Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times

Advertisements

I find it hard to find 10 different positions a day, even in a big city. It can add up to 310 resumes/month. It's not a matter of time, but job availability.

If you are careful about not bombing a company with multiple resumes, you will often find the same job on different websites. The same position may be taken down and posted again, a few weeks later. That's while applying for positions that are vaguely related to my experience. When I did get an interview, the job posting and resume were usually relevant matches. I never did get a call on the long shots, where my job experience had only the smallest relevance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I find it hard to find 10 different positions a day, even in a big city. It can add up to 310 resumes/month. It's not a matter of time, but job availability.

If you are careful about not bombing a company with multiple resumes, you will often find the same job on different websites. The same position may be taken down and posted again, a few weeks later. That's while applying for positions that are vaguely related to my experience. When I did get an interview, the job posting and resume were usually relevant matches. I never did get a call on the long shots, where my job experience had only the smallest relevance.

10 applications a week sounds more realistic and even that's hard some months.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
This isn't my first rodeo. I've been in the work force since 1972. I know what my skill set is. I know how to market myself. No, I do NOT wait for jobs to show up on a job board or have one appear in my email inbox. I will "cold send" my resume and do it on occasion. I don't LIKE to cold send because I know that it has a tendency to leave a bad taste in a hiring manger's mouth to have their inbox besieged with unsolicited resumes. It's not a problem of someone not knowing how to market themselves. It's the fact that the sheer number of people applying for the same job may put the odds against you.

There was a posting on the careers section of a local hospital for a pediatric neurosurgeon. You think I should submit my resume in for that?

Do you find as you get more experience, that recruiters are more likely to seek you out? My former co-worker in his 60's had a hard time getting jobs, when applying for job ads. I asked him to post his resume. After he added his resume to a few websites, he was getting calls everyday. He would leave his desk and answer another recruiter's call. He was able to find an assignment within a few weeks. He was new to job hunting in the digital age. He thought that if you didn't apply for a job, there was no way to get the job.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
This isn't my first rodeo. I've been in the work force since 1972. I know what my skill set is. I know how to market myself. No, I do NOT wait for jobs to show up on a job board or have one appear in my email inbox. I will "cold send" my resume and do it on occasion. I don't LIKE to cold send because I know that it has a tendency to leave a bad taste in a hiring manger's mouth to have their inbox besieged with unsolicited resumes. It's not a problem of someone not knowing how to market themselves. It's the fact that the sheer number of people applying for the same job may put the odds against you.
To go back to my original post; there are many jobs out there that require a generic skill set, many people have this skill set. The resume gets the interview, the interview gets the job. There are skills sets that are subjective, like having "salesperson qualities"; and there are others that are concrete, like five years specific skills experience. Many positions call for specific skills, but those skills are generic and many people develop these skills throughout life. For example from another work department; the entry level sales job requires a degree or experience, and that experience is so vague, a woman who does bake sales for a church qualified and got selected for the position; she showed outstanding sales attributes though she never worked in a sales position.

No, many people do not know how to market themselves. Example, this admin position my company has open, it is in the legal department, and generally role is to do office duties and assist the paralegals. Now example of a skill; general office items, that could mean many things, organizing your own finances would be an applicable skill. Another skill example; investigative techniques. anyone who ever shopped for prices on the internet meet this definition, that technically is investigating and analyzing data from multiple sources, college students do this all of the time. This is examples of thinking outside the box on marketing your skills.

Quote:
There was a posting on the careers section of a local hospital for a pediatric neurosurgeon. You think I should submit my resume in for that?
A bit of a stretch? I said many jobs require generic skills. The wording of those skills is what makes it seem a specific skill set. Obviously your example would be much more advanced and outline very specific skills required for the position than a bookkeeper or a cook, and the admin position I previously described.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So provide the board with ways of finding a job before it's posted on a job board?
One second Google search even showed, took first thing ran across, see myth #2; 15 Myths and Misconceptions About Job-Hunting

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
When I was out of work I had 5 different resumes highlighting different skillsets based on the job I was applying for. Pumping out 10 per day was cake. Many days I was done by 8am

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
When I was out of work I had 5 different resumes highlighting different skillsets based on the job I was applying for. Pumping out 10 per day was cake. Many days I was done by 8am

It depends on your location and your background. Doesn't mean that would be the case for everyone

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Do you find as you get more experience, that recruiters are more likely to seek you out? My former co-worker in his 60's had a hard time getting jobs, when applying for job ads. I asked him to post his resume. After he added his resume to a few websites, he was getting calls everyday. He would leave his desk and answer another recruiter's call. He was able to find an assignment within a few weeks. He was new to job hunting in the digital age. He thought that if you didn't apply for a job, there was no way to get the job.
Not really and (IMO) for two reasons. 1 - my age. They look at me as probably retiring within 10 years, which I really have no intention of doing, but how do I get that across to an interviewer without sounding snarky? 2 - with experience comes $$$. Just like with horses that my husband trains, the more training that goes into the horse, the higher his price is. I have had interviewers tell me "we cannot afford you." I refuse to "dumb down" my resume to get it noticed, but I would at least like the opportunity to negotiate.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
In my case, I've worked in the same field for over 30 years. My skill sets are germane to the experience I've acquired over the years. It would be impossible for me to create several different resumes to send out to companies posting jobs. So, as TVandSportsGuy said, it really depends on your location and your background.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM
FBJ

Quote:
In my case, I've worked in the same field for over 30 years. My skill sets are germane to the experience I've acquired over the years. It would be impossible for me to create several different resumes to send out to companies posting jobs. So, as TVandSportsGuy said, it really depends on your location and your background.

My mom kept telling me I should apply to a insurance company because they are always hiring

I wonder why? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search