Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 7,892 times

Advertisements

About 3 months ago I was given a good work review. They said I was doing well and am exactly where I should have been as far as job performance.

Then 3 months after receiving this review, I was given severance without any real reason and directed to HR for any questions.

I ask HR a couple questions. First does signing the severance package make me ineligible for unemployment, what do I put down for unemployment (fired, laid off, etc.), and what is my job status for when I apply for oher employers (fired, laid off, etc.).

HR responded saying that even if I sign the severance document I am still absolutely elligible for unemployment. They also say I can tell unemployment and future employers whatever I want. They did not elude to what my status wasin their minds.

I have since received both the severance and my unemployment benefits.

Even on my severance documents it does not state why I am no longer employed and I can't get a straightforward answer out of anybody.

All of these things make me think that I was laid off, but I don't know what I should tell prospective employers?

Two last things, the severance had a clause stating that I was not eligible for rehire, although I don't know if that is just a standard policy for them. Also I live in an at will state so they don't really have to tell me anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would probably say I was laid off. It could have been anything. Maybe one of the higher up managers wanted to hire his niece. Maybe you offended someone in another department that has friends in high places. If it were a well-justified reason they would have told you. Sometimes people get laid off but the company doesn't want layoffs to affect their stock price, or just prefer not to have the publicity affect their bottom line if customers find out. If you are friendly with any former co-workers you might see if they have heard any rumors, but otherwise you will never know. Even being laid off is seen as negative by potential employers, but it sounds better than being fired and not knowing why. That sounds like you are hiding something.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
In Texas, you can collect unemployment and severance. At my last employer, I was given a severance package. I called the unemployment office for answers. The severance package would not affect benefits usually. It will vary from state to state, though. You could also go online to your local unemployment office website and search for severance.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 PM

I am not worried about severance or unemployment as I am collecting both.currently. I am more concerned about my current status and what I should tell future employers.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If you say fired, it will hurt your employment prospects. You should say "laid off".

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
You can tell prospective employers you were laid off or your position was eliminated.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Thank you all for you reply so far. There was one thing I forgot to mention. When I was given my severance I was told I was not a good fit. That was all though...so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

I also never received any kind of discipline or documentation for anything I did during my time there...

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
What is your hesitation with telling people you were laid off?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM

That is a very good question. Mostly it is because I am worried that when a potential job would call this place they might say I am not eligible for rehire, which might cause the potential job to think I am lieing. Also if I need to give references, they would speak well of me, but if the potential job were to ask then, "are you aware of any lay offs" I don't know what my references might say, because officially as far as I know I am the only one that got laid off. This could also make me look funny. Am I overthinking things?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
His hesitation is because he was fired. And I think he knows that he is just waiting for someone to call him on it. Well here you go...

You were given a severance and were told you are not rehireable. You were also told you were not a good fit.

You were not laid off, as part of being laid off is being rehireable. They lay you off because there is no work or position for you...but if there is one, and you were really laid off, you would have a shot at going back to the company.

You didn't quit because, well, I am guessing that was obvious.

You were fired and because you know that, you are relucatant to say you were laid off...as you should be. If you tell new employers you were laid off, there is every possibility they will call the old company to verify this. And guessing the company will not. And, before anyone comments that employers don't give reasons for leaving, they usually will when it is a legitimate lay off and the person was a valued player.

So, OP should be worried about saying he was laid off when he was fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment