Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,341,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinley View Post
So I advise you of 2 steps:

1. come up with something you've been doing since high school, even if it's just selling stuff randomly or cleaning someone's house.
2. apply for jobs like dishwasher and shelf stocker, even if they say experience is required.

Going to work for a housecleaning service is a great idea. It may not pay much but it's honest work and something that you can eventually do on your own. You'll have to be bonded/insured so be sure you dont have a record -- and also that you have a good driving history.

Google "housecleaning companies" in your city and apply to every one. And be sure to clean yourself up -- look and act professionally, regardless of the job for which you're applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM

126 posts, read 427,984 times
I don't know how big or small there area is that you live, but here in Chicago there are lots of programs that help train people with little or no job skills for employment. You might want to do a search for something like that in your area. Try looking at non-profit organizations. Some other people have suggested making a job for yourself, to which I second. With winter coming up there's opportunities like shoveling snow to try. Not the most glamourous of jobs, but it's something.

Believe it or not, the most important thing for you to concentrate on right now is not making money, but getting job experiences and references. This is where volunteering really comes in, and with the holiday's here, there's plenty of opportunities to volunteer in soup kitchens or passing out food to the needy. Again, probably not something you want to do, but right now you just need something to put on your resume.

And finally, have you tried day laboring services? My experience with them years ago was that you pretty much just showed up with an interest to work. No resumes were needed. Now I don't know if that's the same today, but it's worth looking into. You can usually find day laboring businesses in your local phonebook.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,490,785 times
One of my tenants decided she wanted to check out California.

She is Colorado born and raised.

Right after High School... she packed her belongings into her car and headed West... she knew the older sister of a friend.

Within two days, at age 19 she was waiting tables... that was a year ago and now she has two restaurant jobs and makes good money and has her mornings free to explore the Bay Area.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM

29,691 posts, read 24,748,209 times
Like others, I'm thinking the military would do a world of good. You'd get the focus, drive, experience and ambition you need to really turn things around for yourself.

Cleaning is another gig that might be worth considering, like others have also said. Anyone who runs a busy business needs people to clean up. Many have people who come in through the nights and handle that task as well. Maybe you could get on a night crew to learn the ropes, or find a friend who might be interested in working with you.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,409,070 times
Ya know...how many people have you seen begging for $$$ on the side of the road with a sign that says "Will work for food"...but when you offer them "employment" they look at you like you are stark raving mad???? I always roll down my window and say "ya know, I have a ton of weeds in the back yard that need pulling"...and every single person that has said "I am willing to do that" I have given a $20 bill....all ONE of them!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,475,388 times
24 years old and never had a job before in my life.

How does that happen? Like another person asked, what have you been doing all this time?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
24 years old and never had a job before in my life.

How does that happen? Like another person asked, what have you been doing all this time?
I don't think it is as unusual as it seems.

I have run into it a lot when I managed subsidized housing... it was generational

Also, I work with people that treat their adult children like kids...

Heck.. I think you can still be on your parents Health Insurance at the poster's age.

One of my best experiences was a road trip I made with some high school buddies at age 16... we drove all the way to British Columbia from the Bay Area...

I don't know any 16 year olds that could or would be allowed to do this today... not even legal in my State for a 16 year to have other 16 year olds in their car unless family...

Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM

300 posts, read 658,162 times
I don't think it matters whether it's unusual or not. The OP needs to be able to explain what he/she has done since high school. This is because when you apply for a job, you need a resume! You need to show what the heck you're doing with yourself and how it's relevant to the job you're applying for. You need to show that you have the motivation and the ability to hold a job. The OP can't show any of that, and that's the problem. You can't put "parents took care of me" on a job application, so we are trying to get the OP to list some things that he/she has done that may be usable for a job application.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinley View Post
I don't think it matters whether it's unusual or not. The OP needs to be able to explain what he/she has done since high school. This is because when you apply for a job, you need a resume! You need to show what the heck you're doing with yourself and how it's relevant to the job you're applying for. You need to show that you have the motivation and the ability to hold a job. The OP can't show any of that, and that's the problem. You can't put "parents took care of me" on a job application, so we are trying to get the OP to list some things that he/she has done that may be usable for a job application.
I don't think it is even as complicated as that...

A very good friend has a trucking company... both local and long haul.

He pays well and expanding.

His biggest problem... is finding drivers, even the local drivers that are not subject to DOT, with a clean driving record. The combination of drug testing and clean driving record means over 95% of the applicants are not hireable.

He simply can't insure them... and he has had to fire some of his best guys because of their driving record.

He would most likely be willing to hire the Poster with no job history if he had a clean driving and drug record.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 PM

300 posts, read 658,162 times
Well, OP can be a truck driver then. Give him your friend's number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment