Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
My employer is having a holiday party during the day. We've been informed that we are required to attend if we would normally work on that day (most folks are salaried and full-time but we have a few part-timers who aren't in every day).

I am actually surprised that I've been ordered to attend a holiday party.

Curious if others encounter this and what they do about it. I find myself wondering what would happen if I call in sick that day.
sounds like it's on company time...what's the issue. Maybe you'll walk away w/a bonus check. So drop a little kalua in your coffee and have a good time.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
It's better to be paid to eat than to be overworked and burned out. I don't see the problem.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What's the problem? Those are the perfect holiday parties. They're done during the day and you will most likely leave early for the day.

The ones that are a PITA are the ones on a Saturday night, where you have to sit around a table with people you really don't want to socialize with.

Having it during office hours is easy. You have something to eat, make a little small talk, and go home early.
I used to love the daytime parties. The evening ones were/are a burden. OP should just go and be glad that it's not some 8 hour albatross.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Well, my company has no money, so we will be sitting in a conference room eating and drinking god knows what. Certainly no alcohol.

It will be a grand old time.
Seriously, read seain dublin's post again. If the company had money, they'd probably have an expensive fancy party that required you to go through all sorts of trouble and expense to attend. I don't like those at all--but I still always go to them. You should be happy that you get to spend time shooting the breeze in the conference room.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I just have to wonder why so many people on this thread are trying to convince me to go and enjoy this stupid party!

Its my party and I'll cry about it if I want to!!!!!! LOL

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
I've read this entire thread.....and I can't believe that ANY sensible employer would even think of having alcohol at a company party.

Here in Canada, that kind of thing is DEAD, as many court decisions have placed the legal onus on the COMPANY< when a employee has driven home after drinking at a company party, and injured or killed someone with their car. The Canadian courts have ruled that, in such a situation, the company WILL be held legally responsible, and fined, BIG time. Like a million dollars, for a death, caused by a drunk employee, who was given free booze, at a company party.

The same type of legal decisions have been made, against bar owners, who over serve customers, who then drive drunk. To say that we take drunk driving VERY seriously, is a under statement, here in Canada.

The same legal rules apply to a home party, where a host serves alcohol to their guests, and then allows them to drive away. We have a active "anti drunk driving program " here that tells everyone to `Take a cab `sleep over , or take the bus`. Friends don`t let friends drive after drinking, here,

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default well then...

Quote:
I just have to wonder why so many people on this thread are trying to convince me to go and enjoy this stupid party!

Its my party and I'll cry about it if I want to!!!!!! LOL
tell us what you wanted to hear.
Koale

Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Seriously.

I mean, there are people without power, in storms, their homes are in shambles. And you complain about a holiday party.

Heck, there are people who have to attend holiday parties OUTSIDE of work hours who also have it worse than you...yet you complain.

You are getting free food, you are being paid, and you are going to be forced to spend time with the SAME PEOPLE YOU DO EVERY DAY while at work and being paid...without the food. Sorry, no sympathy.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Do not call in sick!

Arrive a bit late, don't drink, smile, leave early.

Quote:
My employer is having a holiday party during the day. We've been informed that we are required to attend if we would normally work on that day (most folks are salaried and full-time but we have a few part-timers who aren't in every day).

I am actually surprised that I've been ordered to attend a holiday party.

Curious if others encounter this and what they do about it. I find myself wondering what would happen if I call in sick that day.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
I hardly ever attended the holiday parties that my employers hosted. I had better things to do. When I did attend, I made sure the big wigs saw me and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment