Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

The main point of the discussion is, I guess, what is the goal/point of education, when it comes to preparation for the workforce.

IS education preparation for working? is that the main goal of it.....,a PART of it, but not the main part, is that none of it at all?

Last edited by selhars; 11-04-2012 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I believe that any degree obtained with the soul purpose of gaining employment or advancing ones employment is a waste of time, energy, sleep, money, life etc. There are people out there who truly have a life-long passion for their desired field or for the pure love of learning. Those are the people who will find their degrees invaluable.
Post of the day

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The main point of the discussion is, I guess, what is the goal/point of education, when it comes to preparation for the workforce.

IS education preparation for working? is that the main goal of it.....,a PART of it, but not the main part, is that none of it at all?
IMHO it's for

1. work readiness and critical thinking

2. and igniting a love of problem-solving/overall improving.

3. and knowing that no matter the scenario, there's always room to make methods and rules and things better!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The unfortunate fact is that advances in cybernetics have diminished and or outdated many of the skills that used to be in greater demand. It also means that people who retain marginal marketability in those skills have to physically participte at a faster rate -- in call centers, etc.

I have a BS in Business, which includes a good deal of underpinning in Accounting; two friends and I generate a fair amount of cash every winter doing income taxes. So some years ago, I looked into CPA certification and completed the first 12 credits of the necessary 24. However, while the instructors loved both my work and the insights provoded by a 37-year-old in a roomfull of undergrads, it was impossible to escape the internship and the senseless regimentation that accompanies nearly all entry-level accounting work.

The dispartity between the technical and the inatngible has changed -- and not for the better, since globalization has allowed more offshoring of the pick-and-shovel work. The boss will charge Gramps and Gram several times what he pays you, while you spend too much time feigning itnerest in the Sacred Pictures of the Grandchildren and promising to read their Bible tracts. And don't forget that a lot of that first raise (if you're lucky enough, or just two-faced enough to get one) will have to go to an expensive. uncomfortable, and unnecessary wardrobe which () isn't even tax-deductible.

So probably the best advice I can offer is that if there's any job that has always turned you on -- go for it. A long-time hobby as a railroad buff once landed me a temporary job "slamming switches" from a now-closed signal tower -- it's where my "screen name" orginated, and I will likley recall it as the best job I ever had, if only for one summer.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-04-2012 at 01:16 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I get tired of the stereotype that people with degrees in liberal arts disciplines are shiftless losers.

Not what anyone said. They, myself included said that the poly-sci, liberal arts degrees are not particularly helpful in this economy to find work other than to scale the employer bar "requiring" a college degree. I'll be willing to bet that you aren't a recent grad, probably pre Y2K.
You may not think that but I've seen exactly that sentiment expressed here quite often. I am a pre-Y2K grad, but not by much: 1997.

Quote:
I think we can all agree that not everyone is cut out for college. Either they are too immature at the time to properly apply themselves or they aren't sharp enough to get into top schools and then to distinguish themselves academically. Would you folks that are advocating for college education for everyone be willing to make it part of public education (IOW free) so that the folks that aren't cut out for college can attend state schools with your tax paying dollars rather than saddle those youths with 40-50K of debt for a "magna-***-nada" degree that won't do them doodly squat in the job market? That system isn't working except for the best and brightest. What about the rest of them? That's my point.
I don't believe that college is right for everyone, but I think everyone who is college material should have the opportunity to go.

Quote:
Maybe these kids that are living with mom and dad 3 years after graduating from college working part time at the Gap would have been better off with Vo-tech or starting at the bottom of the pile and working up. Maybe beauty school, dental hygiene or auto shop. I understand that machinists are in high demand and employers are looking for those with the skills which tend to be the gray heads ready to retire but these manual jobs aren't "sexy" nor do they convey tons of recognition or esteem. Ridiculous society that we live in denigrates the folks that do the actual work and we've passed that to our children.
Dental hygiene is morphing into a four-year program, but I see your point. We need more vocational education for sure.

Quote:
No one is saying that if Jack or Jill is super bright and are willing to apply themselves that college is a waste of time or money. It is where these type of kids belong, but they probably better get an advanced degree or choose their courses well with a specific field in mind.

It's not an either/or argument. What most folks are saying is the college track is not working the way it should for a significant portion of the post graduates saddled with debt, no job prospects and further behind than the HS grad that started working from the bottom up.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
FWIW I have no dog in this fight. I retired in great financial shape in my late 40s, but I see the world realistically and it isn't working the way it should for many, passion, anger, opinions, beliefs to the contrary notwithstanding.
Lucky you. I'm 37 and my retirement plan is to smoke a LOT so I don't survive my 70s.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Post of the day
...I agree...and I find it amusing that the poster used the word 'soul' instead of 'sole'...intentional or not, very thought provoking.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Lucky you. I'm 37 and my retirement plan is to smoke a LOT so I don't survive my 70s.
Haha, that's great.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I believe that any degree obtained with the soul purpose of gaining employment or advancing ones employment is a waste of time, energy, sleep, money, life etc. There are people out there who truly have a life-long passion for their desired field or for the pure love of learning. Those are the people who will find their degrees invaluable.
Yeah, whatever. This kind of thinking works only if you happen to be independently rich. Kudos to those who are.

For the rest of us mortals, higher education ----> $$$$. And that's the bottom line.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, whatever. This kind of thinking works only if you happen to be independently rich. Kudos to those who are.

For the rest of us mortals, higher education ----> $$$$. And that's the bottom line.
AMEN-

the way i see it, why bother doing high education if it is not for an investment toward employment. There is no way I want to put down 40-50k spend 4 years and come out with debt to "better myself, become a global citizen, more well rounded etc..." bull, ask the english grads working at Starbucks, the pysch grad working at Stop and Shop, ask them ithere thoughts on college.

The purpose of college is to give on a better shot at employment than if he/she stopped after high school, that is it. At the same time that does not mean the student should jsut go to class and come home everyday for 4 years, there must be effort on his part outside of class. Internshps, part time, work unrelated to major, willing to settle etc...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The unfortunate fact is that advances in cybernetics have diminished and or outdated many of the skills that used to be in greater demand. It also means that people who retain marginal marketability in those skills have to physically participte at a faster rate -- in call centers, etc.
Interesting. For example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment