Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

I currently work for Sam's Club. There are all types of tattooed folks here. At first, I was surprised by how many. I never noticed people at Sam's Club like that at all. It seems like everyone but me is tatted. Eventually I just ignored it and accepted it as their choice. I don't think they should have ever gotten tattoos but the damage is done and they need jobs like everyone else. Although I must say, it didn't surprise me when one of the bosses told me that this Sam's Club is rated near the bottom on the list of Sam's Club in the area. They are very unorganized, unprofessional, not enough employees, and the physical appearances of the staff leaves much to be desired. You can basically wear whatever you want. We have people in hipster clothes, tattoos, gauges in their ears, and I couldn't believe it when I had seen an associate walking around with his pants below his waist. Based on the expensive cars I've seen out in the parking lot, we have a plethora of wealthy and middle-class customers that probably do not take too well to people looking like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Not at all. Making assumptions about people based on their outward appearace, genetic or not, especially when it comes to a situation like this, is simply ignorant...regardless of whether said appearance is natural or not.
I didn't make any assumptions. What I was pointing out that some poster said the OP was way off base and then conditioned themselves with what THEY felt was inappropriate. It was a double-standard....that's all I was pointing out.

Here's the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
You are not being forced against your will to shop there. I really hate people who are that bothered by tattoos. These people are working and they don't deserve to be judged.
I can understand the need to cover up a tattoo if you are a high profile attorney or dr. But whole foods?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You mean THE SAME RISKS that come with any and every intrusion procedure a person gets? Ranging from heart surgery, to tattoos, to wisdom teeth pulling, to breast implants? Any time someone gets even a paper cut there is a chance of something happening. Anytime anyone engages in sexual activity, there is a chance of getting a disease.

I am just stunned, just stunned by this.

That same statement can be said for about everything involing poking, cutting, sex, or other things that happen to the human body.

I guess you did read, just did not comprehend.
Personal insults aside, you are correct.

My only point, presented civilly I'll add, is that there is SOME validity to the health risks associated with a tatted up person especially someone with full sleeves, neck/face tattoos etc....and the tats just immediately bring to mind the risks.

Have a good evening. Hope your day improves.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
You actually may have a valid point on food handler's with tattoos...have they been tested for hepatitis? Probably not. Yet, see the coorelation between tattoos and hepatitis...
Hepatitis C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am personally more grossed out by a person with dreadlocks than tats...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You should be much more concerned about where their hands have been than with their tattoos.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Not at all. Making assumptions about people based on their outward appearace, genetic or not, especially when it comes to a situation like this, is simply ignorant...regardless of whether said appearance is natural or not.
Then why do you hide yours under a suit or long sleeve shirt?

If it's all good....then it's all good, right?

Look, I have no problems with tattoos at all, personally. My own pastor has full sleeves down both arms and I have a lot of friends with tats. But if you don't think excessive tats make an impression on folks, you're naive. I'd even go so far as to say that's probably what most are for...especially (as stated) when it's excessive. So just as it's anyone's right to get tattoos for the "shock factor", it's anyone's right to HAVE a "shock factor".

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's amusing to see the modern tattooed defending themselves given that old school tattooed people didn't give a damn what people thought, indeed the tattoos were a declaration of not giving a damn.
This is an internet forum. Do you expect people to make a post against something and then no one would respond? That is just silly.

And your idea of people who have tattoos is a bit outdated. I know many people with tattoos, myself included, who did not get them as a declaration of not giving a damn.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I don't think the OP meant there was an issue with work ethic or character....rather that tattoos do expose the recipient to some level of risk for disease. (Particularly concerning when handling food for others.)

The Truth About Tattoos: Health Risks, Toxicity and More
The OP didn't say that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You actually may have a valid point on food handler's with tattoos...have they been tested for hepatitis? Probably not. Yet, see the coorelation between tattoos and hepatitis...
Hepatitis C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am personally more grossed out by a person with dreadlocks than tats...
There is a correlation between tattoos and hepatitis C, but not really between Hep C and food handling. Hep A is the one passed through food. I suppose there is a very slim chance of passing Hep C through food, but the carrier would have to bleed in your food, and you'd probably have to get that blood in an open cut on your body.

In any case, the OP didn't say anything about being worried about disease, only that he finds tats unappealing. Plus, a lot of people have piercings and tats that aren't visible to customers.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I know many people with tattoos, myself included, who did not get them as a declaration of not giving a damn.
Your defensive attitude makes that obvious.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The OP didn't say that at all.
You're right. I guess I read that into it and it isn't there. Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment