Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,529,915 times

Advertisements

The 8 Most Overpaid & Underpaid Jobs - Salary.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM

438 posts, read 1,531,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post

Most cops make a hell of a lot more than 50k in most parts of CA. Many make well over $100k with overtime some even make over $200k. The average pension for a retiring CHP (California Highway Patrol ) is currently $96k per yer.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM

97 posts, read 265,671 times
I'd have to concur with a Private in the Army.. even the whole enlisted side of the armed forces..
When I joined the Army back in 1994, my annual salary as an Private E1 was less than $10,000 a year..

Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Most cops make a hell of a lot more than 50k in most parts of CA. Many make well over $100k with overtime some even make over $200k. The average pension for a retiring CHP (California Highway Patrol ) is currently $96k per yer.

I agree, a lot of those are assuming no overtime. I know a lineman who is 26 and lives in St. Louis (not a high cost of living area) that makes well into the 80s with overtime.

A meteorologist is more often than not salaried compared to a lineman that is hourly.

Most salaried people I know put in 50-55 hours a week. Add 10 hours a week of overtime (at time and a half) to that 58k base and you end up at 87k.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
I agree that the numbers can be misleading. If you want to know the real pay or situation at a job or profession...ask the people who actually work there. A lot of times it`s a whole different perspective. You only get half the story from various articles or the media.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
My opinion is that there are two classes of professionals. There are those that create real value and those that manipulate perceived value. Production workers, engineers, service professionals, etc. all create real value by designing/producing things, and performing valuable services. The manipulators are people like businessmen, marketers, stock traders etc. These people simply manufacture imaginary value so that the business can profit off of it.

Nearly all value creators are underpaid for their contributions and nearly all value manipulators are overpaid. That's my two cents.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM

266 posts, read 402,721 times
Pilots are on there for being overpaid... yet athletes aren't ... hmm

Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
My opinion is that there are two classes of professionals. There are those that create real value and those that manipulate perceived value. Production workers, engineers, service professionals, etc. all create real value by designing/producing things, and performing valuable services. The manipulators are people like businessmen, marketers, stock traders etc. These people simply manufacture imaginary value so that the business can profit off of it.

Nearly all value creators are underpaid for their contributions and nearly all value manipulators are overpaid. That's my two cents.
The problem is, without marketers and sales people, the so called value creators wouldn`t have anyone to sell to and so therefore, wouldn`t have a job. Somebody has to market and sell a product or noone will buy it. That is why most companies depend on the marketing sales people. Our sales team is told all the time...you have people depending on you...meaning everyone else at the company is depending on the sales department to bring in the business or noone gets paid.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The problem is, without marketers and sales people, the so called value creators wouldn`t have anyone to sell to and so therefore, wouldn`t have a job. Somebody has to market and sell a product or noone will buy it. That is why most companies depend on the marketing sales people. Our sales team is told all the time...you have people depending on you...meaning everyone else at the company is depending on the sales department to bring in the business or noone gets paid.
Yes the salesmen are pretty essential to a running business. And the creators and manipulators all depend on each other. I just think the pie is skewed too far in one direction.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
They deserve every cent of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment