Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,392,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I would ask the attorney about filing a claim under the WhistleBlower Act. YOu may have a lot better, and quicker response from them.

From OSHA.gov

Allows for discussion of sexual harassment as an occupational health and safety issue and supports exploration of employer liability for harassment
I'll ask him. And he may have included that in all the charges. There were so many that I know I've forgotten at least half of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
It sounds like you have an action. HOWEVER, I'd be curious as to what you posted on your personal facebook page that they contend is a reason you were fired. You seem to admit you posted something you shouldn't have, although you've been pretty vague about what it was.

You worked for a government agency, so depending on in what capacity, maybe you have some 1st amendment protections there, but if it was a post about an individual (which it sounds like it was) maybe you don't.

Even if everything occurred the way you stated, the agency might be able to use what you wrote on fb (which apparently was public to some degree or they wouldn't know about it) as a pretext for your termination.
I posted that he had once again violated policy and once again it put animals lives in danger and once again I was having to work more than 80 hours in that week to clean up the messes he keeps making and that he was a butthole, but I didn't put it so nicely. And I don't regret it or think it was a mistake. I stand by my statement as both fact and exactly how I feel.

There was a girl on my friends list that was a friend of hte shelter (a group I helped create). She was a trouble maker from day one and is one of the ones that's been allowed to post false things about me on the new county run page for the department. It's an animal shelter by the way. Anyway, she saw it and printed it and took it to the county executive or they wouldn't have known about it. That said, off property I was around her for things that were not related to the job and I've been very open about my feelings then as well. It's not like anything was said on FB that wasn't true or that I wouldn't have said in person or to his face. People never have to wonder where they stand with me. I'm very tolerant of a lot of things, but when you do things that he does, I'm pretty blunt and to the point.

New question................

I VERY much want to return to this line of work. This is where my heart is. I do however have a career in law enforcement and accounting though. I won't go back to accounting. I detest it. I did enjoy law enforcement though it was the adrenaline I liked. Our department was one of the largest in Florida. The departments here - my county for example - commonly go 24 hours without a single call.

That said, my son in law works for a state agency here and said they're hiring and asked if I'd be interested. My other son in law goes on the 6th for an interview with them. Should I apply? I mean, it's a different type of LEO work, but still in the same type of field. And it's money. Decent money. And some benefits, which would be nice. And I really need the money. I was going to ask if I should give up on the dreams of going back to the line of work where my heart truly is for this job, but the more I think about it and type, the more I think I've answered my own question. I don't think I really have a choice, do I? Then again, if I do, I'm leaving my husband. I'd have to hire a nurse for him and that thought makes him sick. And given that he's got all these medical issues, do I give up what could be our last years together to make money? Or do I spend that time with him? If I go to work, will I hate myself if I lose him soon? Financially, I know there's no option. I can't think of any other way to make money and not leave him. But at the same time, should I lose that time with him? I'm still torn, even though I know what the responsible decision is. But I guess if I were offered a job with the same pay and benefits in the line of work I want to be in, would I take that and leave hubby? Right now I guess I don't even know how I'd answer that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM

809 posts, read 2,184,720 times
mrs1885,

I was wondering what is the current status of this situation.

I was speaking with an attorney/family member/friend last evening and showed them this thread. They seemed perplexed and most curious.

I told them I would inquire today to see how the situation was progressing.

Regards,

second right

Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,437,588 times
What I have found it that it depends on the type of state you live in. I was discriminated against in the workplace but because I live in pro business at will employment state of Colorado I was told by some that experienced very similar discrimination and filed a complaint with EEOC the proper way good luck you can be fired in Colorado with little recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment