Last year, we were given 60 days notice. Most of the other employees left before the 60 days were up. Others had jobs lined up, right after 60 days. They wanted the severance pay first. It would have been immediate, but I asked for a week before starting. Most of us were happy, since we getting more than our standard 2-3% raise. Does it count, since we had 60 days notice?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I really miss the "old" days when you could quit or be fired on a Friday and then by Monday you would have a new job. This whole searching all day and playing phone/email tag with HR just gets to be very frustrating.
I just feel like I must be doing something wrong.
You can, if you have IN DEMAND job skills. I'm sure Drs. get fired.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You don't have to be 60 to remember this. In the early 90's, I'd get job offers out of the blue every 3-4 months. That was only 20 years ago. I miss those days too...
So true,
amd for some of us, we are still in the "good old days" cause nothing has changed. We still have our jobs, we still get raises, we still get our bonus, we have promotional opportunities, incentive events still exist, we get letters from headhunters about other positions, we have other comanies wooing us at industry events and we know if we lost out job tonight, we'll have a new one tomorrow morning.

For people like me, except for what other say they experience, I have no good old days cause we never left those good old days. But there are those on the other end who picked a career and skill route that may have suffered a major medical issue in 1980 and was in intensive care in 1990 and croaked in 2000, they may see the good old days as back in 1970 since its been tough every since for their industry. Others, well they may not had taken a hit personally until 2007 or 8 and that makes their good old days back in the early 2000's. So to TVSG, good old days can be from 1940 to 2012 depending so when someone had those and felt it was the good old days, its their good old days and may not mean anything to others.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,872,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I really miss the "old" days when you could quit or be fired on a Friday and then by Monday you would have a new job. This whole searching all day and playing phone/email tag with HR just gets to be very frustrating.
I just feel like I must be doing something wrong.
Old days... good times I remember...

Chicago - Old Days - YouTube

Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You can, if you have IN DEMAND job skills. I'm sure Drs. get fired.
Are you really using a doctor as an example?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,415 times
Employees are walking purchase orders, nothing more. People mean nothing. If I could have chosen to live at another time, I would have cause I certainly don't like society and the me-me-me mentality so pervasive in everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment