U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,159 posts, read 1,596,358 times
Reputation: 1547

Advertisements

I'm considering going back to school to get my degree in web design. I'm looking to work mainly from a home office, with flexibility in hours.

My question is, what do you think the outlook for job opportunities will be in two years, for web page designers? Technology changes so fast, is it possible to specialize in this field and still be relevant and in demand in the next few years, and into the next decade? Any opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: NC
6,032 posts, read 7,784,944 times
Reputation: 6362
Why do you need a degree in this? Alot of people learn on their own, build a portfolio, and find work. You would be better suited getting a Graphic Design degree and pick up the web site skills along the way.

Outlook? The internet has been around for years, so new websites are not springing up as often. I don't think it is in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,159 posts, read 1,596,358 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Why do you need a degree in this? Alot of people learn on their own, build a portfolio, and find work. You would be better suited getting a Graphic Design degree and pick up the web site skills along the way.

Outlook? The internet has been around for years, so new websites are not springing up as often. I don't think it is in demand.
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of that, graphic design degree and learning web language skills along the way. That seems to be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
 
Location: North Fulton
1,039 posts, read 2,086,599 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
I'm considering going back to school to get my degree in web design. I'm looking to work mainly from a home office, with flexibility in hours.

My question is, what do you think the outlook for job opportunities will be in two years, for web page designers? Technology changes so fast, is it possible to specialize in this field and still be relevant and in demand in the next few years, and into the next decade? Any opinions on this?
I think web design positions are in decline. The Internet is now more user friendly for most average people to design their own webpages or just use social media if they want a web presence. Over recent years, I have spoken to some unemployed web designers in recent years and they would discourage anyone looking for long term work in the design field. I think freelance work is still there for some, but as a growing area, I don't think so just given how much the Internet itself has changed.

You should explore some other options maybe related to this field, but just think it out and watch for trends, and I wish you the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 36,202,106 times
Reputation: 12852
"web design", specifically is not as marketable as UX and UI (User Experience and User Interface) design. Both of which incorporate web design. UX/UI extends across multiple platforms including web, mobile, embedded, etc. Carnegie Mellon has the best program in this area.

If you simply want to be a graphics designer, then you could also look into trade schools or certificate programs. But that's not where the money is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Garden State
2,685 posts, read 3,505,822 times
Reputation: 3548
There seem to be a lot of people designing blogs in WordPress and Blogger for clients. I don't know how much money they make, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,242 posts, read 27,558,871 times
Reputation: 21552
I am developing a brand of my own. In my research I have found products that do it for you. You don't work with a designer, you build your own with the help of a program. In the past they maybe would have only offered a stock set of templates. Today those templates can be customized as you go. They also help you along the way giving you tips as you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
 
5,654 posts, read 17,540,220 times
Reputation: 3996
Lots of people are creating wordpress templates now. Lots of call for UX and UI, and php development.

I would not get a degree in anything printed related to graphic design, that field is completely glutted and print is dying. I would go for video or interactive degree or something like that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,159 posts, read 1,596,358 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
"web design", specifically is not as marketable as UX and UI (User Experience and User Interface) design. Both of which incorporate web design. UX/UI extends across multiple platforms including web, mobile, embedded, etc. Carnegie Mellon has the best program in this area.

If you simply want to be a graphics designer, then you could also look into trade schools or certificate programs. But that's not where the money is.
Thanks for all the advice. Greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top