Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,634,720 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm not mad at the OP and I'm not going to jump down his throat like a lot of other people. But I do also understand many other points made against the OP.

For one, I understand what he means to an extent. There's plenty of people who lose sight of the important things in life, who lose sight of the BASICS. I'm not going to bash someone who works themselves half to death to enjoy life with their money. Trust me, I'm poor and if I were to ever make lots of money to the extent where I don't have to penny pinch, where I can spend money much more freely--you better believe I'll be making it rain. I'll enjoy the "finer", "extravagant" and more "luxurious" things of life (whatever that may be).

I would have no qualms making millions of dollars and spending it on what I want. Work hard, play harder is my motto. At the same time I understand where he's getting at in that a lot of wealthy, affluent people seem to purchase material things in abundance to compensate for something missing in their life. Consciously, they probably don't know it but subconsciously they are trying to compete with the Jone's or impress, prove something to their peers, acquaintances in their life. They feel as if they MUST have the newest of "this or that" to show to everyone else the wealthy they are at and the success they have achieved. It's an insecurity, they get addicted to wanting more and more and more of tangible, material things they feel will fulfill them. When in the end, they'll probably get bored of their toy.

Its sort of like the Iphones if you think of it. Everyone ALWAYS NEEDS to get the new Iphone, so they'll camp out for days, hours for the Iphone. Do they need it that bad? We can all almost say they don't. Why do they do it? Sure, they truly want it but a little bit of it has to be for bragging rights.

Now, I totally don't agree with the OP saying who's professional is more important than the other. At the end of the day, we all need each other to function in what we do. As cheesy as it sounds. You can't have a restaurant without chefs, without waiters, without dishwashers. All the big cities of the world won't have their skyscrapers and towering buildings that represent the cities wealth without the construction workers, carpenters that sweat round the clock to erect them. We won't get our foods in the groceries without the farmers or delivery men. I can keep going but I'm sure whoever reads this gets the gist of what I am saying.

I wish I can be as "deep" and insightful but at the end of the day, its just all basics that we have to appreciate, recognize and cherish the most. BALANCE PEOPLE! BALANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,669,325 times
Weird, I must have touched a nerve. I didn't mean to single out bankers...yeah, of course they're valuable...but to me, a surgeon holds a lot of influence in certain situations...situations that I'd think would matter more to me.

For example, if my sister fell ill and needed surgery, and I had to get a loan....any banker would do...the point isn't really to get the best "banker"...it's more about getting the right amount of money (a secondary consideration perhaps, 'at what cost?') but a bankers "skills" in that situation don't really matter to me. However, the best surgeon operating on my sister...that's something that's valuable.

Also, I think being a surgeon, a good one, is harder than being a banker. So, I respect their craft more. Just think how devastated you'd be if a mistake you made led to someone else's death. I mean, just the toll of going to work everyday knowing that if you don't show up, someone else's life could very easily be lost. It's stress on a level that I couldn't imagine.

That isn't to say bankers aren't valuable. I'm really not trying to step on those type of toes here..it was just a side comment.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Let's be clear about what you said Mr. Backpeddle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
half the time it's people who do something that doesn't even matter...I mean, if the guy's a surgeon, then I can see it. But half the time it's like some banker or something...

So, yes, you basically said that bankers aren't valuable. Do you think this stuff isn't documented? It's a forum.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let's be clear about what you said Mr. Backpeddle:

So, yes, you basically said that bankers aren't valuable. Do you think this stuff isn't documented? It's a forum.
lol, sorry for having conflicting points of view at times...
i guess i just haven't learnt to always be right yet...
call it a personality flaw...

Upon further reflection, I guess the sentiment expressed stems from not valuing money as much as others seemingly do. Honestly, as long as I live a lifestyle I find comfortable, all the money in the world won't matter much. Why? Money isn't value. Money is a medium for value. A career focused on the medium of value isn't as valuable (in my mind, as of right now) as one that focuses on value itself. A career that produces value itself, in large part, isn't as purposeful (when considering my own mindset, as it is right now) as one that focuses largely on the facilitation of value.

I guess a sticking point with that is that those who facilitate the medium of value will argue that they create it as well, but personally, I tend to think of value as being finite. Like resources (which is what value is, economically), at any point in time, value is finite. Perhaps, un-utilized, but finite non the less.

But, that's just speculation. It comes down to not thinking my efforts should be used in ways that don't focus directly on value. It's inefficient, but only if my effort could be used better elsewhere. And, I'd like to think it can be...but it's hard thinking about where exactly, given my other wants...that is, family.

The question the morphs to one of career paths that are purposeful (that is, value centric) and family friendly. Perhaps, also an emphasis on relatively easy barriers of entry....I can't be in school forever...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,796,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
See my post to hsnq. The founder of Vanguard (John Bogle) himself says most people in his profession are more or less worthless. I could go on and on about this, but I won't.
Except for his people of course.

Who does he think grew Vanguard? The air?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM

30,239 posts, read 23,709,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I still haven't found an answer to this one yet...

You see grown men with a house or two, a car, a boat, a cellphone and laptop for everyone in his family....and they're still up everyday trying to get more stuff.

It's like they're never satisfied. What's worse id half the time it's people who do something that doesn't even matter...I mean, if the guy's a surgeon, then I can see it. But half the time it's like some banker or something...

And they just go on with what seems like an insatiable appetite...never pausing to think, what do I need, really? Because the answer would shock them...

They don't need anything. Most of what they need, if not all of what they need, they've had since they were children.

But, without that purpose, that illusion of purpose, it's like they get scared. And, that's the saddest form of a man I can think of...a man who not only doesn't know his purpose, but also one who is too afraid to find out and just lives the life laid out for him as if he were incapable of finding his own purpose.

Also, I need a job. Once I graduate, any suggestions as to where I should look?

Something 'purposeful' please.
Life is not about living on bare bones and just working, life is about enjoyment. If I have worked my butt off for it, I'm going to enjoy it.

You are also assuming a LOT about these people that you only see but do not know. How do you KNOW, for a fact, that they aren't doing anything, "worthwhile"? You don't know if they coach Little League to help kids build esteem and learn to become team members, (as well as get exercise and be a role model for them), you don't know if they volunteer at the soup kitchen on the weekends or after work, you don't know if they donate money to a charity or charities...you only see the surface...which, when you think about it, is quite ironic when comparing it to your displeasure at their so called, "surface things".

So someone has a house, two cars and a boat. So what. What ELSE do you know about that person? Before you accuse others of being superficial, you have to stop being superficial, yourself.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM

247 posts, read 751,030 times
I semi-agree with the original poster. People are never satisfied. They make $100k & they want $200k. Is it all really making you more happy? Instead of driving your Toyota, you're driving a Mercedes. Who cares? It's a logo on a car. It's more house you have to clean/heat/insure.
I think people are happy when they have the necessities, the ability to save money, and vacation a few times a year. Other than that, ehhh

Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Life is not about living on bare bones and just working, life is about enjoyment. If I have worked my butt off for it, I'm going to enjoy it.

You are also assuming a LOT about these people that you only see but do not know. How do you KNOW, for a fact, that they aren't doing anything, "worthwhile"? You don't know if they coach Little League to help kids build esteem and learn to become team members, (as well as get exercise and be a role model for them), you don't know if they volunteer at the soup kitchen on the weekends or after work, you don't know if they donate money to a charity or charities...you only see the surface...which, when you think about it, is quite ironic when comparing it to your displeasure at their so called, "surface things".

So someone has a house, two cars and a boat. So what. What ELSE do you know about that person? Before you accuse others of being superficial, you have to stop being superficial, yourself.
Since honesty is my newest policy, I'll just respond with a "I don't understand", trusting that you'd know that the onus is on you to make yourself understandable.

As it stands, your point doesn't hold up, as I'm not referring to 'what else' the people I'm talking about do, I'm talking about those people who do 'what' it was I was referring to.

Those 'what else people' that you think I'm bagging on, I'm actually indirectly commending. The 'what else' people who realize the 'else', particularly in the contexts you provided, is more important than the 'what' weren't my intended target.

So, I think you didn't understand my post.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,116,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I semi-agree with the original poster. People are never satisfied. They make $100k & they want $200k. Is it all really making you more happy? Instead of driving your Toyota, you're driving a Mercedes. Who cares? It's a logo on a car. It's more house you have to clean/heat/insure.
I think people are happy when they have the necessities, the ability to save money, and vacation a few times a year. Other than that, ehhh
I've driven both. I prefer the Mercedes. I generally find the vast majority of people who hold your "ehhh" opinion have only ever been on one side of the equation.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
You honestly think that the difference between a Mercedes and a Toyota is a logo? Tell me where I can get a Mercedes with solar panels that can get close to 60MPGs. And then tell me where I can get a Toyota 400HP, lithium battery-powered hybrid? They don't make even close to the same product.

Money is like water, it's unlimited in supply. A bigger home is just as easy to clean as a smaller home. You're still writing the same amount of checks to the cleaning lady.

I think the premise for this thread is that money is somehow a limited resource and people give it high value. The reality is that it's an unlimited resource that keeps recycling itself... just like water. We mustn't worry about it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment