Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM

43 posts, read 158,743 times

Advertisements

I've been in a new position for a couple of weeks now, and I've been feeling as though I've made a mistake. I've had new job jitters in the past, but this new job has been keeping me up at night. In truth, the role is very different than my last position and the duties aren't a great fit with my experience. My main reason for leaving my old job was the pay increase involved with this one (plus, a little instability at the old place). Now I'm wondering if the pay bump was really worth it. I'm actually feeling very foolish, as though I jumped into something that's well over my head.

Have any of you accepted a position that just wasn't a good fit at all? If so, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Hiring manager said there was a 90 day probation period. After 2 1/2 months, I asked for a one-to-one meeting and turned in my resignation letter. I thanked him for the opportunity, profusely. I advised him that I would not finish the probation period. He was a class act, during my last 2 weeks.

I had already accepted another job for more money. It was a smooth transition.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Hiring manager said there was a 90 day probation period. After 2 1/2 months, I asked for a one-to-one meeting and turned in my resignation letter. I thanked him for the opportunity, profusely. I advised him that I would not finish the probation period. He was a class act, during my last 2 weeks.

I had already accepted another job for more money. It was a smooth transition.
That sounds like the perfect situation. Did you just omit that position from your resume altogether, as though it never happened?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,303 times
I can't say I've regretted accepting a job, but I sure have regretted not accepting a few.

When IKEA came to town, I was working as an hourly in retail, and one of the regional guys came in to my store and saw me working and asked me what I did there, and after telling him, he told me that he liked my ethic and asked me straight out if I wanted to join their management team for a store opening in town. I declined. He came in several more times over the course of about 6 weeks, seeking me out and would ask if I changed my mind. I declined every time. The last time he came in, he told me that I would regret not joining IKEA. Hindsight being 20/20, he was right.

Another time, after posting my resume on Monster back when it was real hot, I kept getting calls from Toys R Us to run one of their stores in town. Since I knew where they were wanting to put their new manager, I knew it was in a part of town that required bullet proofing of me and my car and probably a concealed weapons permit. I declined the interview the 5 times they called me over the course of 3 months. It wasn't until later, when they hired a guy I knew of from the company I was at, that I found out they were paying double what I was making. 9 yrs later, that dude is still working for them, and moved on to a nice store.

Another Monster calling came from K-Mart not long after Toys R Us and they would call me non-stop. I think it was in the neighborhood of 1 call per day for 2 months straight. The message they would leave was about a management job in a store in town. Knowing the business, I knew that the only K-Mart management opening in town was one that I lived near, which sounds like a bonus. I shopped there often, and, man, it was a disaster. OSHA and Fire Marshal violations left and right in that place. I'm talking blocking fire doors with heavy sellable merchandise. At the end of the second month of calling, I finally answered just to get them to stop calling, and they elongated the conversation and start the interview process. They promised me almost 3x what I was making at that point, and I told them that they should invest that money into fixing that store and find somebody else. Retrospectively, I wish I would had taken that job. The work needed to fix that place was right up my alley and I could have scored even bigger raises and looked even better. Plus, I have always enjoyed K-Mart the most out of the "Big 3". No selling pressure like Target, and no crowds like Wal-Mart. You can get in and get some real work done.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 AM

Some interesting perspectives. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I've been able to find jobs in this economy...but it doesn't take away the feelings I've been having toward this one. I'm trying to give myself a date of a couple of months and if it hasn't worn off by then, I might have to consider throwing in the towel, which is something I haven't done before.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01 View Post
That sounds like the perfect situation. Did you just omit that position from your resume altogether, as though it never happened?
I have held several entry level positions, but they are not relevant to my current career. I have left off jobs at fast food, security guard, to merchandiser setting up Christmas displays. They are always included for the job application and left off the resume. They may need the information for a background check on the application.

The job may be relevant to your current line of work. It is such a short stint, that I would leave it off. It raises questions. Will this guy leave me in 2 months, too? If they ask for job history for a background check, I include the position for the job application only.

I ended up so much happier. We spend more of our waking hours at work than home. Life is too short. Why would I stay in a job that I hate? *smile*

Do not burn bridges, as you may run into the same people at different companies. Remember to be professional, grateful, and calm.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Yes, I've accepted a job and regretted it. I was working in a position that required a lot of traveling and I hated the travel, so I accepted a position somewhere else that wouldn't require any. It was a big mistake. Luckily, my former job took me back and compared to the miserable non-traveling job, it was nice going back. I lasted 6 months at the dysfunctional place in all.

If you really are unhappy, then you should look for something else. My short stint at that one job does not seem to have hurt my career any. Of course, that depends on your industry, but I get solicited for jobs often, even with that 6 month job on my profile/resume.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Yes, this past fall. A local farmer hired me to sort and pack vegetables for market . I could only work in the late afternoons after I got home from my full time job, and I only wanted to work two days a week. I told him definitely NO weekends. His pickers showed up sporadically at best (he only paid them $5.00 an hour, so I can't blame them). I'd get there and no picking had been done, so I had to go out in the heat and pick, then sort and pack it. Then he'd ask me to help him pick corn on Saturday. I told him, again, I did not work weekends. What I really hated was picking that corn - we had to go through the rows, yank it off the stalks and throw it in the back of the truck, then husk it. It made my arm and shoulder very sore. I quit after three weeks when I couldn't bend my fingers and it was affecting my regular job. NEVER AGAIN. He only paid me $7.00 an hour and acted like I owed him the moon.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
yes, i regretted accepting a job, so i worked there 5 weeks and quit and went back on unemployment, that was over 12 years ago.
but no, i would never stay at a job I did not like.
life is too short to me miserable.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Its definitely more common than not I would think. I had two that I just outright realized that I made a mistake, and left within 45 days. It happens, the 90day probationary period can be viewed as a two way thing. Of course, we as job seekers tend to have more riding on the situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment