Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

Ok so you some of you know that I worked for Outback and I had a situation with my propreitor and a lady in a wheelchair (there's a thread on it). So I ended up giving my two weeks notice and the propreitor made my life hell there. I went from having 6 days a weeks to two and on top of that, he tried to send me home both of those four days claiming there was "too many people on the floor". He had NEVER done that to me before. I refused and worked out my last four days he put me on schedule. He also made snide comments about me leaving. I just ignored them. Now I gave my two weeks notice on a Friday and had talked with the GM about whether or not I could pick up shifts because the propreitor only put me on schedule for 4 days for those two weeks. He said yes. So on my last scheduled day, a Tuesday, I told the GM I wanted to pick up shifts on wed, thurs, fri and he was like sure. However the owner took me off hot schedules so I couldn't see if any shifts were available for me to pick up. He did it just to be a dyck. Fine whatever.

Ok so I move back to Miami and go to the Outback right down the street from me. I spoke with that propreitor and he said (exact words) "Yes, I'll hire you. I just need to verify you gave your last two weeks and you are rehireable. After that, we'll do paperwork and you'll be good to go". I said Not a problem call and speak with C. I didn't give the propreitors name because I had a feeling he wouldn't give me a good reference with how he treated me during my last two weeks. So I follow up with Miami guy and he says this (exact words) "I spoke with your old store. They told me what days of the week you worked and that you were there a short period of time. I no longer have space for you." I was like W T F!!! I immediately called my GM (C) and asked if he spoke to the Miami guy. He said no so I KNEW he spoke to the propreitor who obviously didn't say favorable things. The GM said "but I don't understand because you gave your two weeks and you are rehireable". I said "EXACTLY so why did I lose this job??" So I lost that job opportunity which I should have had.

Now I'd like to go to another Outback that is currently hiring but I'm afraid of what this guy is going to say. So I called up my former boss and as soon as he heard my name he became hostile with me. I asked him if he spoke to Miami guy regarding a position for me and he said I don't know. I said well Miami guy called and he said he spoke with someone and I know it wasn't C. He then asked me why was I asking about him. I said "because I had a job offer and after him calling this store, it was retracted and I'd like to know what was said" He said "Why don't you ask him?" I said "I thought you don't remember speaking to him?" He said "Im busy, I have a truck to unload". I said "S, I had a solid job offer and all he was doing was calling you to verify if I gave my two weeks and if I was rehireable. However, he came back at me with completely different things. So did you put me as non rehireable?" He said "He doesn't have access to my files". I was like "S, I need a job. You are making things extremely difficult financially for me. If I go to another Outback to apply, I need to know I'm not going to maliciously get slammed in a reference for no reason". He said "Just put us down and see what happens". So obviously he's not going to give me a positive reference.

Now I have all of my check out slips which shows my sales and my tip percentage for credit cards. Not cash because I never claim my cash tips. You can see on these slips that my tip percentage is always 20% or above proving I am a good server. You don't get 20% or more tips if you suck. Also you didn't get 6 days a weeks with 3-4 days closing (given to the better servers) if you were a bad employee. So trust me, it's not coming from my end. I have no idea of why this guy is behaving like this. It's like he's still mad I left. He was pissed when I gave my two weeks notice because he knew he was losing a good server. But, I needed to move back to Miami due to my moms failing health and the fact that I didn't appreciate the things he said to me during the whole wheelchair incident.

Now if he did put me as non rehireable, then that means I cannot work for any of the OSI companies like Flemings (which I have worked for in the past), Bonefish, and ANY OTHER OUTBACK again. I'm basically blacklisted. So I'm filing a formal complaint against him with OSI. Does anyone else have any suggestions for any recourse that I may have for this?? I truly appreciate it because this is very wrong and I do not deserve this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
why do you want so badly to work at Outback?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Get a letter of reference from the GM, have it mailed to you, signature, dated. Then you can dispute anything the other guy says.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Outback sucks. The food is decent but the service always sucks and it is expensive. You should work at a Red Lobster or Olive Garden instead.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Go work somewhere else besides Outback. What's the fixation with Outback as a job?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I briefly recall your other post about the wheelchair. When you're a server you do what the manager says. You don't get to pick your tables, your customers, or refuse to leave when business slows.

BTW, how exactly do you refuse to leave if your manager tells you to leave? I'd have been fired on the spot had I done that when I was a server. When I worked in retail or the food industry I was never guaranteed hours, even if I was assigned a shift. It was always based on business need. That's why I left those businesses.

Exactly what are you going to formally complain about? What do you hope to achieve? I don't see how you are going to complain yourself into a job.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I agree with those who question your focus on working at an Outback restaurant and filing a complaint about a bad reference (as well as the issue with the wheelchair). All this sounds like more of a powerplay issue than a job issue.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Put the GM down as your point of contact. Send a letter to corporate and tell them that you gave two weeks notice and that what's his face is giving false negative reviews about you. If you want to go further, pay an atty a nominal fee to send him (and corporate?) a letter telling him to cease and desist his slander or you will have to consider legal action. Even if you don't return to an Outback, you can't have this guy screwing up your employment opportunities.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Go work somewhere else besides Outback. What's the fixation with Outback as a job?

These chains allow employees to transfer locations, so it is an easy way to quickly get a job and income after moving to a new location.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
The reason why I want to work for Outback is because I've already invested almost a year of my serving career for OSI between Flemings and Outback. Why would I want to go start at a whole new concept when I can just work at another Outback??

I've left two messages for OSI with their employee relations. BTW it doesn't matter what the GM verifies for me. If I'm listed as non rehireable then I'm screwed. I need to file a complaint against the properitor and find out what my status is with OSI. I will speak with an attorney if needed. Trust me, I'm not letting this slide. This guy is F-ing with my money, my finanical being.

And again, if he is slandering me in references, I cannot use OB as a reference, don't you understand?? That means I have almost 7 months of unemployment gap when I do not and that's complete BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment