Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM

428 posts, read 2,434,622 times

Advertisements

captnemo62,
Thank you for posting your real life experience with your work problem. I wish more would do the same, so that we could really see what works and what doesn't. Myself, I've heard more tales of woe from those who went to HR (just like HR tells you to do). That is why these questions are asked! We don't know what HR is really going to do until they're doing it to us!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 AM

40 posts, read 133,475 times
This may have been covered. I did not read all 5 pages.

If you work for the Gov. and unless your gov training is different than mine (it may well be), you should let the offenders know that you do not like it first. Give them a chance to fix it themselves rather than possibly get them reprimanded. It will look better on you in the long run if it does indeed escalate to HR.

Edit: also, when referring to the 'manager'...is that your manager, or just a manager?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

558 posts, read 2,242,919 times
Lots of good suggestions here! I think the most important thing is that you DO SOMETHING. This kind of behavior is just wrong, and must be addressed. Your speaking out is a good start, but a report should definitely go higher up.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM

239 posts, read 796,112 times
Well, if you are so offended by racism, come on down here to Orlando with me. If you are white, you will know exactly what it's like to be a minority down here, and you can put up with being called "white bread" and "stupid gringo".

Personally, I don't care and laugh it off. But it has taught me not to be offended for myself, and not to be offended when someone uses the "N" word. I reckon it's just the way that it is, and I would never bring it up to HR at work.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 AM

If it makes you feel better...I was beat by 4 locals, and am suffering partial vision loss, vertigo, and memory loss because I am white (according to their statements).

Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
If it makes you feel better...I was beat by 4 locals, and am suffering partial vision loss, vertigo, and memory loss because I am white (according to their statements).
Sadly, some people suffer from "white guilt" and your story may indeed make them feel better...

Get well.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
Sadly, some people suffer from "white guilt" and your story may indeed make them feel better...

Get well.
I just like playing with trolls..., but thanks..I am still on a cane, but getting better. I should be forward deployed before you know it!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
captnemo62,
Thank you for posting your real life experience with your work problem. I wish more would do the same, so that we could really see what works and what doesn't. Myself, I've heard more tales of woe from those who went to HR (just like HR tells you to do). That is why these questions are asked! We don't know what HR is really going to do until they're doing it to us!!
I'm not HR, but I am a Jr. Exec and I can tell you I cringe when someone comes to my office to talk about racist remarks at work. It's just something I don't want to deal with.

Why?

Because 99.9999% of the time when someone like yourself comes to me, I have to investigate your coworkers. Then they hate you (no matter how tactful I am, they KNOW it's you), and you will be back in my office crying about that in a week or two. Then, the person(s) involved will almost ALWAYS grab their best work friend in the world - who of course is black - to come in and vouch for their character and say that they have this type of relationship and they are comfortable with it.

The end result is that they are given a verbal warning to be more professional, they are not written up for being racists, and they come back and make your life hell for being a snitch.

If I were you and it really bothered me, I would tell them to face-to-face that you are uncomfortable and you are going to bring it up to HR if it happens again. If you don't have the guts to do that and instead try to hide behind HR, I can assure you they will find out and your remaining days will be unpleasant.

Either way, you are not going to be popular. (Kind of like me right now!)

I'm not trying to be rude, but I have seen this paly out over and over in 28 different locations throughout the southeast. HR will not protect you. Their only concern is getting to the bottom of the issue and not getting sued. If they can do this and protect your identity, they will, however, if it means throwing you under the bus, they will do it in a flash.

If you tell your coworkers that it makes you feel uncomfortable - not because you are sensitive, but because they may get themselves or even you in trouble - they may take it better. Trust me, they'd rather hear it from you than HR.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
you should let the offenders know that you do not like it first. Give them a chance to fix it themselves rather than possibly get them reprimanded. It will look better on you in the long run if it does indeed escalate to HR.
See above...you have two folks with experience telling ya something..

Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM

428 posts, read 2,434,622 times
Stupid Flanders,

Thank you for the information. It confirms what I sort of already knew, that what HR says (to do) at workshops and what later happens (if you do) are two totally different things.

Navy--
Feel better soon. Thanks for your Service.

Love,
missy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment