U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,399 times

Advertisements

Non-official meaning there were no funds to support such an event as was traditional at my new employer. So they are on their own and it is at a house of a manager.

I guess maybe 30-40 people. It is a drive for me, so I figure I would not drink.
I actually don't want to go but fear that it will look bad.

Before I go into anything too cyncial around the holidays, do you have any tips for surviving?
If it's only 3 hours long, would it look bad to leave after an hour?
What if I refuse to participate in something that I consider stupid?
Is it a secret team builder or will people actually act like people and not bottom kissers and robots?
Yes, I'm an introvert and will be skulking around in no time, most likely hiding.
Seriously, no one will remember I even went...should I bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,189,081 times
If you want to go, then go. If you don't want to go, then don't.

It is that simple.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,955,257 times
At least you have an option...last year the company I worked for had a (mandatory) party attendance

Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM

6,425 posts, read 4,251,728 times
Dude, don't go if you don't want to go. Just make up a family member's sickness. Or say you have plans, etc.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM

13,450 posts, read 9,463,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
At least you have an option...last year the company I worked for had a (mandatory) party attendance
The last company I worked for did that to the management team. Managers were required to attend. Fortunately, though I was considered part of the management team, my title didn't include that word so I didn't have to go. ( I'd been there many years when they pulled that stunt.)

OP, if I were you, I'd show up. You said it's a new employer. Show up, eat some appetizers. Bring a bottle of wine or something and say good-bye after an hour or so if you are not enjoying yourself. Remember to graciously thank your host.

If you get "Why are you leaving so early?" Say " I had trouble sleeping last night and I am exhausted, but thanks so much for inviting me. It's been great."

Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,708,602 times
"Oh I wish I could go but my family is having a get together that night..."

Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM

10,743 posts, read 25,362,614 times
Find a work friend who is going, and then stick to them at the party, so you can survive it. Otherwise, just put on a happy face and enjoy yourself as best you can, because you don't have to stay for the entire time, unless it is a structured affair with a sit down dinner. This party does not sound like that, so you could leave after an hour. Odds are that you won't even be questioned as to why you are leaving, but the fact that you attended will be appreciated.

I agree with the above advice about bringing a decent bottle of wine, and being sure to make a point to thank the host/hostess for a lovely evening, and wish them the best during the season. Rather than saying "Oh, John/Jane didn't even show up, as a new employee..." they would have the impression "Well, that was great that John/Jane showed up and enjoyed themselves..." The host is going out-of-pocket with the expenses, so while it may be unofficial from the company's perspective, it's personal to the host/hostess, opening their home to co-workers. You should try to enjoy yourself, and even if it's a little out of your comfort zone, since it's an expression of appreciation to the host/hostess.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,584,301 times
Go and have a good time. Christmas parties can be fun, despite what many people on here think.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,424,232 times
I'd say go. Keep an open mind. Have a good time. You do not have to stay for the whole thing, but I think it's good to put in an appearance. You might have fun. Not drinking is probably a good idea, or drinking only minimally. I find that's good policy in general at a company gathering of any sort.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,001,996 times
You are way over thinking this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or