U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,126 posts, read 12,084,343 times

Advertisements

Definition:

Boss that flies in, makes a lot of noise.....

...craps on everything.....then leaves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,661,281 times
Had one of those at my last job. He's a big part of the reason I left. No seagulls where I am now!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:19 PM

14,013 posts, read 14,642,768 times
Glad I've only worked for small businesses... The worst is when a small business tries to behave like one of the big boys by hiring consultants... Yea, move the coffee pot closer to the workers

It's no wonder America can't compete anymore...

Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Move the coffeepot? That's some pretty low hanging fruit, there. Good thing someone got paid thousands to come up with that brilliant gem.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 AM

14,013 posts, read 14,642,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Move the coffeepot? That's some pretty low hanging fruit, there. Good thing someone got paid thousands to come up with that brilliant gem.
And after the company continued to lose money, he continued to collect money. Now that's the businesses to be in... Where poor performance and results have no negative impact on your income. There are those that do, and there are those and "consult"...

And his other (literally) bright idea was to change the color schematics of our process bins to brighter colors... At some point, you have to start blaming the victim.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,083,837 times
The seagull manager comment is funny and true, sad to say.

I tend to think of outside "consultants" as one of your co-worker's buddy-friend who gets an overpaid and useless short-term gig. Consultant suggestions are usually crap anyway. Most companies would get better feedback to improve the office from most of the people who work their day-to-day in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM

I would say these consultants are the ultimate seagulls. Really, how can we think they could come in knowing basically nothing about a particular business and expect that they could make it meaningfully more efficient? They can't, and with the internet now I tend to believe I could find out most of what they are going to tell me in a couple days of research. They come in, stir the pot up, and leave.

In the job I recently left, we worked in a particular niche industry. Things had to be done a certain way, often dictated by law or construction code. We were good at our various roles and making sure our collective butts were covered (including the company's). One manager, who had been there since Hector was a pup, would regularly come in, find some minor problem, and turn it into some kind of Herculean obstacle that would send us all into the deepest pits of eternal hellfire. Of course, then he would go back out on the road or work from home. He never offerred any solutions, he just got everyone all worked up.

One of the other managers contacted me recently, asking what it would take to talk me into coming back. Among the list was firing the seagull. Other things included dancing girls and a well stocked bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment