Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

Next time, just say "I appreciate you giving us some time off, but I would like to tie up my projects before the holiday". Everyone always thinks the managers are 'coasting by'. Until you are in their shoes, don't judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Options:

1. Have some balls and tell them no thanks you have too much work to do.
2. Start a thread about it and hope everyone at your company reads it and figures things out.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Is it policy for a manager to lock up? If so then that explains it.

Last time our department was sent home early for the holidays was in the earlier-90's, but it was a manager's decision and he was responsible for locking up. That meant everybody leaving.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I know for sure this will get me scolded by the authoritarians and just about anyone who is not as grumpy as I am.

But the day before any major Holiday, we are told by a manager that we can leave early or, in the past, the HR mgr has dismissed us all early.

So today, we had the typical skeleton crew working. Of course, as usual, I am buried under work and have ten or more hot priorities in the "to do" pile. About an hour before my quitting time, manager on duty goes around telling us we can leave early if we want to.

I don't want to leave early. I am going to be off for four days (2 corp holidays and the weekend) and I have a ton of work to return to, and something comes up at the last minute that requires research. Leaving early before a holiday is never a nice little bonus for me. My manager doesn't know how hard I work and doesn't know how crushing my workload is. I think mostly all the managers in my area are coasting..they don't even comprehend how much work I and some other "production people" have.

So I am prepared to get out, (since I know that this suggestion to leave is more like a command), and I am lagging behind trying to organize things by priority for next week. The "MOD" (manager on duty) comes up behind me and asks if I am leaving. I say, sure, I'm out of here very soon. But I secretly resent being shooed out. I am thinking to myself...I have to face this workload next week, not you..what do you think I am trying to do? be a hero?...You told me I could leave early if I wanted to, so let me be a professional and manage my workload in the way I need to.
you should have told them 'NO' you had to much to do...
Koale

Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I was the second-to-last person to leave the office today (at 4pm) and was on a teleconference for an hour and a half this evening to boot. So, you're not the only one.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh please, not even the same thing. God forbid someone might actually have a work ethic...seems some people these days can't understand what that means.

OP, you should have just told them, "No, I'm not leaving early. Since it's an option, I opt to stay."

Hope you're able to relax on your days off...you know what they say, "leave your work at work".
Thanks,
You spared me from having to respond.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
To the OP - you say you're lagging behind in trying to prioritize work for next week. So that tells me, that you -do- prepare for one week, the week before.

That begs the question:

Why, if you KNOW you're going to need to opt to leave early today, did you wait til today to do all of next week's prep? If you had started it on Monday, you probably wouldn't need to scramble today, wouldn't feel so pressured, and would only have a little catch-up to do.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Glad someone else also has a good work ethic. Used to happen at my place all the time. Plus you had those who worked 9-5 instead of 8-4 and were always late, scoot out the door as soon as someone said we could leave early - sorry but that bugged me.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
I understand needing to stay to finish up work that needs to be done so you can better enjoy your time off, but just because someone else chooses to leave early when given the option does not mean they have no work ethic. Those people may have worked very hard to finish up so they could take the option to leave early because they have holiday prep work to do, and need that time at home. People often make incorrect assumptions, and then become unfairly judgmental of others based on these assumptions.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Options:

1. Have some balls and tell them no thanks you have too much work to do.
2. Start a thread about it and hope everyone at your company reads it and figures things out.
Looking at a lot of threads on here, obviously the only choice is option 2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment