Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times

Advertisements

It looks like Geico could work out for you if you want to work there. You can always move closer to their offices. If you want to go with the company where you temped, then apply. Go with what you think is best for you.

Grad school doesn't always work out and people realize that. Don't let that stop you from applying to that company if that is where you would prefer to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Take the job, and don't worry about anything else. I agree don't go to grad school if it won't further your career at this point. IMO it's just another bill for you to pay later!

And if you go work there, then leave a year later for a better job, do NOT feel guilty! IMO loyalty to a company is over-rated. My husband just got a great new job, and starts Monday, the company he is a TEMP at is trying to convince him to stay, telling him he's "burning bridges" though that's totally not true, he gave notice, and he said it's merely a professional move and nothing personal. The FUNNY thing is a month ago they "let him go" but then 2 weeks later asked him to come back because they still needed him. So to me, it's like if they will let you go that easy why should he stick around?

Do what you have to do to take care of yourself, even if you take the job and use the time to sort out your ideas/thoughts/emotions, then do it Maybe a few months of just working and not worrying about anything else is what you need.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Swallow your pride. It's normal to feel that way. This is an unusual situation. If you didn't feel awkward I would wonder about you.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
Thank you for the replies guys.

Another worry that concerns me is taking the job would mean I wouldn't be able to leave it this time. Especially, since I'm not working as a temp. And I'm pretty heart set on eventually becoming an underwriter. I fear having to put time at this place simply because of convenience. My family thinks I'm crazy, but I don't want to simply up and leave, honestly I'd feel it's unprofessional after they took a real chance on me(full-time non-temp position).
Novel Idea. Make a decision for your life. Take responsibility for your life, your direction, and follow thru. Otherwise, a year from now, all will be, "those guys on the internet didn't know what they were talking about: "

and as the commercial goes, "BON JOUR"

Old 10-24-2012, 03:04 PM

46 posts, read 224,403 times
Hey, you tried and it didn't work out. Who's to say you can't attend a graduate program in Georgia? Maybe you can be a TA and defray a lot of the costs of grad school. Depending on the industry, the job market in Atlanta is competitive and tight. Go back if you have a good relationship with them.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I would just say graduate school didn't end up working out for you and you've put that on hold for now. There is no shame in that.
Great response. Plus the alternative is working for GEICO. Been in insurance for years - could tell you some stories of friends who worked there. Of course your results may vary!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM

108 posts, read 285,880 times
Thank you for allowing me to think out loud guys.

I have the final GEICO interview tomorrow, and I'm leaning on taking that position (not just because of the whole shame situation), but because it would provide a path to my real career--underwriting. The mid-size business doesn't really have anything to do with insurance, more so lower-level supply chain and I only got into supply chain because my family has been working in the supply chain business. A relative of mine is an industrial engineer (smart and capable!) loves the business, I just fell into it when I couldn't find work after college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
Great response. Plus the alternative is working for GEICO. Been in insurance for years - could tell you some stories of friends who worked there. Of course your results may vary!

Can you tell me some of your experiences Reggie? And without being too specific(don't want to out you at all), what role did you play in the industry? Any advice for an aspiring underwriter? Honestly, I wholly expect to "grind" for at least three years while I gain more inside knowledge of the insurance business. Unfortunately, I'm accustomed to the "hustle" entry-level minutia.

Oh, and beera! You're right. Companies kick you out once they've found a way to do what you do much more cheaply, however these are really good people (most of them.) I just don' t have the heart to leave on a whim. I admit it; I'm a softie.

By the way, I had a chuckle at both Colorado xxx and sinativ's comments.

Last edited by BraveNative; 10-24-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
So, lately I've been focusing on transitioning to a new career, and during this process I worked (through a temp agency) at a mid-size company in GA. I did so for a year before I moved northeast temporarily. The company itself wasn't bad, but I mentioned that I was applying to go to grad school and unfortunately, during my time in the NE that didn't happen. Now, I moved back to Georgia again, and there are openings with the company for authentic full-time positions.

My friends and family say I should just go ahead and apply, but they threw a going away party for me and everything while I was a temp and wished me well on my pursuit of grad school. Honestly, I'd feel like an *expletive*hole for applying there after all that's happened.

What do you guys think? Should I apply anyway? Is it just my pride?

On the other hand, I've gotten to the second round of interviews with GEICO for a claims position(with a track for my desire to pursue underwriting), but it's quite far from where I live. The mid-size business is actually in Atlanta and would be more convenient, but I'd feel like such a jackass.
Tell them the truth and apply for the job

Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Thank you for allowing me to think out loud guys.

I have the final GEICO interview tomorrow, and I'm leaning on taking that position (not just because of the whole shame situation), but because it would provide a path to my real career--underwriting. The mid-size business doesn't really have anything to do with insurance, more so lower-level supply chain and I only got into supply chain because my family has been working in the supply chain business. A relative of mine is an industrial engineer (smart and capable!) loves the business, I just fell into it when I couldn't find work after college.

Can you tell me some of your experiences Reggie? And without being too specific(don't want to out you at all), what role did you play in the industry? Any advice for an aspiring underwriter? Honestly, I wholly expect to "grind" for at least three years while I gain more inside knowledge of the insurance business. Unfortunately, I'm accustomed to the "hustle" entry-level minutia.

Oh, and beera! You're right. Companies kick you out once they've found a way to do what you do much more cheaply, however these are really good people (most of them.) I just don' t have the heart to leave on a whim. I admit it; I'm a softie.

By the way, I had a chuckle at both Colorado xxx and sinativ's comments.
Of course! I made it through the interview process at GEICO. Didn't take the job because they couldn't specify where the path would lead. I was looking to concentrate more on claims, loss control and risk management, and they wanted a warm body to process auto claims. Friends that worked there felt log cogs in the machine, a number -and not much more. Of course, not everyones experience and expectations are the same. If you are looking for a training opportunity leading to a career in underwriting, you could do a lot worse. Just try to make sure that they the opportunity they are providing is a means to that end.

GEICO was (and is) a big employer. They have improved since the dark days of the mid 90's when most of my counterparts worked there. I fell into insurance when I was in college, working at an insurance agency, then for several carriers in different claims and loss control positions. I have been with my current employer (a very well known and large institution) for over 4 years now and have never been happier.

Best of luck in your interview - let me know if you need more info - more than happy to offer any advise.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
I trust the judgement of the community of city-data. What do you guys think?
Things change constantly so apply for the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment