Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times

Advertisements

You pay correlates with your place in a hierarchical order of an organization. It's not about your work, sweat, education, training or skills. As a rule, superbly educated and uniquely skilled, hard to replace grunts will be always paid less than middle (or even lower) level managers.

Imagine a tribe of chimps, and understand that human hierarchy (and loot distribution) didn't evolve much since then. Alpha monkey get the best sprouts, then come turn of Beta monkeys enforcers serving Alpha monkey, then come turn of lesser worker monkeys. Alpha and beta monkey "strategically" vary share of the loot of worker monkeys, so they could squabble among themselves instead of scheming against upper standing monkeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,497,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You pay correlates with your place in a hierarchical order of an organization. It's not about your work, sweat, education, training or skills. As a rule, superbly educated and uniquely skilled, hard to replace grunts will be always paid less than middle (or even lower) level managers.

Imagine a tribe of chimps, and understand that human hierarchy (and loot distribution) didn't evolve much since then. Alpha monkey get the best sprouts, then come turn of Beta monkeys enforcers serving Alpha monkey, then come turn of lesser worker monkeys. Alpha and beta monkey "strategically" vary share of the loot of worker monkeys, so they could squabble among themselves instead of scheming against upper standing monkeys.
I don`t know about monkeys but I disagree. Highly skilled, hard to replace people usually get paid.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:

Yes this ties in with the surveys that state most people think they are better, smarter, and more qualified than there boss. Companies want to pigeonhole the grunts that are the best workers so that's why you will see unhappy grunts. Companies don't want to have to replace a good worker due to a promotion so they hope the grunt will just keep slaving away at whatever crap wage he is making.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I don`t know about monkeys but I disagree. Highly skilled, hard to replace people usually get paid.
Not in this country anymore bro...Gen X and Y are poor compared to the baby boomers and what they made in their hayday. This is across the board, all professions.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Examples? The fact is that managers who can manage fast food today and women hygiene product line tomorrow are generally paid more than skilled, hard to replace people. I'm not saying that managers are complete dummy etc. They are educated, but it's not education and the rest of abstract skills that got them to the trough. It's certain type of personality and people's skills + connections, connections, connections (those come with birth and/or people' skills). Here is my Hierarchy of wages.

1) Major Shareholders

2) CEOs and the rest of the brass

3) Management

4) Educated, skilled, unique, etc. Grunts

5) Grunts

6) Workers

If you know examples where group #4 makes more than group # 3, please do share. Keep in mind that group #1 does nothing at all.

Foundation of hierarchy of wages is the fact that you don't have the right to exist, no means of independent subsistence, no freedom. I guarantee that in a free of coercion society no worker, no matter how replaceable and dim, would agree to kill himself for $9/hr while watching upper guys grabbing jack pot. Only universal system of wage slavery allows obscene hierarchy of wages.

Last edited by RememberMee; 11-23-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Not in this country anymore bro...Gen X and Y are poor compared to the baby boomers and what they made in their hayday. This is across the board, all professions.
Then why do surgeons make good money. Why do Elite athletes make great money. Why do hollywood elites make millions? Why do corporate ceo`s make millions? Can you name someone who is elite in their field, hard to replace and sought after that doesn`t make much money?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Then why do surgeons make good money. Why do Elite athletes make great money. Why do hollywood elites make millions? Why do corporate ceo`s make millions? Can you name someone who is elite in their field, hard to replace and sought after that doesn`t make much money?
Yeah that's easy to find just go to Wal-Mart all the cashiers are paid the same but some are better than others. Well, that was easy. Next please.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Examples? The fact is that managers who can manage fast food today and women hygiene product line tomorrow are generally paid more than skilled, hard to replace people. I'm not saying that managers are complete dummy etc. They are educated, but it's not education and the rest of abstract skills that got them to the trough. It's certain type of personality and people's skills. Here is my Hierarchy of wages.

1) Major Shareholders

2) CEOs and the rest of the brass

3) Management

4) Educated, skilled, unique, etc. Grunts

5) Grunts

6) Workers

If you know examples where group #4 makes more than group # 3, please do share. Keep in mind that group #1 does nothing at all.
You are starting off with the wrong premise and a lot of assumptions. How did the person get to be a major shareholder? Do you think they just woke up one day and said, hey..I`ll be a shareholder and make a lot of money? lol That`s like thinking a 5-10 guy 50lbs overweight rolls off of his couch and says, hey...I`ll think I`ll be the starting center for the Lakers today and sign a 100 million dollar contract.

As has been stated here time and again, a regular grunt ( as you put it), will not make more than a ceo. A grunt can be replaced easily. If all you bring to the table is what 100 million other bring, don`t expect to be paid.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
You are starting off with the wrong premise and a lot of assumptions. How did the person get to be a major shareholder? Do you think they just woke up one day and said, hey..I`ll be a shareholder and make a lot of money? lol That`s like thinking a 5-10 guy 50lbs overweight rolls off of his couch and says, hey...I`ll think I`ll be the starting center for the Lakers today and sign a 100 million dollar contract.

As has been stated here time and again, a regular grunt ( as you put it), will not make more than a ceo. A grunt can be replaced easily. If all you bring to the table is what 100 million other bring, don`t expect to be paid.
You have a very narrow minded view of it most people aren't surgeons or athletes if you bring it down to the average Joe level it's very easy to see wages and promotions are skewed. Your theory only holds water if all grunts were the same there are multiple levels of grunts. So if all grunts are being paid the same when they are most certainly not then most companies are royally screwing at least a certain percentage of the grunts.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Yeah that's easy to find just go to Wal-Mart all the cashiers are paid the same but some are better than others. Well, that was easy. Next please.
You failed. Stay with me here and try to read and comprehend. Is a cashier easily replaced? Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment