Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM

166 posts, read 828,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Then I would agree he's not a good manager. :-)

Just curious, what did you do to make him aware before you trip? I guess I am more proactive so it's hard for me to imagine that a manager would come at the last minute to cancel your vacation.
@ Lifeexplorer - Yes, I am going to agree to VelvetJones here - and not respond to what I did to make him aware of my trip...I am a professional...with more than 18 yrs of experience in what I feel is a great career path...so I do know how to make my manager/team aware of my upcoming vacation of not one or two days but 2 weeks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
For example?

Take this for example, and it actually happened. I work in IT. A central hard drive system you are responsible of fails and affects the whole company - nobody can access anything.

So you tell me you would leave for your vacation?

I also work in I.T. If you work in a halfway decent shop where the people there don't have their thumbs up their posteriors, they know that it's extraordinarily dangerous for only one person to know how to address problems with mission-critical hardware or software. You have to have redundancy, and if whoever is in charge of that rag-tag bunch doesn't know that, they should be shown the door.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Bad or incompetent management is not the responsibility of the individual employee. If the company thinks resources are better spent on something other than a plan B, they should be prepared to suffer the consequences when plan B is needed.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I also work in I.T. If you work in a halfway decent shop where the people there don't have their thumbs up their posteriors, they know that it's extraordinarily dangerous for only one person to know how to address problems with mission-critical hardware or software. You have to have redundancy, and if whoever is in charge of that rag-tag bunch doesn't know that, they should be shown the door.
I was not asking about what the management should do - we all know what other people should do and it's easy to point fingers and tell others "You should do this and that". I was asking, in my example, what YOU would do?

Personally, if a critical system falls under my responsibility and it has problems right before I go on vacation, I stay until it's fixed unless my management tells me otherwise.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
My husband is telling me to call the Ethics hotline for the company and speak to someone about the manager - to see if this is company policy to ding someone over taking vacation..

No brainer. I'd absolutely report him, and I'd submit my resume to your corps' direct competition. What he did constitutes an employment act of war.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Bad or incompetent management is not the responsibility of the individual employee. If the company thinks resources are better spent on something other than a plan B, they should be prepared to suffer the consequences when plan B is needed.
1. Most companies don't think about business continuity until after they got burn. They also forget about burning very quickly.

2. Most companies have no money or very little budgeted for business continuity.

3. It is our responsibility as employees to bring up the opportunities for improvements. We shouldn't be responsible for management's screw-ups but keep in mind, if the company loses money, we would be getting pay cuts or out of job.

4. Most companies aren't prepared to suffer the consequences. Easy said then done. When you become a business owner, you will understand this point. You have very limited resource and very little time and you can only allocate your resource on things you need immediately. Very often you struggle even to pay the employees. Business continuity? Forget about it. Do you want to get paid or do you want the company to spend money on business continuity?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I personally advocate both employers and employees to be professional and ethical..
The OP's manager by linking her review to the request was unethical.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The OP's manager by linking her review to the request was unethical.
It is not unethical. If my employee tries to take off when he doesn't finish what he needs to finish, I'd fire him.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It is not unethical. If my employee tries to take off when he doesn't finish what he needs to finish, I'd fire him.
That's nice. If pre approved, and there was this much expense out of pocket, you'd lose any unemployment hearing, as you should. As someone related to one who worked with uc arbitraitors, I can tell you firsthand countless corps who could not win ANY claim, because they fired someone in circumstances like this, and discredited themselves with the UC field office long-term. It cost them dozens over what they were attempting to save. A few were Fortune 500s' by the way. Add .5% to UI per employee per year for a decade or two rebuilding reputation with the DOL and see what your calculator spits out for excess cost.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
1. Very often you struggle even to pay the employees. Business continuity? Forget about it. Do you want to get paid or do you want the company to spend money on business continuity?
Smart corps have plenty to cover payroll, make a profit, and form plans on business continuity. Idiots do none of these, but that is why 9 in 10 startups fail. Their owners are not intelligent enough to run a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment