Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have never said you need to be a work zombie.

I personally advocate both employers and employees to be professional and ethical. On the employees' side, we need to all drop this entitlement mentality. We don't deserve anything; we earn everything. We work for the company for crying out loud, meaning we have to follow their rules.

Take this for example and let's assume the company has a genuine emergency. Here are a few examples:

1. I can cancel the trip to take care the emergency, and the company covers my expense and makes up to me in a different time. We both are happy.
2. I can tell the company I am going regardless. The company suffered significant loss with me being gone and fires me afterwards.
3. I ask the company to cover for my expenses, they refuse and insist I cancel my trip. I see that is being unethical and I quit on the spot.

Like I said, the choice is yours.
1) Yah, you would be about the only person happy. I don't know a single person who has had their vacation taken from them who has been "happy" about it.

2) If the company, who was given 9 months notice, (and this was pointed out to you above), can't possibly figure out how to fill that void while the person is gone, the problem is with the company, NOT the employee. In that case, the manager should be fired since they can't manage well at all.

3) You shouldn't have to quit when you had a damn vacation request approved and then the company attempts to take it away! That is the fricken POINT! It shouldn't even happen in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
1) Yah, you would be about the only person happy. I don't know a single person who has had their vacation taken from them who has been "happy" about it.

2) If the company, who was given 9 months notice, (and this was pointed out to you above), can't possibly figure out how to fill that void while the person is gone, the problem is with the company, NOT the employee. In that case, the manager should be fired since they can't manage well at all.

3) You shouldn't have to quit when you had a damn vacation request approved and then the company attempts to take it away! That is the fricken POINT! It shouldn't even happen in the first place!
Are you working for anybody? Had I heard these during an interview, I would never hire you on.

1) I wouldn't be happy happy but if the company makes up to me, I don't see anything wrong with that.

2) Stuff happens. It's rare but sometimes you are the only one who can address an issue. By canceling your trip and paying your cost, it is still significantly cheaper. Why not?

3. I should quit because the company is doing something unethical and I don't agree with. Canceling an approved vacation without compensation is unethical.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Terrible manager.

A game player.

Time to move on.

Ifya really like the company, research ways to get in another department.

Not quite the same thing, but one time I had a camping/fishing trip planned for the Labor Day weekend.

Here it is.....Friday....and my pickup is loaded with camping gear and a canoe.

Painfully obvious as it was parked next to the boss' vehicle.

He approaches me in the afternoon and states that he has me on the schedule for Monday morning. We were ALWAYS closed on holidays. Basically, he decided that he didn't want to work OT that week.

I was disappointed, but reluctantly agreed to cut my holiday short.

I arrive Monday morning to open up the shop and get the specific task completed, only to find that MR. Joker had completed the job on Saturday.

I quit a month later.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Frankly speaking, what happens in your family is of non-concern for the company. Why should they? They pay you to do the job and you do the job. You two are already square and clear.
Your views on employment are amazing. So your employees family is of no concern to you? I bet that attitude wins you lots of friends. Yes, I know my co-workers are just super productive when their home life is in the toilet. Some of the best workers are the ones going through a divorce or are losing their homes. You are absolutely correct, home life means nothing.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 10-29-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Your views on employment are amazing. So your employees family is of no concern to you? I bet that attitude wins you lots of friends. Yes, I know my co-workers are just super protective when their home life is in the toilet. Some of the best workers are the ones going through a divorce or are losing their homes. You are absolutely correct, home life means nothing.
Keep in mind please that I am an employee. My family life and how I should live my life is none of my company's business.

Personally, when I am at work, I work. I don't bring my family into it. There's no need to.

As an employer, they definitely need to show concerns of their employee's family and try their best to maintain a work and life balance. However, they aren't there to feed and take care every employee's family, nor should they.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Power tripping. The manager was unreasonable. You were approved leave, you took it. What happens next is out of your control.

Companies like to test you...guess what...if they don't want you they terminate you. Always keep your life in focus...you work to live, you are not their property.

I read the book, "How Starbucks Saved My Life" by a man who had sacrificed much of his personal life for a corporate job for most of his career...and he was fired at age 55. Nice. Gives an excellent perspective on why to not sacrifice anything for your job.

So true! I sacrificed everything for the law firm where I worked - even missing a favorite aunt's funeral because of a deadline. Heck, they even forgot that I had time off scheduled for surgery (even though their calendars were marked and I gave them reminder memos), and they scheduled a client meeting to complete an estate tax return I had only just been given (so they could collect the fee, of course). Was I not going to be in at all? Uh...no. I check in at the hospital 8:00 a.m. Monday. I made them my priority for ten years, then they terminated me.

Good for you, OP, that you took that vacation. They can't take it away from you now! Maybe your manager was just jealous because he doesn't go anywhere.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
Quote:
Are you working for anybody? Had I heard these during an interview, I would never hire you on.

1) I wouldn't be happy happy but if the company makes up to me, I don't see anything wrong with that.

2) Stuff happens. It's rare but sometimes you are the only one who can address an issue. By canceling your trip and paying your cost, it is still significantly cheaper. Why not?

3. I should quit because the company is doing something unethical and I don't agree with. Canceling an approved vacation without compensation is unethical.

i agree with you.
yes, stuffs happens. If you are leaving to go to vacation could cost the company millions or billions, that's not a right thing to do either. It really depends on your position.

If they cover my cost and give me the vacation later, i don't see any problem with it.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I think there's one a lot of us keep forgetting: we are employee who work for others while the company has a business to run. I almost canceled my trip to Paris because of work.

I personally don't see this management request is abusive - stuff happens and certain key personnel just don't have the luxury when stuff happes. I don't know the reason, which is crucial, as why you were asked to cancel your vacation.

A reasonable approach is to ask your manager if the company can cover the cost incurred from canceling your vacation very politely. In the end, it's the company who changed its mind, not you.
Dude. I am the most dedicated type worker...100+ hour weeks, night, day, weekend, every holiday, etc.

But this IS abuse. This case. The manager failed to manage and now she should miss her trip?
B.S.

You know what? It's MY business so the buck stops with me. I work the extra crappy hours, I cover the emergencies, I take the hit when we lose money...my employees have their job, but you do not own them.

That manager was TOTALLY out of line.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
This very same topic came up last night...

Several times at the last minute I was told I could not go...

A couple of times it was no big deal

Twice, I had airline tickets, car rentals and overseas hotels... in these instances, I made photo copies of my confirmed expenditures/receipts and said all I needed was to be reimbursed for out of pocket and I will stay...

Both instances, I was told to go...

Vacation is always a problem... we have a limit to how much we can carry over... I've been called in a few times about excess vacation on the books and have to remind the powers that be I was asked to postpone my plans for company business.

A few years ago, a new manager told me I would not accrue anymore time off till I used 19 of the 40 I had...

Again, I said not a problem... I could start vacation today and would be back in 3 weeks... got a call from the CEO and was asked to stay and she would take care of HR...

I don't know... I've found it goes a lot easier to agree with the stipulation the company makes you whole...

Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude. I am the most dedicated type worker...100+ hour weeks, night, day, weekend, every holiday, etc.

But this IS abuse. This case. The manager failed to manage and now she should miss her trip?
B.S.

You know what? It's MY business so the buck stops with me. I work the extra crappy hours, I cover the emergencies, I take the hit when we lose money...my employees have their job, but you do not own them.

That manager was TOTALLY out of line.
Like I said, we don't know what the reason is. It could be if the person goes on vacation, the company would lose thousands a day. We don't know. So give the benefit of doubt at this point.

Did the manager fail? Of course but the employee also fails. We can't control our manager but we can control ourselves, right? Instead of complaining how terrible the manager is, why not focus on the things that we should have done?

I was on a plane to Italy 2 days after I put in a MAJOR IT system. Well, normally I would stay at least a week before I take off.

How did I get OK? I managed my manager. I did weekly review with him all the way through golive and I did proper transfer and training to make sure someone could cover me. I also made sure I had access when I was away.

All these efforts allowed me to go on my vacation which of course was approved long time ago but delays in the project pushed the deadline too close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment