Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
my biggest gripe is when recruiter call me on my cell phone. I specifically list on my Monster resume, Careerbuilder resume, and in my cover letters to not call my cell phone, but they ignore this! And so it hurt me many times when I turned on my cell phone to discover many job calls left unanswered and they got old.

I hate it when many companies and recruiter think a cell phone is the best way to contact you. How about you? - What's your preferred method of phone contact for jobs?
Well, if those companies refuse to follow your request to not call your cell phone than I would not think that those employers are worthy of having you as part of their staff. What are they thinking that they can't follow a simple request like that. I would not consider any of these employers as viable sources of employment and income as they clearly do not have your best interest at heart. Imagine what they must be thinking when they have read your resume and it clearly states to not call your cell phone and they do it anyway because they want to annoy you by offering you a chance to come down and interview for a job. If i were you i would run from potential employers that would stoop so low as to make a call on your cell phone.

I see that you have been out of work for what is it, 4 years now. What ever strategy you are using to keep people from contacting you must be working. Lucky you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Then why even list your cell number. And, if it were me, and I had resumes out there, I'd be checking my cell couple times daily for calls.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/27022284-post27.html

Quote:
I can't relocate far away permanently, I have a problem with a Chicago house loaded with lots of possessions, like my $37,000 bike collection plus maybe $45,000 in womens clothes.

When my mom is home I can try for a temp 6 month nationwide contract job. Otherwise I have to try to get a relative to move in the house with us.

When we're gone from the house occasionally someone has to clear the drainage from the front and back of the house or the basement would get flooded from a strong rain. I bought a home security system that has web monitoring but it hard to install with it's wired video cables. And then I have to get mail redirected to pay bills when I'm gone.

Chicago is a manufacturing mecca and it makes me wonder why I can't get a good job here.

Jobs that some college grads are doing now.

Quote:
I can't sell my 26 bikes at a loss or my $45,000 in womens clothes. I can't move that stuff around when I take a 6 month temp job in another state. I can't sell the house because the title is in my Parnet's name and we get a BIG property tax discount for being a long term resident, so it's way cheaper paying the yearly property tax on my 3 story house than even renting a 1 bedroom apt in my same neighborhood.

When people move it can cost more than $10,000 to move an entire house's possessions. My possessions give me great joy and I wouldn't get rid off them.

I might look into getting a trusted neighbor or cousin into looking after my house in the future.
Is this a troll poster? In their other post, he says that he will not move, because of his $37k collection of 26 bikes and $45k in women's clothes.

That's over $82k in stuff. How can somebody not afford a prepaid phone but can still maintain the oil changes and maintenance on 26 bikes and still have a closet for $45k in women's clothes.

What is a MAN doing with $45k in women's clothes? What happened to all the men's clothes?

There is plenty of money in the $82k of stuff for a prepaid minutes for future employers.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
What is a MAN doing with $45k in women's clothes? What happened to all the men's clothes?
Okay just what are you implying?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
I'm one of those people that don't use a cell phone much. I have a Pre-Pay Tmobile cell phone, which I load up on $100 yearly to last a year, - about 1000 minutes. I hardly use 1000 minutes in a year. Right now my cell phone has about 3200 minutes accumulated. So I save a lot on not having a monthly payment. But I hate my cheap Nokia cell phone. I don't need a smartphone or iPhone either, waste of money on data plans...
I use my cell phone for car emergencies and vacations or when traveling. When I'm in a hotel I save in cell phone time by using Skype phone calls to home, through my Dell E1705 either through Wifi or 56k Dial up modem [AOL].

But my biggest gripe is when recruiter call me on my cell phone. I specifically list on my Monster resume, Careerbuilder resume, and in my cover letters to not call my cell phone, but they ignore this! And so it hurt me many times when I turned on my cell phone to discover many job calls left unanswered and they got old.

I hate it when many companies and recruiter think a cell phone is the best way to contact you. How about you? - What's your preferred method of phone contact for jobs?
My cell phone. You may want to look into going unlimited. Worst case, you can pay by the day on AT&T or Verizon and get unlimited calls for that day only. Best case you can get monthly unlimited service for like $50 a month.

No need to do Skype to save money when you can just get unlimited talk/text when you need it. I like Google Voice, I use it with my 4 inch tablet. VoIP works well if you have a really strong signal.

People prefer to do business on a phone. Sign up for Google Voice and tie it into your cell phone. Give out your Google Voice number; when they leave a message, you'll get a text message with a transcription of that voice mail, so you don't waste money calling voice mail to see who called. Go to voice.google.com and call them back. No money involved at all.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
I've been unemployed for 4 years 3 months and the best way to contact me is the home phone. But I could check my cell phone every other day to solve this problem too. It's just that people should realize that some people are just low usage cell phone pre-pay customers.
Not in this day and age. You paid 10 cents a minute on a prepaid. No wonder you don't want to lose those minutes. Pay $50 already for unlimited minutes.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM

131 posts, read 260,739 times
My preferred method is Email, I have a pay by the minute cell phone ($20.00 every three months). I seldom use it other then calling my wife, I also do not give out my number on my resume. I do not like junk calls wasting my money, and consider any job too lazy or busy to be able to respond first by Email not worth dealing with. Otherwise, any job I work at that shows respect for the use of my money gets a cell phone and my car satellite number.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

Is this a troll poster? In their other post, he says that he will not move, because of his $37k collection of 26 bikes and $45k in women's clothes.

That's over $82k in stuff. How can somebody not afford a prepaid phone but can still maintain the oil changes and maintenance on 26 bikes and still have a closet for $45k in women's clothes.

There is plenty of money in the $82k of stuff for a prepaid minutes for future employers.
wow. good find. now I have even less sympathy than I did before.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
wow. good find. now I have even less sympathy than I did before.
Is that actually possible? I found myself with little to no (call that no) sympathy earlier...is having "less sympathy" possible?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Is that actually possible? I found myself with little to no (call that no) sympathy earlier...is having "less sympathy" possible?
barely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment