Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,144,600 times

Advertisements

Tattoos do not bother me - it is what it is, and I try not to cast judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm 52. Maybe that's my problem. I disdain tattoos. I realize some from my age group have had them for years, or have just recently sported them.

Well, I hate when the person dishing my prepared food into a container at Whole Foods Market is sporting huge arm tattoos. It's unappetizing and unappealing. I expect better from their employees, but I guess human resources wants their employees to reflect their shoppers. Well, I don't sense too many of their shoppers wear these, although I guess some do.

Seems that Trader Joe's has a larger share of employees who have piercings and/or tattoos, or are just plain funky.

But tonight at Panera Bread, the 29-year-old sandwich artiste had arm tattoos AND a neck tattoo. Have never seen that in my experiences at several of their stores. Again, so unappealing. How can someone like that get hired? Put him in the back of the store or the basement, doing other asks. I know, very mean of me but that's why I'm so angry and writing this. It probably doesn't even belong in this forum? And of course I've offended many here...

Hey, Jimmy John's sandwiches doesn't employee drivers with visible tatts. And they're nowhere as classy as the above stores. I like their policy.
What's wrong with tattoos? I have 3 on each arm and spent 12 years in the Army as Section Chief, Squad Leader, Acting Platoon Sergeant, Instructor and Advisor to the Commander on Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare. In civilian life, I spent 10 plus years in the hotel industry in one form of supervision/management/trainer or another.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,278,831 times
I would never hire anyone with a tattoo. Visible or not. In fact, I would fire anyone who got one.

Except maybe a tramp stamp if she knew how to work.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,278,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Tattoos do not bother me - it is what it is, and I try not to cast judgment.
You are right, it is what it is.

The mark of white trash

Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I would never hire anyone with a tattoo. Visible or not. In fact, I would fire anyone who got one.

Except maybe a tramp stamp if she knew how to work.
Make up your mind. Either you'll hire someone with a tat or you won't. Sexism is not a valid reason to hire or not hire.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
You are right, it is what it is.

The mark of white trash
Define white trash. There are quite a few CEOs, etc with tats who probably have a better life style than you could ever dream of.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,820,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm 52. Maybe that's my problem. I disdain tattoos. I realize some from my age group have had them for years, or have just recently sported them.

Well, I hate when the person dishing my prepared food into a container at Whole Foods Market is sporting huge arm tattoos. It's unappetizing and unappealing. I expect better from their employees, but I guess human resources wants their employees to reflect their shoppers. Well, I don't sense too many of their shoppers wear these, although I guess some do.

Seems that Trader Joe's has a larger share of employees who have piercings and/or tattoos, or are just plain funky.

But tonight at Panera Bread, the 29-year-old sandwich artiste had arm tattoos AND a neck tattoo. Have never seen that in my experiences at several of their stores. Again, so unappealing. How can someone like that get hired? Put him in the back of the store or the basement, doing other asks. I know, very mean of me but that's why I'm so angry and writing this. It probably doesn't even belong in this forum? And of course I've offended many here...

Hey, Jimmy John's sandwiches doesn't employee drivers with visible tatts. And they're nowhere as classy as the above stores. I like their policy.
If I were you, I'd find a new bread-baking chain to patronize, because Panera is very well known for their crusading affirmative action policies regarding the hiring of the tattooed and the pierced. I'm amazed you're not aware of this, as Panera's hiring practices have all-but-monopolized cable news coverage for the past year or so. Now, you might be interested in knowing that Panera are especially progressive when it comes to hiring people with facial tattoos...Mike Tyson has a had a job offer on the table from Panera ever since he declared bankruptcy. Nose rings are also grounds for all-but-automatic hiring by Panera; in some cases, Panera managers may ask for a belly-button check to make sure that the nose-ringed-applicant's navel is pierced as well. The Better Business Bureau of the United States and Canada has for the better part of a decade acknowledged Panera's pioneering policy of employing as close to a fully-tattooed workforce as possible, and Dennis Rodman recently pledged to devote the entirety of his dwindling fortune to the cause of investing in 10 new Panera franchises across Southern California. I also recall that at some point over the past year the CEO of the company called a press conference to announce that he was planning to have "Panera" tattooed on each of his eyelids. As it turned out, when he got to the tattoo parlor, he wound up being talked into an additional pair of tattooes, on his earlobes, if I recall correctly. If you'd like any more information to further combat your total ignorance on this subject, feel free to contact me via private message

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 11-27-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,471,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
i wonder how people like that can work at places like that too. there is a small coffee stand in small foodcourt/mall near my house and i saw this kid with this big tattoo on his arm. and the mall is right under a buuilding where nothing but bankers laywers or other professional bussnessman work. and i am like and those people are okay with a kid who has big gaint visabale tattoo across his arm severing them coffee. oh and ofcoruse i tired to apply for for job there i saw a sign that said they were hiring i was not never called or anything.
Having a tattoo has nothing to do with competence. However, not being able to spell simple words might correlate with your ability to get hired.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,916 times
I am 50 so I am of the same age group as the OP but I have NO problems with wait staff having Tats, what I care about is their hair clean and well kept? Is their clothing/uniform clean? Is their BODY clean? Do they single-handedly keep the perfume/cologne mgfs in business? Can they speak coherent English? Can they UNDERSTAND English?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You mean this part?

Due to the use of needles in tattoo application, there is also the risk of contracting infectious diseases such as tetanus, herpes simplex virus, staph, HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis B and C, and even Syphilis.

Learn more: The Truth About Tattoos: Health Risks, Toxicity and More

No, didn't read it.
REALLY ?? You are at a much greater risk of catching something for someone that didn't wash their hands after going potty than a person with a healed Tat, and of your list those are pretty hard or impossible to contract from casual contact during food prep. You can't "catch" AIDS ever, or even HIV from casual contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment