Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

I recently started working with a Fortune 500 organization through a staffing agency. I was extremely happy I got the position because I have been trying to find a job in NYC for the longest since I relocated from New Orleans, and now was my chance.

The staffing agency is located in the building where I work and I became really good friends with one of the recruiters. We'd go to lunch, out to dinners, etc., etc. (A group of people - two who worked for the staffing agency).

Well, the company where I temp is very hard to get into if you do not know someone -basically a lot of nepotism going on.

I guess I'd consider the recruiter a friend since I have been working for the staffing agency for more than several months.

She recently told me some information, confiding in me - I wasn't the first choice for the job and the person who was got the flu, so they gave me a chance.

The other recruiter was disappointed I got the job over her cousin (who was sick with the flu) and make such comments as, "she doesn't even have experience", "why did they choose her?".

She was actually upset that I was picked.

I currently work in Finance.

So, my question is: how is one to get experience if they aren't given the opportunity? It's almost like you are expected to know what to do straight out of college even if you have no real world experience.

I graduated a couple of years after Katrina - so internship ops at my small liberal arts school were limited.

Not using an excuse, but what is one to do to gain experience and be more employable? And my other question. The one I bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I recently started working with a Fortune 500 organization through a staffing agency. I was extremely happy I got the position because I have been trying to find a job in NYC for the longest since I relocated from New Orleans, and now was my chance.

The staffing agency is located in the building where I work and I became really good friends with one of the recruiters. We'd go to lunch, out to dinners, etc., etc. (A group of people - two who worked for the staffing agency).

Well, the company where I temp is very hard to get into if you do not know someone -basically a lot of nepotism going on.

I guess I'd consider the recruiter a friend since I have been working for the staffing agency for more than several months.

She recently told me some information, confiding in me - I wasn't the first choice for the job and the person who was got the flu, so they gave me a chance.

The other recruiter was disappointed I got the job over her cousin (who was sick with the flu) and make such comments as, "she doesn't even have experience", "why did they choose her?".

She was actually upset that I was picked.

I currently work in Finance.

So, my question is: how is one to get experience if they aren't given the opportunity? It's almost like you are expected to know what to do straight out of college even if you have no real world experience.

I graduated a couple of years after Katrina - so internship ops at my small liberal arts school were limited.

Not using an excuse, but what is one to do to gain experience and be more employable? And my other question. The one I bolded.
it can be jarring to realize you were not the first choice, We all want to be #1. But look at it this way-You still had something in your life in regards to experience or a quality that you brought to the interview or you would not be there. With this, Now you are getting experience. Consider it a first step, The first road along your career. All good.

As for your bolded question, Employers esp today in regards to the past year have the advantage with so many out of work, underemployed or employed but looking. The key is using something, either an academic or personal interest that may cultivate skills that can be used toward the job you are seeking by starting somewhere. it's the getting the foot in the door either this way or also knowing someone in the company directly or by a reference.

I remember starting at barley age 19, being on my own, having to pay rent and grow up overnight. had no real job experience. Started in a deli, worked 2 jobs, wound up in retail and then some years the hotel business. had 2 long term jobs since 98. Now I unfortunately did not wind up with 6 figure income (not enough college) or owning my own company (yet, hopefully) but managed to increase my income nonetheless and am OK today.

Hope it gives you some insight or ideas. You sound like you are on the right track already!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Inexperience doesn't make you unemployable, it makes you less desirable compared to someone with experience. You haven't proven yourself at all. The only thing you have is a degree.

Unless you're in a high demand field, first jobs suck. Its sucks its starting off as hostile for you, but take it for what it is: paid experience. Work there for 12-18 months and move on. Start sending your resume out after the 6th month.

My first job sucked. I did such basic, basic work. Made a little bit more than my truck driving job I had in college. But it gave me the experience I need to get to my next job. For that alone, it was worth it. Then with two jobs under my belt, a broad skillset, and general professional experience, I made a big jump in salary from there.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
it can be jarring to realize you were not the first choice, We all want to be #1. But look at it this way-You still had something in your life in regards to experience or a quality that you brought to the interview or you would not be there. With this, Now you are getting experience. Consider it a first step, The first road along your career. All good.

As for your bolded question, Employers esp today in regards to the past year have the advantage with so many out of work, underemployed or employed but looking. The key is using something, either an academic or personal interest that may cultivate skills that can be used toward the job you are seeking by starting somewhere. it's the getting the foot in the door either this way or also knowing someone in the company directly or by a reference.

I remember starting at barley age 19, being on my own, having to pay rent and grow up overnight. had no real job experience. Started in a deli, worked 2 jobs, wound up in retail and then some years the hotel business. had 2 long term jobs since 98. Now I unfortunately did not wind up with 6 figure income (not enough college) or owning my own company (yet, hopefully) but managed to increase my income nonetheless and am OK today.

Hope it gives you some insight or ideas. You sound like you are on the right track already!
This is very sound advice, as usual! I like how you are a glass full kind of thinker.

Unfortunately, I've got to spread my reps around first...since I can't rep you enough.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Inexperience doesn't make you unemployable, it makes you less desirable compared to someone with experience. You haven't proven yourself at all. The only thing you have is a degree.

Unless you're in a high demand field, first jobs suck. Its sucks its starting off as hostile for you, but take it for what it is: paid experience. Work there for 12-18 months and move on. Start sending your resume out after the 6th month.

My first job sucked. I did such basic, basic work. Made a little bit more than my truck driving job I had in college. But it gave me the experience I need to get to my next job. For that alone, it was worth it. Then with two jobs under my belt, a broad skillset, and general professional experience, I made a big jump in salary from there.
What qualifies as a high demand field? Something that you have to be trained in and excel at? Like engineering or developing? Or computers period?

Yes, this job is the pits. I do all of the work that no one else wants to do. I really, really, really want to start doing forecasting and analytics. Not data entry..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM

266 posts, read 402,634 times
Yeah, that's the typical question. The never-ending cycle of "can't get a job because I have no experience because I can't get a job..." As cliche as this phrase is becoming, IN THESE TIMES, companies can afford to be extremely picky and snobbish about their required qualifications. And they can usually get all of them. This is because for each job posting there are hundreds and hundreds of applicants. There is no such thing as on-the-job training anymore. It's a sad thing, and it is a waste/delay of many people's potential. It's funny how we can get hired as RNs right out of nursing school (and with required licensing of course), but ohh say a person with an education degree often has to start out as a TSS or daycare worker. I really feel for this topic, because it's not fair that young people are expected to spend at least 4 years of their lives working for a degree AND working somewhere pertinent in the meantime, OR put off their careers another year or two after college to work some menial job to "obtain experience." Employers need to have more trust in our college graduates.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Depending on the job, there are different ways you can try. Starting with volunteering at different organizations, helping with a family business, etc. In general it is tough.
There are several reasons. Both employees and employers contributed to the current situation:
1) Employers weed out applicants. They get thousands of application which they cannot manage and that's an easy way to "thin the herd". Many totally unsuited applicants send thousands of inappropriate applications, making life harder for everyone.
2) More importantly, employers don't want to invest in training of new employees (in the past, it was a part of any job). Training takes time (yours and the person who coaches/manages you) and money.
3) Many new employees (especially young people) are unreliable. A friend who owns a small business told me once she trained 4 people (each over a period of several months) and they left at the very moment they were offered $1 more at another place. Now she is looking for experienced people and is ready to pay more.

Last edited by oberon_1; 11-26-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
My question is: how is one to get experience if they aren't given the opportunity? It's almost like you are expected to know what to do straight out of college even if you have no real world experience.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what many employers want, and now, with so many people out of work, they can basically pick and choose. Training people takes time and costs money. Employers don't want to spend time and money training people, and with today's high employment, they don't have to. It is a HUGE problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Yeah, that's the typical question. The never-ending cycle of "can't get a job because I have no experience because I can't get a job..." As cliche as this phrase is becoming, IN THESE TIMES, companies can afford to be extremely picky and snobbish about their required qualifications. And they can usually get all of them. This is because for each job posting there are hundreds and hundreds of applicants. There is no such thing as on-the-job training anymore. It's a sad thing, and it is a waste/delay of many people's potential. It's funny how we can get hired as RNs right out of nursing school (and with required licensing of course), but ohh say a person with an education degree often has to start out as a TSS or daycare worker. I really feel for this topic, because it's not fair that young people are expected to spend at least 4 years of their lives working for a degree AND working somewhere pertinent in the meantime, OR put off their careers another year or two after college to work some menial job to "obtain experience." Employers need to have more trust in our college graduates.
and if a person is over age 20, has little or no job experience, they will extremely struggle to even get hired for an entry-level, minimum-wage job in retail, fast-food, restaurant, customer-service, entry-level nowadays means entry-level pay, not entry-level experience, the most common reason people say the reason why employers are reluctant to hire inexperienced people, is because training costs time and money, but yet someone who i want to high school with, who claims she is a recruiter, hiring-manager for her company, she said "it's not because hiring-managers, recruiters are lazy to train inexperienced people, it's just that job experience shows a hiring-manager, job-recruiter that you have held a job in good standings"

is that a better reason as to why employers deem the inexperienced unemployable?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:

So, my question is: how is one to get experience if they aren't given the opportunity?
If you aren't given the opportunity then you need to make an opportunity.

100% of the people who are now working had 0% experience at one time.

Many of us started working "beer money" jobs in college. It's a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment