Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM

22 posts, read 67,096 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and have been working in IT for a little over 5 years and have become really disillusioned with it. I kind of fell into it and we're in the middle of a huge outsourcing transformation that may put me out of a job. Besides hating the idea of outsourcing, I'm generally dissatisfied with this field in general as it doesn't take advantage of my social/people skills.

I finished an A.S. degree at the local community college about 7 years ago and had started the nursing program there before foolishly deciding to study music (didn't last long). Never got back to the nursing, but seems even more appealing now for many of the reasons IT is unappealing. My understanding is that job opportunities are plentiful, training programs are good for people making a career change, and starting pay is generally good by comparison. I make good money in IT, but what good is it if you really hate what you do?

Thoughts?

*Btw, I am a male...I know there's still some stigma with male nurses, but it doesn't bother me in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Go for it! Nursing is an awesome career with many opportunities.

I started with an AS degree, then went on for my bachelors.

I've been in the field for 30+ years. I spent my first 10 years in acute care (ER, ICU, PACU, ASC, general floors, house supervisor, discharge planning), and since have worked on the business side of nursing, in case management, utilization concurrent review, work comp, blood bank, audit and compliance, pre-auth, post review, facility/provider compliance & education, managed care....

There are lots of different paths to pursue, and you will almost always be able to find a job.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
There are regional shortages, as well as regional overages, so don't expect anyone to fall over themselves to offer you a job. I don't know what it is like where you are at, but around here the hospitals will not hire new nurses unless they have their bachelor's degree in nursing--the AS doesn't cut it anymore, so look into that.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogwest View Post
Never got back to the nursing, but seems even more appealing now for many of the reasons IT is unappealing. My understanding is that job opportunities are plentiful, training programs are good for people making a career change, and starting pay is generally good by comparison.
Be careful with this.

I think many would tell you that nursing although well paying and stable and mobile is a very physically demanding job.

Also, all of your professional peers will be women. Consider if you can handle that environment.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
My best friend has been a nurse for over 16 years. She describes her place as full of drama queens, gossip, and other negative female behaviors. She has a thick skin and knows how to kiss *** and be a rug to the queen bees and bullies.

The only reason she's there is for the money and stability as she has 2 kids. Otherwise she hates it, in fact she works part time and has no plans to make it full time ever again.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There are regional shortages, as well as regional overages, so don't expect anyone to fall over themselves to offer you a job. I don't know what it is like where you are at, but around here the hospitals will not hire new nurses unless they have their bachelor's degree in nursing--the AS doesn't cut it anymore, so look into that.
I have heard some of that sentiment in some of the online research I've done. I'm just starting to think about this, so I need to talk to some contacts and also look into what it would require educationally. If there was a way to do a BSN online, I would (I have about 80-90 credits towards a bachelors in IT complete) - but my understanding is that the only online BSN programs are RN-BSN programs. So I don't see how I could avoid getting the RN (ADN) first, then trying to find a job and getting the RN-BSN.

I have a contact here at work who was an ER tech at the local hospital and he seems to think the prospects for those coming out with the 2-year RN are good.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Be careful with this.

I think many would tell you that nursing although well paying and stable and mobile is a very physically demanding job.

Also, all of your professional peers will be women. Consider if you can handle that environment.
I've heard its even more physically demanding for men, who often get called in for the 'heavy lifting' Well, in that way its the opposite of IT work, which has effectively made me a lazy tub-o-lard. At this point I think I would welcome a physical challenge.

I generally work well with women, and I think being a male in a mostly female environment would have a mixture of pro's and con's. Women are often catty with each other, but act differently when a guy is around (in that way, I might even help the work environment for other women). Also, I might be able to build strong relationships with the few guys that are around. The biggest downside I would prepare for is abuse from female supervisors who may like the idea of having a man report to them. But I actually already deal with that a bit in my current profession.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Nursing is in need of more male nurses. And, it's a fairly stable industry- definitely growing. I am in school for nursing and work at a hospital right now. The hospital I work at is always hiring !

Good nurses are challenging to find. Anyone can be a nurse, but the ones that passionately believe, the patient is at the heart of everything you do are the ones that truly make the difference.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogwest View Post

I generally work well with women, and I think being a male in a mostly female environment would have a mixture of pro's and con's. Women are often catty with each other, but act differently when a guy is around (in that way, I might even help the work environment for other women). Also, I might be able to build strong relationships with the few guys that are around. The biggest downside I would prepare for is abuse from female supervisors who may like the idea of having a man report to them. But I actually already deal with that a bit in my current profession.
I have generally worked well with women too ... when they are good women.

What tends to happen in female dominated environments (and I have been in two) is that the Queen Bees will tend to turn the rest of the decent female employees against you and will make your life at work miserable. I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me either. After all, most of my best friends are women.

When one of the two Queen Bees left that office and the boss hired two new men to start working it COMPLETELY CHANGED the culture of the office. Work was actually bearable.

I'd add that none of those women were my supers, and in fact were technically (though not in practice) under me.

I will never, ever take a job again where I see the office is comprised of almost all females. But to each his own. Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
The prospects are O.K as far as jobs go. There are going to be more home health positions and outpatient than in-patient in the future. The shortages are regional. There is no shortage in places like NYC or the Bay area of California because those are the best paying areas in the country. Shortage areas are places like way upstate NY and the pay is lower but so is the COL.

I've done bedside nursing in telemetry...step down and general med/surg. Outpatient medical clinic and psych. Also have done nursing home and skilled rehab. The best is the outpatient the worst is the hospital for various reasons. Too much pressure and the non-licensed support people make the job worse. Figure out really quick if you like working with people and can tolerate verbal or even physical abuse. Never mind the ick factor those are your biggest issues. People have a customer service mentality that extends into hospital because of stupid administrators who worry about customer satisfacion over safety and reality of the staffing.

Pt gets admitted for chest pain. As their holding their chest they are matter of factly telling you to be a good girl and fetch them an extra pillow...a sandwich and fix the T.V will you? How about the family of a dying or really sick patient that picks the wrong moment to visit? You could have had that patient looking pretty and smelling a like rose 30 minutes ago. Guaranteed they will poop and fall out of bed two minutes before the family comes making you look like a lazy uncaring individual. Your excuses will mean nothing to them and your supervisors. Do you love being subordinate to rude people? Lol well MD can be some of the rudest people you know...so there is that too. In general do you like being micro-managed and made to feel like somebodies whipping boy and b*tch everyday? Go be a hospital nurse. Even if your heart bleeds for everyone at first (they are acting up cuz they're so sick :-( after a while you lose your patience and turn into nurse Ratchet or you get out of it. Nurses are mean to each other because they feel powerless not because they are women. This occurs mostly in the pressure cooker hospital enviorment and the male nurses are just as b*tchy. It's the sh*t roles downhill philosphy.

No job/career is perfect. Being an Rn is good at times...it does pay the bills and I'm never bored. Just make sure you go into it with eyes open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment