U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 AM

201 posts, read 405,705 times

Advertisements

I come in contact with many people who have been unemployed for a very long time and MOST OF THEM are physically unattractive. MOST of the people I know who are very physically attractive are working and MOST of these beauties are doing quite well in their careers.

I bet if you took a survey of the people who are in the top 5% of physical attractiveness in America, very few of them are going to be unemployed. What do you think? Is there a link between physical attractiveness and long term unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
I would think that's true.
However,the opposite can be true too. Most beautiful women would have man taking care of them,while the unattractive people won't.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 AM

753 posts, read 2,133,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
I come in contact with many people who have been unemployed for a very long time and MOST OF THEM are physically unattractive. MOST of the people I know who are very physically attractive are working and MOST of these beauties are doing quite well in their careers.

I bet if you took a survey of the people who are in the top 5% of physical attractiveness in America, very few of them are going to be unemployed. What do you think? Is there a link between physical attractiveness and long term unemployment?
I think that's true to a point. I would love to believe that I got my jobs based on my experience and education and not on my looks (which are not supermodel beautiful, but they're OK). But on the other side of that coin, I do believe that good looks play a very important part in how a potential employer remembers you. However, good looks (IMHO) doesn't just mean physical attractiveness. I had a group interview last week and I was the ONLY one in the group of four who was actually dressed professionally and appropriately for the position. So, I'm hoping this will help me be remembered, along with my resume, in their minds.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 AM

2,138 posts, read 4,621,324 times
Well duh! People who take care of themselves and stay fit are going to be way more motivated and have way more to offer an employer than some fat slob who has to take thyroid medication and insulin because they can't stop eating.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM

10,328 posts, read 12,421,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Well duh! People who take care of themselves and stay fit are going to be way more motivated and have way more to offer an employer than some fat slob who has to take thyroid medication and insulin because they can't stop eating.
It's true, But many details in relation to appearance are important as well. An "average" looking person (I am not fond of these labels though) That has shined shoes, Pressed clothing and just looks like they really pay attention to detail gets an advantage also. Also learning a proper handshake especially for men is important also, An often overlooked detail.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 AM

3,119 posts, read 4,066,919 times
Attractive people are more likely to be hired. Attractiveness is also somewhat related to motivation. Most overweight people I know just don't have much motivation for life and are lazy. My laziest friend I know is overweight and has no motivation for life. The same with my laziest family member. The motivated person will eat right and go to the gym if necessary.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM

380 posts, read 972,321 times
So, is this a fat bashing thread because it's starting to sound like it. I don't think weight is the end all be all when it comes to attractiveness. I have always struggled with weight and have not had problems getting professional sales jobs. These jobs require you to look professional and interact with business owners all day so being attractive is important. I believe that attractiveness in regards to a job is based more on how you present yourself than how much you weigh. You can be thin, unhealthy, and unmotivated. Weight is not an indication of competency, motivation, or ambition.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 AM

3,119 posts, read 4,066,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
So, is this a fat bashing thread because it's starting to sound like it. I don't think weight is the end all be all when it comes to attractiveness. I have always struggled with weight and have not had problems getting professional sales jobs. These jobs require you to look professional and interact with business owners all day so being attractive is important. I believe that attractiveness in regards to a job is based more on how you present yourself than how much you weigh. You can be thin, unhealthy, and unmotivated. Weight is not an indication of competency, motivation, or ambition.
Its a combination of both. I just haven't met many people in an office environment who had a decent job and who were overweight. I do actually know one girl who is overweight, who has a decent sales job. She is good at covering it up though and has a pretty face. It just seems like anytime you go into a good office everyone is really attractive. I see more stunning women in an office than I do at the bars.

One thing I've learned since leaving High School is that High School politics never really ends. People in the real world act the exact same way.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM

201 posts, read 405,705 times
I am not talking about weight or if you are neat or clean or have a good handshake. Instead, I am talking about the lack of really beautiful people who are long term unemployed.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,493,417 times
I don't know anyone strikingly beautiful here. But I'd say the regular attractive people do have jobs, usually because of nepotism of being hired by there hot relatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment