Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
You know, it's becoming really important to me that the few people who post on this board and post negative things are giving newcomers/lurkers the impression that these incidents are commonplace and indicative of Triangle life as a whole. I want to express that sadly, racism does exist everywhere but the triangle is NOT a southern, backwards, redneck place. AT ALL. I worked at a place that was extremely diverse and friendly towards all races, sexual orientation, etc. Not that people shouldn't post their concerns but the posters here are a VERY small percentage of the actual population of the Triangle and the experiences posted on here do NOT represent life here as a whole by any means.
I just felt the need to make that point. sorry. carry on.

I did not mean to give that Impression, I really do love it in Raleigh and most people here are very nice and diverse in their thinking. These three guys all come in from Johnston county (nothing against JC as a whole) to work in Raleigh and they truely are Rednecks in every sense of the word. They call me a Yankee (from VA) and I can't get down with what they represent. They are born an bread native's who are just truely racist and they don't even try to hide it. How is one of them a manager is beyond me. I should probably report this to HR, but I would want proof before I did this. If these guys were fired it would totally cripple this place for a while until they found replacements.

It just really pissed me off today when one of them used the "N word" and just looked at me like I was going to laugh with him. I totally turned around and told him that word was not even in my vocabulary and he just walked away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,078,005 times
Having these guys fired will cripple your workplace for a while. Allowing racist behavior like this to continue unchecked will cripple our society for a lot longer than "a while".

Oh, and I'm a born and bred native and am far from racist or redneck. As was previously mentioned, racism exists everywhere, not just in the south. I'm pretty sure I've seen rednecks all over the country, too!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM

43 posts, read 220,687 times
At the very least, these boards ought to be honest. Generally, they are not. They are glossy, rose-colored views that ignore reality.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM

261 posts, read 620,254 times
I disagree completely. If I read the boards and I consistently see negative statements about an area, then that is real life for someone. That is someone's reality. The fact that it is an unfortunate reality doesn't negate the fact. So, the posters here DO represent life as a whole. It just may not be our life.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,078,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
At the very least, these boards ought to be honest. Generally, they are not. They are glossy, rose-colored views that ignore reality.
What is glossy and rose-colored about the blatant racism we're discussing and trying to put an end to it?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM

There is nothing glossy about it. But a poster above was in a tizzy about making sure newcomers didn't think we were all a bunch of racists.

An honest discussion starts with accepting its an issue.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM

579 posts, read 2,858,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post
I did not mean to give that Impression, I really do love it in Raleigh and most people here are very nice and diverse in their thinking. These three guys all come in from Johnston county (nothing against JC as a whole) to work in Raleigh and they truely are Rednecks in every sense of the word. They call me a Yankee (from VA) and I can't get down with what they represent. They are born an bread native's who are just truely racist and they don't even try to hide it. How is one of them a manager is beyond me. I should probably report this to HR, but I would want proof before I did this. If these guys were fired it would totally cripple this place for a while until they found replacements.

It just really pissed me off today when one of them used the "N word" and just looked at me like I was going to laugh with him. I totally turned around and told him that word was not even in my vocabulary and he just walked away.
I totally know that you didn't mean to give that impression! and that was not directed at you AT ALL! I commend you for wanting to do somethign about it and speak up. The world would be a better place if more were like you. you have every right to be down right pizzed about this. It's disgracful. Like I said, you totally have the right to post that to get advice from all the fine people on this board. I just wanted to remind our anonymous readers that this is not as commonplace here as they may think by reading this. For example I've posted stuff about my crazy HOA. lol I hope that doesn't give the impression that all HOA's here are like that buy it occurred to me recently that could be the case.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,932,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post
I work for a Govt. Agency and I'd say it's about half black half white. The little office I work in houses 3 other people besides me and they are constantly making racist jokes and using the "N-word". When a black employee comes in they help him and do what is necessary, but as soon as they leave they constantly talk bad about blacks. The manager said "once a N***er always a N***er". I was totally floored, but I realize that racism does exist in Raleigh and it's actually out in the open. Anyway, I know if I go to HR, there will be a backlash on me, since these guys will know that I am the one that ratted them out. Is they any other way I can do this? I guess I'm not just a good old boy and I can't bring myself to laugh at this crap.

Any suggestions?
Federal, state, county or city government agency? The answer to that will determine your regulatory options.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

261 posts, read 620,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
There is nothing glossy about it. But a poster above was in a tizzy about making sure newcomers didn't think we were all a bunch of racists.

An honest discussion starts with accepting its an issue.
I agree completely. This is not "How racist is the Triangle?" This is what it is.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM

keepthefaith, that is exactly my point. You seldom read much negative stuff about any place. Its overwhelmingly glowing, as if these boards were being run by a bunch of real estate agents or chamber of commerce people.

Negative comments are quckly refuted. There's a thread from this afternoon here from a guy from CT who didn't care much for the area -- said it lacked charmed. Then people get insulted. Hey, the guy doens't like it here, no big deal, to each his own.

But its hard to get a realistic picture about a place when its all "this place is the greatest"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment