Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 29,126 times

Advertisements

Hello I saw your posting about the job search...where do you find your new job...did you use career sites like career builder or monster? Did you use a temp job?

ANY suggestions you have would be great to hear.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM

34,911 posts, read 31,023,226 times
If you're feeling suicidal or like you're going to have imminent, serious medical problems, then quit. No job is worth completely breaking down over.

However, think rationally before you do this as what stress you have today may pale in comparison to not being able to pay your bills. It may take months before you find any job, depending on your local market. Unless you have several months of expenses saved up, I wouldn't do anything unless you have a firm written job offer. The worst thing you can do is resign emotionally and be out of work months from now, wondering whether or not you will eat or lose your vehicle. If your family has the ability to help you monetarily, then you may not need as much to survive.

This is also a move that could haunt you for years to come as you try to explain the gap to employers. True or not, a hiring manager may view a quit followed by a large gap as you having a lack of appropriate coping skills.

I would do a written budget cutting expenses to the bone. Figure out what is the minimum you can make if you quit and still pay for your car, student loan, food, gas, etc, and then base your job search around this income floor.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,685,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is also a move that could haunt you for years to come as you try to explain the gap to employers. True or not, a hiring manager may view a quit followed by a large gap as you having a lack of appropriate coping skills.
Funny enough my HR manager spoke about 'coping skills' the other day. My question is, cope with what? BS?! What I actually DO at work is relatively easy compared to the office politics, juvenile gossip and backstabbing. Why should one 'have' to deal with that?? Why is office politics almost like an accepted part of corporate culture, and one should be able to 'cope' with the nonsense? Life is way too short and precious to be dealing with that kind of crap on a daily basis.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,425,589 times
Tekkie, does your company provide short term or long term disability? If they do you could get your doctor to write HR a letter and state you need to be hospitalized, for stress, but I don't believe your doc would even have to tell them that. I believe it would fall under FMLA leave act. At least then you get a break and still receive some money for benefits you already are paying for. Then if they later retaliate for the leave and fire you somehow you just tell your future employer you were sick and leave it at that. Frankly if you get approved leave and they retaliate you could probably sue, but they could make up some lame reason they let you go.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,429,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
This may not come as consolation to you, but alot of people are in your position; feeling overworked, underpaid, underappreicated, and with no end in sight. Its an employers market, and many know they can treat people as badly and pay them as little as they can get away with, knowing that if you quit there's someone who would be willing to take your place the next day. Its a sickening feeling.

In the short-term, if you don't already I'd suggest taking up hobbies, gymwork, reading, walks in the park, anything that you can look forward to on a daily/weekly basis. You have got to break the monotony somehow, by any means.

In terms of directly dealing with the job, perhaps schedule a meeting with HR to air out your concerns, that you're overwhelmed by the workload and discuss possible alternatives to current procedures that keeps you productive, the results coming and you're not killing yourself to achieve your goals. Keep putting your resume out there, something will come eventually. It won't be when you want, but it will happen. Your immediate concern is to reduce stress, which is why I suggested the hobby/gym thing.

Above all, understand that these situations are temporary and there are millions of people in the boat with you. A harsh reality of life is that while some people work in fields that are suited to their skills and passions, most wind up in jobs that at best you learn to tolerate and at worst, absolutely despise.
You are so right. A lot of folks I know are being worked to death and stressed to their breaking point. Companies know they can do what they want right now. I've just made up my mind to do the best I can and walk away; it's ridiculous to kill myself over it; I'm not doing brain surgery!

I would suggest hanging on if you can - put in a reasonable day - while you look for other work. Take a sick day here or there if you need to.

If you are young and single - with no mortgage or family to worry about . . . . walk away if that's an option. But be aware it might take a while to find something else.

Things are tough out here!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM

801 posts, read 2,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
...the stress is just getting to be ridiculous and unmanageable. On top of it, management is completely oblivious. First off, they manage our office remotely. At times, it is nearly impossible to get a hold of them, thus we feel isolated out here. I am losing my mind. My body has physically deteriorated over the last year. I am getting sick. My blood pressure is shooting up. This is not normal for a typically healthy 20-something. I'm not the person I used to be a year ago. I used to be happy and active, now I'm miserable and depressed and anxious.

Essentially, the workload is unmanageable and unreasonable. The expectation is that we resolve EVERY issue that comes in for the 11 different account managers' accounts that I oversee. I'm completing my work, but I'm losing my mind doing it. It's rush, rush, rush on a thousand different tasks!

I was on the phone with my father this morning and nearly broke down crying. To see what I have diminished to in the last year is extremely sad and frustrating for me. I feel like this company is sucking away my life and I don't know what to do about it. If I quit, I lose my income and disqualify myself from U/E according to my understanding. If I stay, who knows what other aspects of my health start diminishing. I have been applying for jobs, but no such luck yet. I don't think I can hold out until another job comes along.

This is the most lonely, scared, and anxious I have ever been in my life. I don't know what to do. My father says quit and come home. Fine, but I have student loans and a car payment. I could probably sell off the car, but I still have student loan payments. I could probably manage them temporarily on a low paying gig, but I need to get one first.

What do you guy suggest?

Quit and go home.

Yes, its traumatic to give up the idea of taking care of yourself financially -- but -- its a turning point for you and you WILL make the best of it. It sounds like you have a supportive dad. Your family and friends, and new friends you make, will get you through.

If you and your dad work out a way for you to keep the car, it'll happen. Or you'll drive SOMETHING. I've been through that, and no its not fun to give up something you love you worked for, but really your health and well-being is the most important thing you have.

There's a lot you can read that will give you some perspective on your situation. There's a website called the Workplace Bullying Institute. Books about workplace bullies exist, too. You'll learn how to recognize and avoid similar situations in the future.

What to do once you get home and are free of your old job?

(1) Rest and recuperate. Vitamins, healthy eating, sunshine, sports, time with family and friends.

(2) Learn the job market. I always recommend a website called "The Five O'Clock Club." Also look for a newer book by Peter Weddle called "Work Strong: Your Personal Career Fitness System."

(3) Look to sectors where you want to work and can be better nurtured. These do exist.

In most communities, you can find retail jobs especially now that it's the holidays. Kohl's, Meijer, and Target can be good places to work part-time. Low pay but for the most part, nice people to work with.

Substitute teach in your local community if you just need a job. The pay varies from $60 to $120 a day depending on where you are. If you're willing to drive 30 minutes away you'll probably find at least one district that needs you. Call around.

Long-term, think about working in higher education. You seem to have an administrative support job, and those do exist in Higher Ed. If nothing else, you'll have a wider community of support and colleagues to reach out to. I think Education is one of the better sectors to work for, its a little more humane at least.

(4) I saw you're doing acupuncture. Keep it up if you can, I think its one of the best ways to restore your health.

(5) Volunteer! It's a great way to restore your hope in humanity. You'll meet great people.

God bless and good luck.

Enjoy your 20's.

I know you don't want to enjoy them from your dad's house, but it'll be better for you there. The health foundation you build in your 20's is what will get you through your 30's and 40's and 50's in a healthy manner. You can always take some weekend trips for when you need to get away and enjoy time away from your family.

Last edited by summer22; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM

801 posts, read 2,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Funny enough my HR manager spoke about 'coping skills' the other day. My question is, cope with what? BS?! What I actually DO at work is relatively easy compared to the office politics, juvenile gossip and backstabbing. Why should one 'have' to deal with that?? Why is office politics almost like an accepted part of corporate culture, and one should be able to 'cope' with the nonsense? Life is way too short and precious to be dealing with that kind of crap on a daily basis.
I agree with you 100%. Everyone deserves a workplace that has no drama.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM

29,691 posts, read 24,748,209 times
Simple. Stand your ground. Be firm and confident when you outline the difficulties you are having on the job. State that you come to work to work, but not to be a slave or taken advantage of. If they want a slave, they can find someone else. Nice thing about that is they will have to get rid of you at that point. You'll at least have a better shot at getting UI.

Quit looking at all the BS that keeps you going to work like student loans and car payments. Welcome to adulthood... Most of us have crappy bills to deal with too. The reason a lot of companies prefer younger workers though is because they are new to this, and companies know they can exploit this. Older workers are more likely to do what I am suggesting you do.

Donno what you're making, but clearly it is not worth the stress. I've turned down higher paying jobs for that reason... Money isn't everything. Heck, the more you make, the more you'll be spending in vices one way or another. Funny thing about wages/salaries... It seems when you make 50% more, you acquire 300% more in workload, then the government steps in and taxes you at a considerably higher bracket

Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,721,571 times
I wanted to amend my advice where I recommended staying till you have a new job. If you feel your mental health will not allow you to stay there, then you need to quit or take a leave (if you have a doctor that could help you with the FMLA, that is an option). Don't let it get to the point where you do something you regret out of frustration (like snapping and telling everyone off and really burning bridges there).

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,061,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Everyone deserves a workplace that has no drama.
Good luck with that one, depending on your involvement in office politics you will always have some drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment