Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

I'm 52. Maybe that's my problem. I disdain tattoos. I realize some from my age group have had them for years, or have just recently sported them.

Well, I hate when the person dishing my prepared food into a container at Whole Foods Market is sporting huge arm tattoos. It's unappetizing and unappealing. I expect better from their employees, but I guess human resources wants their employees to reflect their shoppers. Well, I don't sense too many of their shoppers wear these, although I guess some do.

Seems that Trader Joe's has a larger share of employees who have piercings and/or tattoos, or are just plain funky.

But tonight at Panera Bread, the 29-year-old sandwich artiste had arm tattoos AND a neck tattoo. Have never seen that in my experiences at several of their stores. Again, so unappealing. How can someone like that get hired? Put him in the back of the store or the basement, doing other asks. I know, very mean of me but that's why I'm so angry and writing this. It probably doesn't even belong in this forum? And of course I've offended many here...

Hey, Jimmy John's sandwiches doesn't employee drivers with visible tatts. And they're nowhere as classy as the above stores. I like their policy.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 11-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Big deal. Don't you have something better to fuss about?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
I am glad they have and show their tattoos. You are not going to get some tattoo disease from them. When I see folks showing their ink, I tend to frequent their business more, because they hire with a open mind.

BTW, I shop Whole Foods and Trader Joes weekly.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Big deal. Don't you have something better to fuss about?
You are not being forced against your will to shop there. I really hate people who are that bothered by tattoos. These people are working and they don't deserve to be judged.
I can understand the need to cover up a tattoo if you are a high profile attorney or dr. But whole foods?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Wow, did someone with tattoos pee in your oatmeal this morning?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm 52. Maybe that's my problem. I disdain tattoos. I realize some from my age group have had them for years, or have just recently sported them.

Well, I hate when the person dishing my prepared food into a container at Whole Foods Market is sporting huge arm tattoos.
You know what I hate? When some nasty old person is working the deli. They should put those people in the back of the store or something, and have only attractive 20-somethings where customers can see them.

Silly, right? You're just as silly.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
People get tatoos in order to be odd and edgy yet many resent it when people treat them as being...odd and edgy. This is most often found among young people of bourgeois upbringing who want to have their cake and eat it too, who want tatoos to be "nice", and less so among working class people and criminals who make no bones about tatoos being a hostile and anti social display.

I think Whole Foods allows their employees to look like rebels just as long as they don't act like rebels, you know, organize a union. You can look as screwball as you like as long as you don't make waves. Eunuchs with tatoos and piercings.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'm 52 and I love tattoos. Don't have a problem at all with them showing.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Well, I hate when the person dishing my prepared food into a container at Whole Foods Market is sporting huge arm tattoos. It's unappetizing and unappealing. I expect better from their employees, but I guess human resources wants their employees to reflect their shoppers. Well, I don't sense too many of their shoppers wear these, although I guess some do.

Seems that Trader Joe's has a larger share of employees who have piercings and/or tattoos, or are just plain funky.

But tonight at Panera Bread, the 29-year-old sandwich artiste had arm tattoos AND a neck tattoo. Have never seen that in my experiences at several of their stores. Again, so unappealing. How can someone like that get hired? Put him in the back of the store or the basement, doing other asks. I know, very mean of me but that's why I'm so angry and writing this. It probably doesn't even belong in this forum? And of course I've offended many here...

Hey, Jimmy John's sandwiches doesn't employee drivers with visible tatts. And they're nowhere as classy as the above stores. I like their policy.

If you cannot stand someone who prepares your food and has tattoos you should visit the grocery store more often and cook at home because there are people in every profession who have tattoos.

For the record I am 52 and I have a tattoo on each wrist that I have had for a couple of years, this of course is my preferance and I have them for ME not to impress nor please anyone else. The first tattoo I ever got I was 38 years old and it can be seen IF I show it. The ones on my wrist can be seen unless I specifically wear a long sleeve shirt that covers them except I rarely cover them because I am not ashamed of them.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Tattoos are not quite what they used to be. While I think there is still a larger percentage of tattooed not so classy people, it's not quite the social divider that it might have been when we were younger. Plenty of people with tattoos are actually perfectly normal, and I think today most people don't react to them as anything special. Therefore, it probably never occurred to those companies not to hire tattooed workers. I'm afraid your feelings about them are unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment