Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM

370 posts, read 652,613 times

Advertisements

So I know this young woman, probably late 20s who went abroad to study and internship for a year. She just came a month ago. She came back to her city in the U.S. and needed desperately a job as she came back pretty broke. She plans on pursuing graduate school and just find work, any work. One day she and her friend were driving around and saw a for hire sign at a chain restaraunt and went in and filled out an applications for hostess position. (They both needed jobs. Her friend already had a part-time as a receptionist but needed another to make more money). They got interviewed on the spot after filling out the application. The manager sat her down and asked her if she has a job, she said 'no'. He then said 'you don't have a job?'. He said it in a shocked and surprised tone. That bugged her! She then told him that she just came from abroad. The interview was done in less then five minutes. Then he finished it off by saying he will contact her soon. Her friend was next and she got hired on the spot. Both were surprised. Both of these women have experience in restaraunt as hostesses. Do managers want people who already have jobs??? Or was the manager just rude?? Any advice? Are managers suspicious of the fact she is unemployed? She has amazing references but hasn't worked in retail/hospitality in a few years. Could that be the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,370,136 times
The latest piece of profound and rigorous scientific logic to come out of the esteemed HR profession is that anyone who is unemployed is so because they are terrible workers or have other issues.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,276 posts, read 80,518,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The latest piece of profound and rigorous scientific logic to come out of the esteemed HR profession is that anyone who is unemployed is so because they are terrible workers or have other issues.
Which may actually be true in some cases, but more often, it's because so many people interview for these low-wage jobs just to satisfy their unemployment benefit requirements. Employers have become suspicious and if a person already has a job they are more likely to be serious about working.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,296,325 times
I see no reason to NOT hire someone without a job. Given they have the skillset I need. And need a thorough review of why this person was unemployed.

I am totally perplexed by this stigma against unemployed people. If they got laid off because of no fault of their own, I see no reason to hold that against the person.

What pisses me off are these companies who hire these ******** CEO's who have nothing but failure after failure on their resume, yet still end up with lucrative jobs.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

So you guys think that the fact that she just came from abroad (Denmark specifically) they may think she is trying to save up money to go back???

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,296,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
So you guys think that the fact that she just came from abroad (Denmark specifically) they may think she is trying to save up money to go back???
Probably should never have come here in the first place

Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
She had to. Her internship was up and school was finished. She is applying for masters next year but in the mean time needs a job.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,534,324 times
The manager was ignorant, stupid and boorish. Of course people who don't have jobs get jobs and it's ridiculous to assert otherwise or make digs at employers or HR people on the subject.

Most of the people I hired over the years didn't have jobs at the time they were applying. However, if they'd been unemployed for many months then of course I wanted to know why and what they'd been doing. There are perfectly reasonable excuses for being out of work which make perfect sense and are perfectly acceptable. What I was and would be very sceptical about is someone who's been collecting unemployment for months and months on end and can't tell me one thing he or she has been doing during that time other than, "um, well, applying for jobs". If you've been putting in time volunteering at the animal shelter, the children's home or the home for the aged or the soup kitchen; if you've been mentoring a child, taking online educational courses or, in fact, doing ANYTHING productive, I won't hold it against you. But if all you've been doing is sitting on your fat arse I'm not interested in you.

The manager in this case was an idiot. Your friend shouldn't take this as any indication that for any reason she's not employable. He probably doesn't even know where Denmark is ...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I see no reason to NOT hire someone without a job. Given they have the skillset I need. And need a thorough review of why this person was unemployed.

I am totally perplexed by this stigma against unemployed people. If they got laid off because of no fault of their own, I see no reason to hold that against the person.

What pisses me off are these companies who hire these ******** CEO's who have nothing but failure after failure on their resume, yet still end up with lucrative jobs.
I am too, to be honest. I mean in the economy I know loads of people out of job! I don't look at these people as if they are terrible employees or lazy! I believe this manager who interviewed her is a moron! I feel so terrible for this girl. She has a few thousand in student loans which is not bad in comparison to others, which she needs some income to pay them off monthly. And she has to apply for minimum wage jobs though is applying for jobs in her field too of course!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,534,324 times
Quote:
I suppose you meant she shouldn't have come to the USA because you assumed she was a foreign immigrant. Try reading the first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment