Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Well you know how they say if you are out of the job market for more than 6 months, you pretty much are not going to t get hired ever..kind of like the herpes of job hunting(no one wants to touch you after that)? well i've been out since graduation (almost 2 years).. i'm pretty much f*ked aren't i? i heard on the news that the class of 2012 are going to have an easier time than my class..since they have just graduated they are going to get the jobs, and my class who has been looking for 2 years won't..

kinda of don't know what to do now beside maybe jump off a cliff..i have thought about going back to school to delay time and then drop out as soon as i get an offer, but i escaped debt the first time i'm scared to risk again and still end up unemployed (however if someone said you can go for this low price i'd totally go!)..

i have considered lowering my standards but still can't get hired..tried networking...tried the internship route , i did 3 in my field still no luck..maybe i should learn a trade? idk..maybe i should become a nun..or start dressing up nice and start looking for a rich husband? or wh*ring...

and i have a degree in business is anyone wants to know..

anyone have any suggestion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Not sure if this will be much comfort, but one thing to remember about statistics is that they apply to a group, not to an individual.

So even if there was a statistic that said 70% of people who've been unemployed for 6 months or longer can't get hired, it says nothing about your own individual chances for getting hired.

The truth is, no one can predict any one person's chances of getting a job. There are too many variables.

So, my point is to use that fact to help maintain if not a positive but at least a non-negative attitude while you are still looking.

I recall a friend of mine who had lots of experience and lost her job back in 2003-2004, long before the recession hit. She applied for jobs for over a year, mostly on-line, and didn't get anything, not even an interview. It wasn't until she got in touch with an old contact that knew of a position that was opening up at their company that she ended up with a job.

I think the biggest issue when facing unemployment is the challenge to not slip into despair and depression. You have to fight that issue head on every single day. The truth is, your situation can change at any moment. You just have to keep trying.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Well you know how they say if you are out of the job market for more than 6 months, you pretty much are not going to t get hired ever..kind of like the herpes of job hunting(no one wants to touch you after that)? well i've been out since graduation (almost 2 years).. i'm pretty much f*ked aren't i? i heard on the news that the class of 2012 are going to have an easier time than my class..since they have just graduated they are going to get the jobs, and my class who has been looking for 2 years won't..

kinda of don't know what to do now beside maybe jump off a cliff..i have thought about going back to school to delay time and then drop out as soon as i get an offer, but i escaped debt the first time i'm scared to risk again and still end up unemployed (however if someone said you can go for this low price i'd totally go!)..

i have considered lowering my standards but still can't get hired..tried networking...tried the internship route , i did 3 in my field still no luck..maybe i should learn a trade? idk..maybe i should become a nun..or start dressing up nice and start looking for a rich husband? or wh*ring...

Get another degree so you can be one of the new grads looking for a job. Seriously. Is there something related to what you have that you can get in a year? A certificate? Anything? You need to be one of the new grads next year or you could be still looking.

It really stinks that they go for new grads like they do but you're right, it's like you have herpes or something. They ASSume there MUST be something wrong with YOU that you haven't found work. It couldn't be anything like the economy, could it?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM

72 posts, read 224,786 times
Quote:

If you've been unable to find a job for 2 years after graduating, obviously you did some things wrong while you were in school. You say you have a business degree, from what school? What was your GPA? How did you do in those internships? Obviously not well if nothing came of them. If you graduate from a no-name school with a mediocre GPA and no connections, it's not surprising that you'd still be unemployed. You're correct in that the fact that you've been unemployed for so long makes you somewhat of a leper to employers. There is simply no good reason that you could give for why you've been jobless so long, you should've at least taken some minimum-wage job to show that you won't just sit around and do nothing. The only thing that would really help you at this point is going back to school.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Wink hmmm...

Quote:

sounds like you should have considered 'lowering your standards' about 1.5 years ago. 'Considering' lowering your standards and actually doing it are two different things.
Koale

Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:

My suggestion is simply try something different. What have you done besides send out resumes? Have you tried retail? There are many opportunities in retail management for those willing to start low and work their way up. Perhaps apply for different kinds of jobs. Without more information about what you have tried, it's hard to say what you should do differently. Certainly a degree in business is pretty generic and not very helpful in this job market.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
If you've been unable to find a job for 2 years after graduating, obviously you did some things wrong while you were in school. You say you have a business degree, from what school? What was your GPA? How did you do in those internships? Obviously not well if nothing came of them. If you graduate from a no-name school with a mediocre GPA and no connections, it's not surprising that you'd still be unemployed. You're correct in that the fact that you've been unemployed for so long makes you somewhat of a leper to employers. There is simply no good reason that you could give for why you've been jobless so long, you should've at least taken some minimum-wage job to show that you won't just sit around and do nothing. The only thing that would really help you at this point is going back to school.
lol k not even bothering answering you

Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
sounds like you should have considered 'lowering your standards' about 1.5 years ago. 'Considering' lowering your standards and actually doing it are two different things.
Koale
i have lowered them long before 1.5 years happened.. i just used the word considered

Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM

72 posts, read 224,786 times
Quote:
lol k not even bothering answering you

How mature. I can see now why you are still unemployed.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
It is not true. I have known candidates out for over two years who got hired. Volunteer experience sometimes helps as well. I know everyone says move to North Dakota where the economy is healthy and there is lots of hiring. But that's mostly blue collar: Oilfield and Trucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment