Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
These days, I think 'currently unemployed' doesn't mean as much (negative) as it maybe used to. I wonder if s/he may have wanted more hours or different availability than was available. Or, it may have been presentation.... Myself, I think, generally, students are excellent service industry employees. Maybe there was only one opening. It's hard to say - and I just would, maybe compare notes with friend to try to identify the difference, but really just keep moving forward.
Hiya, yes they compared notes. The friend only was available on the weekends and Friday nights. She on the other hand had all the time in the world as she just came from Denmark and needed this job. The only thing we came up with was that the manager thought unemployed people are bad workers or he doesn't know what a Denmark is ...
BTW there were more people waiting to be interviewed too for the hostess job, meaning that another or more positions were available as the manager interviewed another person after the friend got hired...
So there was not only one position!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Having a job isn't a guarantee that you will be preferred when interviewing for a new job. That may have been the "rule" 7, 8 or so years ago, but not anymore.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Which one was better looking?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Can some of you explain what "productive" means to you?

I was out of a job for about two to three months until I was employed with a part time job, from then I was able to get my full time job now. Before any of that happened I was applying to jobs DAILY sending DOZENS of applications in.

Volunteering requires travel, which means gas, and therefore money. Personally I'd rather do that job hunting. At least I feel I might be lucky and come back successful. IMO.

Productive means exploring opportunities by researching and evaluating employers that matches your background. Most employers will not ask you what have you been doing since your last job and if they do it's up to you whether or not you want to end the interview. So if it turns into a interrogation session instead of a discussion about your skills or background then I say end the interview.

I went on 7 interviews in the past 9 weeks and I was not asked once what have I been doing since 2011.

Also applying ti jobs DAILY is the definition of productive.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Productive means exploring opportunities by researching and evaluating employers that matches your background. Most employers will not ask you what have you been doing since your last job and if they do it's up to you whether or not you want to end the interview. So if it turns into a interrogation session instead of a discussion about your skills or background then I say end the interview.

I went on 7 interviews in the past 9 weeks and I was not asked once what have I been doing since 2011.

Also applying ti jobs DAILY is the definition of productive.
lucky you that you have not been asked what have you been doing since your last job

Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
lucky you that you have not been asked what have you been doing since your last job

If someone ever asked me that I would end the interview immediately

Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If someone ever asked me that I would end the interview immediately
yeah i think once they ask that question, that means they already decided to not hire you, they already have rejection in mind

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Default Need some help?

Hey guys,

I was curious to everyone's opinion about my current situation. I applied for a position the monday before thanksgiving and received a call back from them that following wednesday. We then scheduled an interview for the monday after thanksgiving. I attended the interview and felt it went very well. The next evening I got a email from the a lady in HR scheduling two more interviews. (phone) 10 minutes later the plant manager who i interviewed with the night before called saying i would be getting an email from the HR lady and explained I would be talking to the director of engineers and regional manager. He told me to be myself and I would do fine. That Thursday I had a phone interview with the director of engineering and it went very well. He told me I would talk to the regional manager then they would give feedback to hr then hr would be in touch. I talked to the regional manager the next day and it went ok. He asked about salary requirements etc... The next day (friday) the hr rep called me asking for references and said she would check them Monday. Today the hr rep contacted my references. Should I expect a job offer soon? Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphistigers View Post
Hey guys,

I was curious to everyone's opinion about my current situation. I applied for a position the monday before thanksgiving and received a call back from them that following wednesday. We then scheduled an interview for the monday after thanksgiving. I attended the interview and felt it went very well. The next evening I got a email from the a lady in HR scheduling two more interviews. (phone) 10 minutes later the plant manager who i interviewed with the night before called saying i would be getting an email from the HR lady and explained I would be talking to the director of engineers and regional manager. He told me to be myself and I would do fine. That Thursday I had a phone interview with the director of engineering and it went very well. He told me I would talk to the regional manager then they would give feedback to hr then hr would be in touch. I talked to the regional manager the next day and it went ok. He asked about salary requirements etc... The next day (friday) the hr rep called me asking for references and said she would check them Monday. Today the hr rep contacted my references. Should I expect a job offer soon? Thoughts? Thanks!

You should if the references came back positive. I just went through the same thing and my references came back excellent and was offered the job and now waiting for the offer letter to be put together before christmas

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM

and i assume this was for a retail job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment