Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who finished a BS in Computer Science and having trouble looking for work in this economy.. he's been unemployed since graduating last June.

He's looking for something to pay the bills while he finds something in his field. His mechnical skills are well below average so this rules out McDonalds, bartending, waiting tables, etc. What low/minimum wage jobs out there require relatively little mechanical aptitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
He has a BS in Comp Sci and he can't find a job?

Has he considered relocating?

Computer Science Entry Level Recent Graduate Jobs, Employment in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688 | Indeed.com

But to answer your question, telemarketing, customer service, ....anything sitting by a phone.
Pickup up trash.
Washing cars.
Mowing lawns.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Ok, didn't think of telemarketing or customer service..

But mowing lawns, picking up trash, etc. are out of the question for this guy with his extreme mechanical ineptitude (or natural clumsiness in layman's terms.)

Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I have a friend who finished a BS in Computer Science and having trouble looking for work in this economy.. he's been unemployed since graduating last June.

He's looking for something to pay the bills while he finds something in his field. His mechnical skills are well below average so this rules out McDonalds, bartending, waiting tables, etc. What low/minimum wage jobs out there require relatively little mechanical aptitude?
I don't see why McDonalds (or other fast food jobs) should be ruled out. I worked one during high school, and I'm pretty darn clumsy.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM

110 posts, read 174,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't see why McDonalds (or other fast food jobs) should be ruled out. I worked one during high school, and I'm pretty darn clumsy.
There you go!!!

Perfect idea!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM

122 posts, read 482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

After my BF was laid off from his job, collecting unemployment and then relocating to a new city for my current job, he was able to get a full-time job at a local marriott courtyard motel as a houseman/housekeeping aide. It only paid slightly more than a fast-food joint but the environment was much nicer and he was offered decent health insurance and free uniforms. He only had to work there for 3 months until he secured a new job in his field, but it was a great survival job and also gave him some fresh references. He still helps them out on weekends sometimes for the extra cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment