Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM

65 posts, read 253,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Toll booth workers wear uniforms issued by their employer who is either a private company or the state, federal, or local government. The uniform varies depending on the season and the weather. Wearing rubber gloves reduces the amount of grubby germy money they touch and using ear plugs cuts down on the constant sounds of car engines. Some toll booth workers also wear facemasks to filter out exhaust fumes from idling cars.
Toll Booth Attendant Jobs - Booth Worker Responsibilities, Pay

Quote:
My Dad was a toll collector for a brief period during the '70's recession (despite having a degree in chemical engineering). He said it was the worst job he'd ever had-- worse than the stint involving roofing tar. It's broiling in the summer, freezing in the winter, surprisingly filthy, full of *******s and mind-numbingly boring. It's 8 hours alone in a box on a highway, where you get to play chicken with cars every time you want to ****. The money was good, but he jumped at the first job he could get to get away from it. I got the impression it's kind of like garbage collection-- it's an unpleasant job with no other redeeming qualities, paying people well is the only way to keep it staffed, assuming you don't want call-center turn over. (And because it involves money, you can't go to the other solution for "staffing jobs that suck", illegal immigrants)
(From another forum)

Quote:
Look for job opportunities at toll booths in your area by checking with the agency that oversees the tolls. In New York, it is the Port Authority, in Ohio it is the Transportation Authority, and each state has its own governing agency.
How to Work at a Toll Booth: 11 steps - wikiHow

I don't live in New York nor Ohio, how do I find the place where I can call and ask about applying for the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
In Ohio they average around 19 bucks an hour last time I checked. Ohio Turnpike Commission - Job Openings When they hire they will post it here. My buddy's mom did this for a while. Lots of down time to read books, do crossword puzzles, that kinda thing.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 AM

65 posts, read 253,333 times
How often do they hire? Do you need to know someone?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
For all of the people dreaming of a cushy toll booth job, do know that these jobs are disappearing. Many states have switched to electronic and/or photo tolls. PA just announced that other day that they are the next to switch. Toll booth worker will soon go the way of the gas station attendant and elevator conductor.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
For all of the people dreaming of a cushy toll booth job, do know that these jobs are disappearing. Many states have switched to electronic and/or photo tolls. PA just announced that other day that they are the next to switch. Toll booth worker will soon go the way of the gas station attendant and elevator conductor.
Yes, this is true. We have two bridges and one tolled freeway in the area, and all are now on electronic/photo systems, with a tunnel and probably another bridge to come. No more toll booth
workers.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingTime View Post

(From another forum)

I don't live in New York nor Ohio, how do I find the place where I can call and ask about applying for the job?
Lol. Why on Earth would you specifically want to be a toll booth worker? You couldn't pay me enough to sit in that thing 8 hours a day.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I think "toll booth worker" is on the list of Top Ten Jobs to Disappear by 2015.

New highways don't have them and use license plate readers to send a bill if you don't have a electronic payment device, and existing highways are phasing them out.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingTime View Post

(From another forum)

Go to the website(s) of the authorities in your area that run highway/bridges/tunnels.

And your information posted above is wrong--in NY it is not just the Port Authority, which is a BI-STATE agency--they own the bridges and tunnels connected NYC with NJ only. The MTA and the NYS Thruway authority also have bridges and tunnels and their own toll collectors.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Exactly. AET (All-Electronic Tolling) will be everywhere within the next few years.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Fill out an application and hope for the best. It also helps if you are dumb, a minority, and/or a veteran. Those three (unrelated) categories of people are the first in line for government jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment