Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 AM

102 posts, read 310,975 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I started working in a major corporate office as an intern (supposed to be 3 month stint). After the 3 months, they didn't want me to leave, but couldn't offer me a full-time job. I stayed as a "part-time" employee, but working full time hours for almost TWO YEARS. I always asked and was always told that my full-time salary, benefits were coming.

The last 3 months of my employment, the company merged with another corporation and resulted in hundreds of jobs lost. I was recommended and encouraged to play for new opportunities that came in the middle of the merger shake-up and was looked over for not one, not two, but THREE separate positions (that I was ASKED to apply for!).

Since I didn't find a new position, and mine was ending, I was given the laid off pink slip. Here I am unemployed for a little over a month and I get a text from my old boss that a new position has opened, and they want me to apply (keep in mind, I've heard this story 3 times already). Should I do it????

My issue is, if you want me to come back so badly, why don't you call me and offer me the job? Why the careful wording and asking me "to apply"? Why was this position posted EXTERNALLY? I've been burned by this company and frankly, with layoffs, the morale there is now miserable. The new position doesn't interest me at all and the ONLY, ONLYYYYYYYYY reason I would even consider is for the paycheck. I honestly wouldn't even stop job-searching, I'd just use them as a bridge to tide me over for HOWEVER long it took for me to get a new job.

What do you think? Should I re-apply or pick up what's left of my pride and keep on truckin'????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,095 times
And if don't find another job that suits you ... ... ... ... ...

Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
You are unemployed. Apply for the job.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
Part time job but working full time hours for free? Sounds like a marvelous place to work.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I'd only take the job if I had no other choice. They screwed you once, they'll do it again.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,005 times
this is a no brainer. move on.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Your choice and with the attitude you have now going to apply is probably not going to work out simply because you have negative history with the company and that will be seen and felt in any interview you may have.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
If I were in your situation, I'd probably apply, but not hope for much. Keep looking for other opportunities, but keep all options open, including this one.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
What do you think? Should I re-apply or pick up what's left of my pride and keep on truckin'????
This is business, not personal, and pride has no place in it other than pride in your good work.

Go in with all cylinders firing, and stress how WELL YOU KNOW THE BUSINESS AND ITS PROCESSES, AND HOW WELL POSITIONED YOU ARE FROM THAT KNOWLEDGE TO IMPLEMENT THE FORTHCOMING PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS.

Are you kidding? People are dying to get experience. Here you have it, and you are actually thinking about not capitalizing on it.

Go get 'em, tiger!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM

102 posts, read 310,975 times
I certainly don't want to come across as a jackass, that has a possible (maybe unlikely) employment opportunity and am wondering whether I should take it, in this job market.

It just feels like a bad relationship! I know I wasn't treated right (working 40 hours EVERY week while receiving no benefits - NO health insurance for TWO YEARS), and it feels like I would be stupid to return to a place that did this.

Looks like I will have to though as I don't have any other options coming my way at the moment. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment