Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:30 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times

Advertisements

I've been happy on my aerospace job of 2 years until the last 3 months or so when new management has taken over... I still enjoy the job and my co-workers, I just can't stand the management.

I received a job offer this week doing the exact same work for another local aerospace company... at a 35% increase in pay. I work a M-Thur schedule at my current job (Job A), so after accepting the new job (Job B) on Weds I decided to come work Job B for Friday and today (they work a M-Fri schedule with some Sat OT) to see if I liked it. I figured why not... if Job B is a nightmare I can just go back to Job A with no worries. By the way, the main differences between the 2 jobs is Job A has about a dozen supervisors and managers that are pretty much clueless and make my job more difficult while Job B has 1 person in charge (the owner) who hands me the work orders and goes back inside the office.

So anyway, I tried out Job B and I like it... so now I have to make plans to leave Job A and I am wondering if I should give notice. I've already asked a couple Job A co-workers and they told me "it doesn't matter if you give notice because whatever your reasons for leaving they will never hire you back." I am still due an end of month bonus as well as an end of year profit share bonus as well as 2 weeks of vacation that I MUST take in order to get paid for it. My vacation also rolls over to another 2 weeks for 2013 on Jan 1st. My worry is this... I give notice on Monday and they say "You can go ahead and go right now" and I lose my bonuses as well as the vacation pay.

So what I want to do is take the 2 weeks vacation for 2012 from Job A and go to work at Job B. Then on Jan 1st 2013 take another 2 weeks vacation from Job A while continuing to work Job B. Then just quit... which will probably be an email to one of many on the management team.

I don't want to burn any bridges when I leave Job A but I don't want to lose bonuses or vacation pay either.... I mean, if they can fire me at will I can quit at will right? I can work Job B while getting 4 weeks vacation and bonuses from Job A then just quit... Or give them notice and risk losing it all? To me it's not worth the risk even if I do end up burning a bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
You probably have more job experience than me but when you find it "time", I would put in the notice. That way you still have a reference and it'll look bad if you just up and quit in my opinion. You can also point out in the future if you ever try getting another job that Job A might give you a bad reference even though you left on good terms. If you give the heads up before hand (and maybe explain why) they *should* be understanding. You deserve the vacation and bonuses, so if you can hold down two jobs at once and still live life, I say go for it. After vacation and bonus pay is paid, give notice and leave after the date you've said.

All in all, it's up to you, but you're very lucky to of found a similar job, especially in this economy! Best of luck to you.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Why burn bridges? Current management will be replaced by others, possibly those replacements come from internal. If you need to apply in the future, do you want on your file "no 2 weeks notice,missed deadline due to employees unexpected departure" ?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM

385 posts, read 615,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
So what I want to do is take the 2 weeks vacation for 2012 from Job A and go to work at Job B. Then on Jan 1st 2013 take another 2 weeks vacation from Job A while continuing to work Job B. Then just quit... which will probably be an email to one of many on the management team.
Check your employee handbook as some companies won't pay out for holiday or vacation days unless you work the day beforehand and afterward. The policy is in place partly to prevent employees from doing exactly what you're planning.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. To my knowledge there is no policy in place regarding the day before and day after... I've not heard of it nor is it stated in the handbook.

I guess my best solution is to take the vacation for 2012 and get my bonuses... Then put in notice the first week of 2013 while taking vacation.

Only risk then would be 2 weeks vacation pay... And the bridge would (hopefully) remain intact.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You can't have everything. I don't see how you can collect everything you are looking to collect and not burn any bridges by quitting immediately.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM

I have somewhat of a grudge against my employer because I've yet to get a raise in 2 years. Not a single cent.

My last review was positive but I got the "raises aren't in the budget" response when I brought it up...

I just find it hard to believe coming from a company who sends out a corporate newsletter last week thanking everyone for their efforts in a year with $68B in worldwide sales and also stated the 2013 goal is $750M in new contracts.

Grats to the shareholders eh?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:39 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Thanks for the responses. To my knowledge there is no policy in place regarding the day before and day after... I've not heard of it nor is it stated in the handbook.

I guess my best solution is to take the vacation for 2012 and get my bonuses... Then put in notice the first week of 2013 while taking vacation.

Only risk then would be 2 weeks vacation pay... And the bridge would (hopefully) remain intact.
You will likely not end up getting the 2 weeks in 2013. Once you quit, they will no longer agree to allow you to have the vacation time. GUaranteed. Yes, they will have approved it, but they will rescind the approval the minute you quit.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You will likely not end up getting the 2 weeks in 2013. Once you quit, they will no longer agree to allow you to have the vacation time. GUaranteed. Yes, they will have approved it, but they will rescind the approval the minute you quit.
That's what I am preparing for... Still a better deal than giving notice now and possibly losing 4 weeks pay and bonuses.

I actually just checked the payroll calendar and my vacation hours are already posted. When I do give notice it will definitely be after my end of year 2012 payroll has processed and hit the bank.

I am paid weekly with payroll processing done on Monday. We'll see what happens. Still got a month.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:54 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
What are the laws on the payment of vacation on WA? In CA if it has accrued it is considered wages. I would look into the laws in WA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment