Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

It's bizarre to see those who say it's nothing special, when the median income in this country is around 25K. If you can't do fine on 50K, it's your own fault. Too much debt, too much unnecessary spending, and too high of expectations regarding your own required standard of live. On top of that, investments are a great way to add an edge on your own personal income. A job is not the only way to earn income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's bizarre to see those who say it's nothing special, when the median income in this country is around 25K. If you can't do fine on 50K, it's your own fault. Too much debt, too much unnecessary spending, and too high of expectations regarding your own required standard of live. On top of that, investments are a great way to add an edge on your own personal income. A job is not the only way to earn income.
1. Majority of the country doesn't live in NYC or San Francisco.

2. Keep in mind that $25,000 is just the annual wage per individual. 42% of households consists of two income earners (thus the median household income is $50K),

3. It's very hard to invest money when earning only $25K per year, especially now given how unstable stocks and precious commodities are along with the record low interest rates. After paying your bills, you first need to save enough money that you can afford to lose ($10K is a fair minimum IMO). On $13/hr and with kids, it will take you several years to accumulate that type of money with an average interest rate of .10%.

4. Life is never as simple as "you shouldn't have taken on so much debt, spent so much money and had so many kids." In many cases, things happen beyond your control. That's not their fault.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Where is this job? I'll take it!!!!
Hopefully there is a second position available as well...where do we send our resumes?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It will be hard to live on his own and invest, if he was making the median income. To max out his IRA, it would leave him with $20k/yr before taxes. When I was making $25k, I was limited to the 401k. I couldn't even add the $5k equivalent back then. If my car needed a new set of tires, skip breakfast and lunch for a 2 weeks to save up. If I was sick and had to spend $100 on medicine, it was added to the credit card. Eventually, the old beaters would cost so much to repair, it wasn't worth starving for. Time to starve more for another old beater. No retirement to speak off, struggling with bills, skipping meals, poor health. yeah life is a ball. At that rate, I would end up as one of those old men living off SS, Medicare, and other government handouts, with the constant threat of freezing in the winter with no money for the heating bill.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Unless you live in a very expensive part of the country I'd imagine that $50K is damn good money. Most jobs around here maybe pay a third of what you're looking at, seriously. On $50K I could live like royalty!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM

37 posts, read 80,854 times
Yes.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, it's good. That much would be good for a single person ANYWHERE.

You could live off that easily AROUND NYC and SF.

I've lived in the surrounding areas of NYC and SF with that much and it's easy.
^^ agreed.

Keep your rent in the $500 to $1000 range and you will be fine. (You can find very good $500 apartments in smaller midwestern cities. In larger areas like Chicago/NYC, live on the outskirts and pay less than $1000.)

Even better, if your credit is good, buy a duplex so your renter can pay a part of your mortgage.

Drive a Camry or a sensible SUV.

Put something into savings.

Budget yourself for the year, first your required expenses, then your discretionary. I think you could probably afford one cross-country or international trip, and many regional weekend trips.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Where I live (Houston), $50,000 for a single person is excellent. You get a nice apartment or small house in a decent area and you have a good chunk left over each month to invest.

In NYC, you couldn't afford ANYTHING in Manhattan and in the other boroughs you would be slumming it.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I guess I might be in the minority but $50K/ year would be difficult to live comfortably on any many major metro areas. With taxes taken out and broken down, a $50k salary would yield about $3200/ month more or less. Then start deducting-

Mortgage payment/Apartment Rent
Car payment?
School loans?
Health insurance
Car insurance
Homeowners insurance
HOA fees?
Electric
Cell phone
Cable/Satellite?
Internet
Food
Fuel
Incidentals
Credit Card bills?
Clothing?
Entertainment
Savings
Investments?
401k contributions?

I mean I hate to sound pessimistic, but it costs a LOT to live nowadays! 20 years ago, $50K/ year was a nice salary and you could live a solid, middle-class lifestyle on it. This day and age...I'm really not so certain. If you plan on living a middle-class lifestyle while saving and investments some income for retirement; I would say $50K would be a very difficult salary to accomplish this. And I'm talking this person being single. If you have a family to support, you better have a six figure salary if you plan on having a decent lifestyle. I know families that spend $20K/ year on private school education for their grade-school children! Can't do that on a $50K/ year salary.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Reality. Anyone in Montana would take that salary in a heartbeat. Many with a Masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment