Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:22 PM

93 posts, read 65,511 times

Advertisements

I worked at both while I was going to Graduate School and Target was far and away the better all around experience when it came to dealing with management, coworkers and the customers.

Target actually let me do quite a number of things, from stocking, zoning, cashiering and working at the instore Starbucks. This gave me a more well rounded skillset that would have helped if I wanted to pursue a career in Retail Management.

I really have nothing nice to say about my experience at Walmart and have not set foot in one since I stopped working there in 2004. I actually saw a manager adjust my time sheet to reflect that I worked 40 hours in a week instead of 47 so that they could avoid paying me overtime. A lot of my coworkers were also short tempered due to the horrible working conditions and the customers treat you like garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 02:41 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,138 times
I noticed there's more "ghetto" types that shop at Walfart. Target gets a better class of shoppers.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Unless things have changed in seven years when I needed an overnight job in addition to my day job (long story), if you want to be treated as a low-life, work for mostly low-lifes, and serve mostly low-lifes, then you should definitely choose Wal-Mart.

At least Target has a much nicer and more affluent customer base.

(Or at least all the above is how it is in my area.)

Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
[quote=whocares811;41795960]Unless things have changed in seven years when I needed an overnight job in addition to my day job (long story), if you want to be treated as a low-life, work for mostly low-lifes, and serve mostly low-lifes, then you should definitely choose Wal-Mart.

At least Target has a much nicer and more affluent customer base.

(Or at least all the above is how it is in my area.)[/quote]

I was just thinking that it probably depends on the store/location. The Walmart where I work is the only one in a 50 mile radius so we get them ALL. Yes, there are the ones you might consider 'lowlifes' but the majority are just plain ol' average people. I must work for an extraordinary store because the majority of people I work with are just great and those that aren't, it's easy to avoid. I find that most of my customers are really good people, polite, helpful and nice to me. We don't have a Target here but I have shopped in them when I lived in other towns. They were just fine too.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I worked at Walmart during the Christmas season back in 2009. The pay was OK ($8-$9/hr) and I enjoyed being up and active throughout the shift. I was a sales associate in electronics and most people were reasonable.

I applied to Target a couple years before that and got jerked around big time. I'd work for Walmart over Target if I was out on the store floor.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Well, can't speak against Target. Walmart took me on at $10.25 Deli. 2 weeks into the job, went to $10.75 an hour. Then they asked me to work 2 depts. So I move between them on a weekly basis. Easy? Some days are, some are a pain chucking freight. Sometimes I have been in meat and get called to help unload a truck. Luckily for me, it's on pallets.

You show the slightest interest in moving up, they'll encourage you. Staffing is always a problem. Not everyone hired is willing or able to chuck freight,or wants to get down and nasty when cleaning. Hours can be a fright or a blessing. I'm a night type of guy, so I get the swing shift 2-11, 1-10 and now reduction of hours (Which I am not against) 5-11 even.

Last job I had, couldn't get more than 26, plus it was no benefits and $11 an hour. Now it's more hours, only slightly less hourly pay and still have medical benefits (Medicare) till I have to report earnings.

Management is very approachable and I have had the manager come by on occasions and ask if she could do anything for us (By this she meant "If you have problems let me know") we have had one fired for causing a lot of problems.

Face it, in most cases, people can be a"Higher class" type, but they can still be too lazy to walk 50 feet to put back that pizza or bag of chips and since it's not "Their Money" they don't give a crap if the store has to "Eat it"

God knows how many times I have tossed good food only because some jerk decided they actually couldn't afford that $7.48 a lb oven roasted turkey. That's when at times I want a register at the Deli instead of trusting some of these people to pay for the food.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, can't speak against Target. Walmart took me on at $10.25 Deli. 2 weeks into the job, went to $10.75 an hour. Then they asked me to work 2 depts. So I move between them on a weekly basis. Easy? Some days are, some are a pain chucking freight. Sometimes I have been in meat and get called to help unload a truck. Luckily for me, it's on pallets.

You show the slightest interest in moving up, they'll encourage you. Staffing is always a problem. Not everyone hired is willing or able to chuck freight,or wants to get down and nasty when cleaning. Hours can be a fright or a blessing. I'm a night type of guy, so I get the swing shift 2-11, 1-10 and now reduction of hours (Which I am not against) 5-11 even.

Last job I had, couldn't get more than 26, plus it was no benefits and $11 an hour. Now it's more hours, only slightly less hourly pay and still have medical benefits (Medicare) till I have to report earnings.

Management is very approachable and I have had the manager come by on occasions and ask if she could do anything for us (By this she meant "If you have problems let me know") we have had one fired for causing a lot of problems.

Face it, in most cases, people can be a"Higher class" type, but they can still be too lazy to walk 50 feet to put back that pizza or bag of chips and since it's not "Their Money" they don't give a crap if the store has to "Eat it"

God knows how many times I have tossed good food only because some jerk decided they actually couldn't afford that $7.48 a lb oven roasted turkey. That's when at times I want a register at the Deli instead of trusting some of these people to pay for the food.
I agree with all you've said here. I work for Walmart and like it, a lot. I see people being promoted all the time because they show initiative and actually WANT to work. I could have been in management a long time ago but I have no interest in it. I'm 'old, tired and lazy' and BTDT in my lifetime so, no thanks. I like the job I do just fine.

Your last two paragraphs are the things that 'frost' me. People are either lazy or they can't be bothered giving things they don't want to an employee who can take care of it. I pick things up all day long that someone has just dropped off in a convenient (for them) place. I once found a nice roast in a child's car seat! I think people believe all those things are put back when found but they aren't. They are shocked when I tell them that frozen, dairy and meat items are tossed even when just left at the register. When I see the bins full of left items behind customer service it boggles my mind.

Also, I agree that the deli needs it's own register. I lose count of the containers I find around the store, empty and probably not paid for. I asked about it once and was told that the health dept. wouldn't approve. If that's the case then any fast food place shouldn't have one.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM

137 posts, read 100,893 times
Walmart is more financially stable. Target is closing stores all over. Target makes you pay for your own uniform. Walmart is open 24 hours is many locations, more opportunities for flexible hours. Your employee discount goes further at Walmart because the items are less expensive.

Before we get into the snobbery answers that someone is undoubtedly going to give about the types of "clientele" that shop at Walmart vs Target - don't bother. The same type of people shop at both, though you're more likely to find hipsters at Target. We are upper middle class, both have college degrees, professional careers, live in the 'burbs and we shop at Walmart. Rich people are rich because they don't waste money on things just to pretend they are something they're not. If I need toilet paper or athletic socks or a box of cereal, I buy it from the store that sells them for the lowest price, not because it's trendy. Who cares if you have to deal with more of the poors if you work at Walmart. Take it as an opportunity to serve all types of people who are all human, no matter their education level or the size of their bank account.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:38 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
When I was there for 6 months I saw big time backstabbing and scared managers. People were stressed. For short term I would go Wal-Mart only because I worked there but there has to be other options.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSmithJones View Post
Rich people are rich because they don't waste money on things just to pretend they are something they're not. If I need toilet paper or athletic socks or a box of cereal, I buy it from the store that sells them for the lowest price, not because it's trendy. Who cares if you have to deal with more of the poors if you work at Walmart. Take it as an opportunity to serve all types of people who are all human, no matter their education level or the size of their bank account.
No, rich people are rich because they make alot of money (usually at least six figures per person ) and don't do things that have life long consequences that follow you for life(ex. getting convicted of a crime, bad credit, evictions).. I have noticed that lower middle class & poor people seem to act on impulse, cannot plan ahead and deal & regularly use street drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment